No Cav at TOB !

claudb
claudb Posts: 212
edited September 2008 in Pro race
It is now reported that Cav is going to the Tour of Missouri - http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/No_Cavendish_at_2008_Tour_of_Britain_article_266458.html
What's going on here, can Cav not ride in the same team as Wiggins ??
Is there some muck in here somewhere hanging over from Beijing ??
What's the 'Bitterness' about the Madison that Cav mentioned post-stage yesterday ??

Comments

• iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Are they scared of wierdo's on the BR forum with their testosterone gel?
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • claudb
    ... or no sense of humour !!
  • iainf72
    It probably is that the US race is more important to them as an American sponsor

He'll definately win them some stages.

Perhaps Cav is bitter that his only medal option was the madison where as he could've maybe got one elsewhere?
  • deal
    deal Posts: 857
    Cavendish has every right to be pissed, looked to be in great shape himself but not given the 2nd individual pursuit spot so he could be fresh for the Madison, ends up not getting a medal due to being stuck with a partner in Wiggins who is too tired to mount any kind of challenge - the man who previously rode both the team and individual pursuit - the need to go into the Madison fresh aparently did not extend to Wiggins.

I think Cavendish has every right to be bitter over his treatment by British Cycling.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,805
    deal wrote:
    Cavendish has every right to be pissed, looked to be in great shape himself but not given the 2nd individual pursuit spot so he could be fresh for the Madison, ends up not getting a medal due to being stuck with a partner in Wiggins who is too tired to mount any kind of challenge - the man who previously rode both the team and individual pursuit - the need to go into the Madison fresh aparently did not extend to Wiggins.

I think Cavendish has every right to be bitter over his treatment by British Cycling.

wiggins did the triple earlier in the year at the worlds so the team selection in hindsight didn't look that unreasonable

the fact wiggins couldn't perform that day is one of things

thats cycling.. who else manning ... newton... maybe?
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Cumulonimbus
    Cumulonimbus Posts: 1,730
    As regards Wiggins, i did see something saying that he had done more rounds in the Olympics than the worlds and that this may have tired him out for the madison? If true, perhaps someone should have thought of that?
  • emadden
    emadden Posts: 2,431
    I wonder will Wiggo be going to a new team next year....
    www.dotcycling.com
  • squired
    squired Posts: 1,153
    From what I've seen/heard Cav is really p'd off with Bradley. It probably didn't help when Bradley made the comment about how he didn't get three golds, but still managed two, so was still happy. There was nothing to suggest that he felt bad about not being able to ensure Cav also got one. Lets not forget that Cav was originally supposed to be in the individual pursuit, but presumably didn't take part so that he would be in better shape for the second race he was taking part in.

I thought both Cav and Bradley were supposed to be doing Ireland and the TOB, so am assuming they have had a major falling out. I know Cav shows some arrogance, but Bradley seems to have been displaying some serious arrogance recently. Two arrogant people aren't going to get on or apologise.
  • emadden
    im gonna stick my neck out here... I reckon Wiggo will be riding on a cervelo next year.... He isnt exactly a brilliant road rider.. and save for a few 2nd or thirds here and there in TTs, the guy may now a problem for the team's ace publicity rider Cav
    www.dotcycling.com
  • iainf72
    Cavendish interview today was revealing - "Beijing wasn't my job. This is my job". My dislike of Cav is softening a bit - I like the fact he's acting like a professional and realising riding on a wooden oval isn't that exciting.
  • ms_tree
    ms_tree Posts: 1,405
    iainf72 wrote:
    Cavendish interview today was revealing - "Beijing wasn't my job. This is my job". My dislike of Cav is softening a bit - I like the fact he's acting like a professional and realising riding on a wooden oval isn't that exciting.

Yeah Iain I say that interview tonight and thought Mmm don't think he'll be going to the Brailsford road team somehow. He looks tired though and the great Sean said as much. BTW Is Sean REALLY that tall or is Gary Imlach tiny?
    'Google can bring back a hundred thousand answers. A librarian can bring you back the right one.'
    Neil Gaiman
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Imlach's a runt :wink:

Cavendish is the best British cyclist going and arguably, he's one of the sports top riders, full stop.

His sprint is phenomenal. I'm normally bored by the sprinters, I want a breakaway to leave me in suspense all the way to the finish line but the power and skill of this guy is just something very special. The way he smoked the field four times in the Tour de France was just phenomenal. Granted, Boonen and Pettachi were out for inhaling the wrong things but that's their problem and he's still a kid learning the ropes at times.
  • May be reading to much into this.

British racing public want to see cav but the wider british public only care about Beijing medal winners and will wonder why Chris Hoy is not riding :?
    So from columbia stand point they can win Big PR selling Wiggins as Olympic medalist and over in US sell cav as fastes man ona bike/ 4 tour stages etc.
    Columbia is a US team and need to use there biggest asset there, outside Cav they have hincapie but he will not captiavte public like cav.

Also we all know cav feels (rightly so you could add) that he is not appreciated in UK for his achievements in Tour. Easily up there with a multi-medal perf in olympics.
  • Noodley
    Noodley Posts: 1,725
    IMO Cav has been somewhat 'ignored' despite his Tour wins due to the focus on Track medals. I reckon it highlights that the track regime of success will not transfer to road, as a different mentality is required for road - which was highlighted by Robert Millar years ago!
  • iainf72
    Kléber wrote:
    His sprint is phenomenal. I'm normally bored by the sprinters, I want a breakaway to leave me in suspense all the way to the finish line but the power and skill of this guy is just something very special. The way he smoked the field four times in the Tour de France was just phenomenal. Granted, Boonen and Pettachi were out for inhaling the wrong things but that's their problem and he's still a kid learning the ropes at times.

