Why are people easily offended on Bikeradar?

redddraggon
redddraggon Posts: 10,862
edited October 2008 in Campaign
Most on here seem a bit like old women, and get offended really easily.

Is it not basic forum etiquette to do a search before posting a new thread?

I need easier gears/what bike to get for £1000 etc etc etc - they've all been covered hundreds of times but people still feel the need to post a new thread without even bothering to do a search - that's laziness.

On other forums mods crack down on it and lock these threads, it's just a shame there's not many mods on here to be able to control the rabble.
I like bikes...

Twitter
Flickr

Comments

• graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    Who are you calling easily offended!? :evil: :x

I don't have to take this kind of abuse from you, I'm leaving!
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • redddraggon
    I really think we could do with a sticky on "Help I need smaller gears! - what can I do?"
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • nicklouse
    Well lets get one started and then we can add it to the FAQ part of the forum.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • redddraggon
    nicklouse wrote:
    Well lets get one started and then we can add it to the FAQ part of the forum.

OK will do...
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • redddraggon
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopi ... 6#14937866

Feel free to add anything useful.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • nicklouse
    made it a sticky for a while.
  • sicrow
    sicrow Posts: 791
    Can I add my handbag to this thread :wink:
  • Nuggs
    Nuggs Posts: 1,804
    Reddragon what you need to realise is that people have feelings. They may not have the same feelings as you, but that's what makes us special, each and every one.

Just because 30 people have asked what road bike for £700 and there are 20 posts about moving to lower gearing, we should embrace those people like a loving mother.

Just because people can't be arsed to do a forum search or even read the sticky at the top of the page which answer their questions many times over, that doesn't mean we shouldn't all rush to help. I mean, who could possibly ever get bored repeating the 'Specialized Allez, Giant SCR or Trek 1.7' mantra? Who could possibly get annoyed at recommending people actually practice climbing hills before resorting to triples? Who could possibly be bothered about answering questions about how groupsets are ranked? And who could ever tire of the thrilling Campag v Shimano debate?

Answer:

Me :evil: :evil: :evil:
  • jam1e
    jam1e Posts: 1,066
    See, I thought this was going to be out the Mr Angry types lurking around the forum.

You know the type I mean, always getting their knickers in a twist at any perceived criticism of The Holy Cycling Empire. They'll normally use lines such as "I do have a sense of humour actually but I just don't think it's funny to..." and reply to posts purely to point out a spelling mistake etc when even a cursory glance at their posts reveals that they to are not immune to the influences of the mongtype monster. They're made even more endearing by their tendancy to resort to personal abuse fairly quickly.

But it isn't so I won't comment...

...other than to say that I've noticed pedantry and offendability seem to go hand in hand on internet forums...
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    To be fair when i first came to the forum (well the cycling plus forum) I asked a number of silly questions in the beginners section, and never having used a forum before, i didn't really know of things like the search function :oops: I asked stuff which did turn up every now and then such as what pedals, what clothing etc. My questions where answered very well and no one got tetchy and told me to search and bugger off! :wink:

The thing about beginners, they all ask the same questions but they all want individual attention :lol: Personally I think you should stay away from the beginners section if you really get annoyed by having very similar topics turning up again and again.
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • jam1e
    jam1e Posts: 1,066
    Jez mon wrote:
    To be fair when i first came to the forum (well the cycling plus forum) I asked a number of silly questions in the beginners section, and never having used a forum before, i didn't really know of things like the search function :oops: I asked stuff which did turn up every now and then such as what pedals, what clothing etc. My questions where answered very well and no one got tetchy and told me to search and bugger off! :wink:

The thing about beginners, they all ask the same questions but they all want individual attention :lol: Personally I think you should stay away from the beginners section if you really get annoyed by having very similar topics turning up again and again.

And where exactly will the powercrazed get their sense of smug superiority from if not shouting at beginners in the beginners forum? Come on, think it through :lol: !
  • STEFANOS4784
    STEFANOS4784 Posts: 4,109
    I think it would be a good idea to explain that the forum search is BELOW the main site search as that miffed me for ages! :? :oops: Only noticed today the error of my ways :!:
  • For many people using the search misses the point of an interactive forum.

For a forum to operate as an online community it needs online conversation. A load of people who just lurk and read what has gone before does not make for a dynamic community. So what if they ask the same question as someone asked before.

A simple and safe question like 'what bike should I buy' can be a good icebreaker for a new member. Perhaps the answer won't be the same, just because the question is. Perhaps someone different will answer this time. Perhaps a new gizmo or bike has come on the market since last time it was asked.

If you don't want to particpate in any particular topic just ignore it, but don't criticise others for taking part.
  • redddraggon
    For many people using the search misses the point of an interactive forum.

For a forum to operate as an online community it needs online conversation. A load of people who just lurk and read what has gone before does not make for a dynamic community. So what if they ask the same question as someone asked before.

