Foodie Thread

Clever Pun
Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
edited August 2008 in The bottom bracket
The coffee thread got me thinking about more of the nice consumable things in life

Does anyone else here appreciate nice restaurants, fine wines and the like???

I recently went to the Waterside Inn in bray and while pocket shreddingly expensive it was stunning in every possible way.

Anyone else been to anything a bit good lately? any recomendations?
Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
Fixed Pista- FCN 5
Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14

Comments

• ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    The cherwell boathouse in oxford is pretty nice.
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    Fat Duck in Bray is better :lol::lol::lol:

The Forenza in Maidenhead is pretty nice IMO. But not worth a trip from London

The French Horn in Sonning is good if you like that sort of thing...

I generally just like a good restaurant with a nice atmosphere though, when I go out to eat I want to have a relaxing time as well as some good food. HOWEVER, that doesn't extend to letting dogs in the restaurant.

I also like the various "Browns" dotted around London, but mainly caus I always go there with some good friends.
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    browns are pretty rubbish in my experience, I love the ambience at the trout, although the food is uninspired.

THE BIG BANG is amazing (a bangers and mash restaurant!!!!)
  • Clever Pun
    Jez mon wrote:
    Fat Duck in Bray is better :lol::lol::lol:

The Forenza in Maidenhead is pretty nice IMO. But not worth a trip from London

The French Horn in Sonning is good if you like that sort of thing...

I generally just like a good restaurant with a nice atmosphere though, when I go out to eat I want to have a relaxing time as well as some good food. HOWEVER, that doesn't extend to letting dogs in the restaurant.

I also like the various "Browns" dotted around London, but mainly caus I always go there with some good friends.

Been to the Fat Duck as well... both are amazing experiences with Waterside being traditional french and the fat duck being just bizarre. I'd go back to the FD for the al la carte but the tasting menu just doesn't change.

I'm planning on booking a holiday around a reservation for El Buli... that sounds a bit special too.

Localwise le Cassoulet in croydon opened a while back and is the best in the area by a long way, the Chateaubriand is very nice indeed.
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • Mancoes serves the best fish platter I've ever tasted. But it's in Barcelona so maybe a bit pointless for this thread. :shock:
    'How can an opinion be bullsh1t?' High Fidelity
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    The best place I've been to is the Papagalia?? (Parrot in Italian). Unfortunately it's in Bologna so not really practical! It was (apparently) Pavaroti's favourite resturant (they had a special chair for him!), and I was only about 8 at the time, but I can remember eating a big Lasagne and my mother's fillet steak with balsamic and then a huge bowl of cheries and then a huge chocolatey desert! Needless to say i was kind of full.

Belguim has some nice food, and some pretty bad food too, most places do excellent chips though!

I've not been to France much, but I've had some pretty terrible food there (in the tourist areas though)
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    My son worked at the FD and Hinds Head (Heston's pub) in Bray till recently. The labour-intensive nature of the work that goes on to produce the food is incredible, and whilst prices are high they do reflect the costs of producing food of this standard. That said, the chefs are poorly paid (several of them work there for free!) and they work huge numbers of hours.

My son is now starting his own foodie pub venture - I'll give you a plug when the kitchen is up and running.

By the way, Browns - absolute garbage, last time I ate in there I got an asparagus tart that was made with sweet pastry!!!!! :twisted:
  • Clever Pun
    Mancoes serves the best fish platter I've ever tasted. But it's in Barcelona so maybe a bit pointless for this thread. :shock:

No this information is good... when I go on holiday I don't want tourist tripe I want nice...

I was in Cagnes Sur Mer last week (near Nice) and went to Le Cagnard which had a very reasonable lunch summer menu including wine, with lovely views an more foie grais than you can shake a stick at
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • Clever Pun
    Jez mon wrote:
    The best place I've been to is the Papagalia?? (Parrot in Italian). Unfortunately it's in Bologna so not really practical! It was (apparently) Pavaroti's favourite resturant (they had a special chair for him!), and I was only about 8 at the time, but I can remember eating a big Lasagne and my mother's fillet steak with balsamic and then a huge bowl of cheries and then a huge chocolatey desert! Needless to say i was kind of full.

Belguim has some nice food, and some pretty bad food too, most places do excellent chips though!

I've not been to France much, but I've had some pretty terrible food there (in the tourist areas though)

In Bruges I ate in a place that had beers to match the menu rather than wine...YES
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • robbarker
    robbarker Posts: 1,367
    Monmouthshire is a a foodies paradise ut two that stand out are the Crown at Whitebrook - the degustation menu with samples of several wines is stunning - and the Foxhunter at Nant Y Derry.
  • Scrumple
    Scrumple Posts: 2,665
    edited August 2008
    I had a hot apple pie at Xmas, from Mcdonalds. And it had custard in.
    How good is that!
  • Scrumple
    Scrumple Posts: 2,665
    More seriously...
    Try Sat Bains taster menu in Nottingham.
  • shazzz
    shazzz Posts: 1,077
    I had black pudding and scallops at J Sheekey a while ago. It really was orgasmic.

There's a place near the Louvre (Paris, you know) called Le Fumoir where the main course was average but the starter I had - herring marinated in Xeres - was out of this world. I'm dribbling all over the keyboard right now.
  • shazzz
    shazzz Posts: 1,077
    BTW, clever pun - no offence meant and all that but I imagine you're a long haired tattooed doom monger. What kind of reaction do you get from les maitre d'??? Do they run and hide, or do you scrub up well???
    :wink:
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    Thompsons chip wagon on Great Yarmouth market is fabulous. If you haven't been to GY then you might think me mad, but on the market there is about 6 chips stalls and everybody has their favorite one. Also various shellfish,tripe,jot and chitterling stalls to complement.
  • markos1963 wrote:
    Thompsons chip wagon on Great Yarmouth market is fabulous. If you haven't been to GY then you might think me mad, but on the market there is about 6 chips stalls and everybody has their favorite one. Also various shellfish,tripe,jot and chitterling stalls to complement.

I'm going to Whitby tomorrow to get some proper fish and chips, looking forward to it muchly.

It's a good job I like cycling to the same extent I love food :lol:
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • Lagavulin
    Lagavulin Posts: 1,688
    Have Colman's of South Shields on my doorstep. Finest fish 'n' chips I've ever had and that inlcudes anything from Whitby, Craster, anywhere really.
    Had some quality frites with mayo in Germany from a hut in Konigswinter having been up the Drachenfels. A while ago mind (1994, '96, and '97).

Last Days of the Raj in Gateshead is outstanding for an Indian, as is The Raj in South Shields. Shame about the calories that accompany these cuisines. Love a good curry. :(

Some fine Japanese and Chinese restaurants in Newcastle too.
  • Clever Pun wrote:
    Mancoes serves the best fish platter I've ever tasted. But it's in Barcelona so maybe a bit pointless for this thread. :shock:

No this information is good... when I go on holiday I don't want tourist tripe I want nice...

Oh, well I've spelt it wrong it's actually MANCHOE'S and it's down in the Olympic Village area. Lovely view across the sea...fantastic. And very reasonable, I thought :wink:
    'How can an opinion be bullsh1t?' High Fidelity