But what happens when this carries on and on and on and on - It's got to the point where you know if it comes to a sprint he's going to win. His positioning is getting better and he's getting good at making a bit of room for himself.

It could make the sprints even more boring than they usually are.
  • Kléber
    Road cycling is never that predictable plus we might also have a sub plot, the soap opera of Greipel, Ciolek and Boasson Hagen all thinking "I can sprint too".
  • Cumulonimbus
    Cumulonimbus Posts: 1,730
    Hadnt thought of things that way before. In a very competitive sport Cav wins four stages of teh tour de france, doubling the previous best by a Briton. In an arguably less competitive sport someone wins three gold medals (all in similar events) - he is put up for sports personality while cavendish isnt even mentioned. Ok, so it does say sports personality but ive never seen anyone partially nominated for their charity work :wink:

EDIT: For all this talk of a rift between Cav and Wiggins - Wiggins did a lot of work for Cav in the Giro - would he have got his wins if Wiggins hadnt been there? Maybe Cav will be more forgiving than may otherwise be thought. Also, when was the last moment that the madison team could have been changed? Did it have to be decided a long time before or could it be decided on the day? If they had trained a lot together then maybe the people in charge thought it was better if they give it a go rather than an untried combination?
  • Kléber
    Cavendish will be a millionaire with his contract. You can win Olympic gold but you're lucky if you end up on a box of Frosties or advertising health insurance. I doubt he's bitter at all, across Europe he will be a household name and is already a star in the cycling world.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I hope we are maybe reading too much into the Cav/Wiggins spat. Clearly they work well together in the Madison when on fresh legs, and on the road Wiggins does help to get Cav up there at the end. Cav is always very generous with praise for his team - he knows he couldnt do it alone.
  • claudb
    claudb wrote:
    It is now reported that Cav is going to the Tour of Missouri - http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/No_Cavendish_at_2008_Tour_of_Britain_article_266458.html
    What's the 'Bitterness' about the Madison that Cav mentioned post-stage yesterday ??

My original comments were intended as a bit of mischievious fun but it seems from your responses there are a few with doubts about the relationship between Cav and Wiggo.
    Having seen Cav's interview last night though, I reckon he's well on the way to getting over it all - whatever was behind it. I'm still delirious that we have so many riders making waves in the sport on so many fronts and am over the moon with that. It's maybe just a pity that Cav won't be at the TOB just for the many pure fans who have come on board recently
    but I've never seen cycling in GB in such an exciting and optimistic shape - on road, track, and pretty much everywhere else !!
  • DavidBelcher
    DavidBelcher Posts: 2,684
    Kléber wrote:
    Road cycling is never that predictable plus we might also have a sub plot, the soap opera of Greipel, Ciolek and Boasson Hagen all thinking "I can sprint too".

I seem to recall during the TdF that Cav himself said words to the effect that having Ciolek nearby in sprint finishes gave Columbia a "Plan B" option rather than him bearing all the onus of bagging the team's wins on the flatter stages.

David
    "It is not enough merely to win; others must lose." - Gore Vidal
  • in all this talk about the Madison, I thought that the idea was to combine a sprinter and a stayer, one to bag the points, the other to bag the laps.

Probably a gross over simplification, but, they didn't get many points or take any laps, so is it really fair to put blame totally on the shoulders of Mr Wiggins?
  • richa
    richa Posts: 1,631
    Kléber wrote:
    You can win Olympic gold but you're lucky if you end up on a box of Frosties
    Errr....
    kellyholmes.jpg
    Rich
  • richa
    richa Posts: 1,631
    I think Brad said something along the lines of...
    I was tired. I let Cav down a bit. But I have carried him (or words to that effect) in the past, so...

Not sure Cav would have taken that too well.

Also Cav is a winner. He will not have liked being the only member of the track team to be coming back in economy (without a medal).
    Rich
  • Tim Farr
    Tim Farr Posts: 665
    My hunch is that both riders were tired. In that race how many laps did they gain? None. How many sprint points? Not many. Prbably Bradley was fatigued from his efforts in the pursuit and team pursuit and Mark from the TdeF and post tour crits. It was a cock up. The riders and Team GB will learn from this
    T Farr
  • Tim Farr
    Tim Farr Posts: 665
    Correction to previous post 'it was a fool up' should have been 'it was a cock up' !!!
    T Farr
  • claudb wrote:

good,we wont have to put up with his greetin'faced puss on whatever telly highlights there are of the TOB
  • leguape
    leguape Posts: 986
    If you were Cav and you had a a choice between being one of the favoured riders of a guy who managed the career of the most successful rider (in terms of earnings) in the history of the sport or putting your lot in with a bit of patriotic fervour and not a lo else to recommend them in road racing at the top level, which way would you go?

The only reason there's any suggestion of a spat is because Cav is still a kid and doesn't know when to stay schtum. Let's not forget that after the team pursuit Wiggins mentioned that he'd managed to get enough rest despite "Cav buggering about in the flat" that morning. Or that it was Wiggins' power and staying ability that got them the gap and put them in position to win the Madison at the Worlds.
  • emadden
    emadden wrote:
    I wonder will Wiggo be going to a new team next year....

haahaaa says he tapping the side of his nose :P
    www.dotcycling.com
  • Coriander
    Coriander Posts: 1,326
    leguape wrote:
    The only reason there's any suggestion of a spat is because Cav is still a kid and doesn't know when to stay schtum. Let's not forget that after the team pursuit Wiggins mentioned that he'd managed to get enough rest despite "Cav buggering about in the flat" that morning. Or that it was Wiggins' power and staying ability that got them the gap and put them in position to win the Madison at the Worlds.

Oh, I heard that as Cath - Wiggins's wife. I wonder which he actually said.