Yes I agree - but why post a new thread when there's already a perfectly good one to post in.

I'm not saying "don't post", I'm saying "don't start a new thread when there's already threads that the conversation can continue in" - that's forum etiquette.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • daz51
    daz51 Posts: 159
    i think its the fact a lot of people like a personal response or a personal touch to their question !!!!!!
  • It is one of the strong points of this and the old C+ forum the welcome for newbies - it is often commented on by them.....I saw such a post the other day....
  • Cunobelin
    Cunobelin Posts: 11,792
    I have no problem with this at all......... in 6 months there will be a hundered new bikes, in the price range, 3 new groupsets from Shimano and a new set of lighting that is better and cheper than before.

People will buy new bikes - so Whilst I could not comment last time, I may have had problems or modified now.

By posting new threads we ensure that the roum is kept up to date, curent and informed.
    <b><i>He that buys land buys many stones.
    He that buys flesh buys many bones.
    He that buys eggs buys many shells,
    But he that buys good beer buys nothing else.</b></i>
    (Unattributed Trad.)
  • It's all these communist, ecowarrior, car-hating veggies! :wink:
    Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.
  • It's all these communist, ecowarrior, car-hating veggies! :wink:

Hey!!!! I'm a veggie.....wanna make something of it, do you, eh? eh? :twisted: :wink:
    'How can an opinion be bullsh1t?' High Fidelity
  • unclemalc
    unclemalc Posts: 563
    :lol:
    Hey reddragon - start up a website with useful advice under the standard headings of 'Which new bike for 50p/500 quid/ limitless budget?'; 'Shimano vs Campag - which one for me?'; 'What gears do I need in Cornwall/Essex/the Alps?', 'What do I eat on Sunday rides >10 miles/< 100miles'; 'Should I wear Rapha gear in public?' etc etc.
    Your intro to gearing, for example, was nicely done 8) .
    That way, if you bump into the same old questions, just shoot off a link with a :evil: on the end and change your name to grumpyreddragon...

No offence meant mate, seriously - it just might save you some angst, and others would benefit. :D
    Spring!
    Singlespeeds in town rule.
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    This is a pretty good tempered forum - have you met the rest of the internet, reddd?
  • CHRISNOIR
    CHRISNOIR Posts: 1,400
    I think one of the best things about this forum is the sheer amount of technical knowledge out there and there’s experienced people, like yerself Redd, who can give good advice. I’m always impressed that very, very few first posts in Beginners go ignored.

A quick look in Cake Stop these days show’s there’s quite a lot of new people out there getting involved and they probably started off with a ‘noob’ question in Beginners – I know I did…

The stickys are an excellent idea as well!
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    biondino wrote:
    This is a pretty good tempered forum - have you met the rest of the internet, reddd?
    It is one of the best mannered of the lot!
  • alfablue wrote:
    biondino wrote:
    It is one of the best mannered of the lot!

Yeah, you should go on 'GRUMPYF@*KERS.COM's forum. It'd open your eyes :shock:
  • Nuggs
    I think the point RD is making is more one of forum ettiquette - i.e. one should search the forums for answers before starting a new thread.
  • Going on the scenario you talk of Reddragon. It would not so much be a forum, more a website of FAQ's. Possibly the problem is that all of the subjects you think worthy of mentioning, have been covered. The forum in a way is failling to keep your attention - so you need to move onto something more indepth. Someone with 25 posts, is not going to have the same breadth of knowledge you possibly have, when in the 4000 region.

I agree with you about some topics which appear every other day. C2W, Allez vs Boardman vs Pinnacle, etc etc. They should be made into "stickies" or whatever the term is.

In a way, possibly this forum fulfills the need of new people joining a local group. Come on here and ask questions - which would possibly otherwise have been asked on a Sunday morning ride or pub-meet.

My cycling is like my running. I am fitter than average - but not fit enough to keep up with the young racing snakes. Stuck in a bit of a void so to speak. Therefore, I will try and build up my fitness and possibly join a group. In the interim, this fulfills a purpose. Good thing about cyclists, they still tend to do other activities. ie walking or climbing. Runners just run, to the point of injuries usually...
  • Strewth. Have you lot considered simply ignoring such threads (new or not) and leaving it to those who do feel the inclination to answer to step into the breach.

You're as precious as a kiwi is about the bloody Mighty All Blacks.
    Regards

Whitbags.
  • whitbags wrote:
    Strewth. Have you lot considered simply ignoring such threads (new or not) and leaving it to those who do feel the inclination to answer to step into the breach.

Errrr..No
  • Nuggs
    whitbags wrote:
    Strewth. Have you lot considered simply ignoring such threads (new or not) and leaving it to those who do feel the inclination to answer to step into the breach.

Errrr..No
    Crazy talk.