camapg vento and mirage - any good?

TheGreatGatsby
TheGreatGatsby Posts: 818
edited August 2008 in Workshop
I'm rebuilding my pinarello angliru for the winter and was thinking of going campag mirage groupset and vento wheels and was just wondering of this is any good? Its only a winter/commuter and is currently on tiagra/most mix and shimano wheels but after the accidents and 10 months of harsh weather its all wrecked.

any opinions would be great my budget is about £300 for everything.

ta

Gats

Comments

• redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Handbuilt wheels on Mirage hubs maybe better than Ventos.

Mirage works just fine, but if you shop around you might be able to get Veloce cheaper.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Handbuilt wheels on Mirage hubs maybe better than Ventos.

Mirage works just fine, but if you shop around you might be able to get Veloce cheaper.

I've got two sets of open pros on mirage hubs and they are decent traing wheels - very robust (no truing required in over a year).

i would say that the mirage hubs aren't the best in terms of coping with very wet weather. i had to have the rear hub completely rebuilt on my commuter after only 3 months of riding (albeit in some very wet conditions) which i think is pretty crap even fo a cheap hub so next time i'd probalby stretch to record hubs as they have better seals and bearings
    pm
  • acorn_user
    acorn_user Posts: 1,137
    I don't think you will be able to buy the groupset and wheels together for 300. The groupset is usually around that plus 100 for the wheels.
  • Slow Downcp
    Slow Downcp Posts: 3,041
    Merlin Cycles have Mirage GS for £157 (less hubs), but no Veloce at the moment by the look of things (they were around £230, may be worth ringing them). You should be able to pick up Veloce and wheels for a bit more than the £300 mark.
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • ColinJ
    ColinJ Posts: 2,218
    Doesn't Mirage have horrible (flexible) plastic levers? I'm sure I remember looking at a Mirage-equipped bike years back and being put off by the levers.
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    ColinJ wrote:
    Doesn't Mirage have horrible (flexible) plastic levers? I'm sure I remember looking at a Mirage-equipped bike years back and being put off by the levers.

They are alloy now.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Mirage groupset id fine apart from the plastic Ergo levers - just buy the Veloce ones instead. Much of the Veloce stuff is just Mirage with better finish - worth checking the specs on the Campagnolo website. Mirage hubs now use cartridge bearings - easy/cheap to replace. You need to go to Chorus for the better hub design - Record is no more durable, just lighter IME.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • I spoke to Merlin and they can't do Italian BB or clamp on front mechs which is a bit poo.

Gats
  • gkerr4
    gkerr4 Posts: 3,408
    thats not a killer though - if its a UT chainset then it is like £8 for the cups and if you can get a braze-on mech then the band-on adapter is only £9 - so it might work out £17 more but if it is a good price....
  • that sound like a plan

gats
  • just done a quick bit of hunting and found that I can get the Vento clincher reaction wheels, Italian threaded BB cups, clamp on adapter and full mirage groupset for less than £330 which ain't bad really is it? It is only a commuter/training bike to keep my colnago nice throughout the winter months. With a price like that I may treat me butt to a spesh toupe aswell!!

Worth going for on a Pinarello? Whaddya reckon?

gats