Pannier advice - Backroller Classic vs Classic Plus

clanton
clanton Posts: 1,289
edited August 2008 in Tour & expedition
Trying to find out whether the Ortlieb Backroller Plus offers any significant advantages over the Backroller Classic. I see its a different (presumably tougher) material and the mounting system is different - are they worth the extra £20?

Comments

• pneumatic
    pneumatic Posts: 1,989
    Between us, me and my touring pals have got both kinds (and some Vaudes). To be honest I can't see any difference between them in functionality, resilience, capacity or stability. They've all passed any test any of us can put them through.

It comes down to which ones you like the look of best and how much you believe that most expensive always equates with best.

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations
    Eddingtons: 80 (Metric); 60 (Imperial)

• clanton
    clanton Posts: 1,289
    Thanks - classics it is then!
  • andymiller
    andymiller Posts: 2,856
    IIRC the Plus weigh less. Can't remember how significant the weight saving is.

Actually I can - happened to have the Ortlieb catalogue handy. The back roller plus are 110g lighter than the classic while the front roller plus are 30g less than the classics.
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    The QL2 mounting system on the plus allows you to fit the accessory security kit (steel wire loop that you can secure with the bike through your D-lock). The QL2 system is also completely tool-less. The fabric is thinner and more flexible. Personally I don't find any of these features to be crucial and I actually prefer the shiny fabric of the classic.
  • xilios
    xilios Posts: 170
    The new Ortlieb roller classics have the QL2 system also. We bought ours this spring and would highly recomend them. Picture of my bike below.
    his2.jpg