Is your cycle club cliquey?

Alain Quay
Alain Quay Posts: 534
edited August 2014 in The bottom bracket
I am surprised at how many are put off by some local clubs,
that may have inpenetrable rules, codes, etc.

Comments

• spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    create your own club then

Perhaps the members of the club like it the way it is.
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    I think my club isn't that cliquey, certainly compared to some we never leave newbies in the middle of nowhere in the chilterns (although sometimes I think it would be fun to!!!). However, there is abit of politics! We had a bit of a bust up between an old member and a slightly newer one (still been a member for longer than me though) over our club dinner. Which was (thanks to the wonder of e-mail) carried out in public!

The thing about club riding is, people join some clubs in order to go training with similar cyclists in order to get fit for racing. Having newbies on your rides isn't good for this, add this to the fact that some poeple are miserable buggers, and you can see that some clubs naturally don't want new strange members despite perhaps claiming they do.
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,695
    My club's massively elitist. In fact, I'm the only member!
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I think the older the club is - the more cliquey it can be. My club was v cliquey to begin with cos the other riders didnt know me and didnt know if I was any good. Only after a couple of decent showings on the bike did they start to accept me and now its fine.

If you want less cliquey - maybe try a triclub - the level of cycling probably wont be as good as a bike club, but they're newer and from what I've seen - more receptive to newbies.
  • I don't think so, but then again I'm very involved in the running of it. we go out of our way to get new riders in and to make them welcome. if anything we are guilty of neglecting the needs of the long term more experienced riders (which we are addressing....). we have a pub evening once a month to help people get to know each other - strangely it is always 90% MTBers with rather a poor showing of Roadies - what does that tell you ;)
    <a>VC Godalming & Haslemere</a>
  • Ste_S
    Ste_S Posts: 1,173
    Alain Quay wrote:
    I am surprised at how many are put off by some local clubs,
    that may have inpenetrable rules, codes, etc.

The majority of clubs aren't like that these days, the ones that where have changed or died a death. Quite a lot of clubs work really hard to attract new members, especially those with Go-Ride accreditation.
  • campagone
    campagone Posts: 270
    How far away from a club are you guys? Or to put it another way, how far do you have to travel to meet up with your clubmates?
    I'd like to join a club but I don't have one in my area, (Bala, North Wales). There's nothing within 30 miles, I understand there are one or two in Wrexham but I can't get any info on the web, then there's Rhyl or Rhos on Sea further north, but I think they are a little bit too far away. So as it is I,m a billy no mates riding around on my own which I don't mind really.
  • chuckcork
    chuckcork Posts: 1,471
    I'd like to think we're quite open to newbies coming along, only problem I have is that it can really slow things down a bit for me. When your doing a lot of riding yourself and are used to 2 speeds, flat out and then knackered, it can be a bit hard to slow down and I get told off subsequently for pushing it too hard too early in a run (not showing off guys, honest, just too many hours on the bike, and too much energy to burn).

But generally we don't abandon newbies in the middle of noweher, and I will do my bit in staying back with them too, in appreciation of the times that it has been done for me when I was a newbie to road cycling too.

Except when on an event. Then I just go flat out as hard and for as long as I can.

But cliquey? Never, there aren't enough of us for that, and its not in our character.
    'Twas Mulga Bill, from Eaglehawk, that caught the cycling craze....
  • Gavin Gilbert
    Gavin Gilbert Posts: 4,019
    Odd. I have a lot to do with the cycling clubs in West London and I haven't found any of them cliquey in the slightest. Some of the ersatz 'Racing Teams' can be a little up themselves, but then these are invitational outfits. And of course some clubs have grumps or people with too much personality as members. But a cold shoulder - never.

With our club - the Archer RC - if anyone shows interest in joining we're more than happy to help :D
  • PostieJohn
    PostieJohn Posts: 1,105
    I must admit just even the mention of the words, clique and cycling club, (and they certainly get put together a lot on here), is enough to put me off.

Which is a real shame, as I want to give it a go.
    Mainly because I've not had a 'goal' this summer (last year the 100 mile southern sportive) and to say my cycling output had dropped would be a huge understatement.
    Obviously the weather hasn't helped.

But I just don't know where to go (West Sussex) as, I'm very much the type of person who would 'tar everyone with the same brush', if my 1st experience is a bit dodgy.
  • The biggest club in the area I found to be very cliquey. The fact you had to ring up some blokes mobile number and ask him if it was OK to come along on the club runs was a bit too much for me.

Went out with another club in the area. The first few rides they tried repeatedly to drop me but was seemingly accepted after that.
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • Ste_S
    PostieJohn wrote:
    I must admit just even the mention of the words, clique and cycling club, (and they certainly get put together a lot on here), is enough to put me off.

Which is a real shame, as I want to give it a go.
    Mainly because I've not had a 'goal' this summer (last year the 100 mile southern sportive) and to say my cycling output had dropped would be a huge understatement.
    Obviously the weather hasn't helped.

But I just don't know where to go (West Sussex) as, I'm very much the type of person who would 'tar everyone with the same brush', if my 1st experience is a bit dodgy.

Do you live anywhere near Brighton ?

http://brightonmitre.typepad.com/weblog/

and

http://www.brightonexcelsior.co.uk/

both look quite welcoming. Give both a ring, and let them know what you're after.
    The biggest club in the area I found to be very cliquey. The fact you had to ring up some blokes mobile number and ask him if it was OK to come along on the club runs was a bit too much for me.

Went out with another club in the area. The first few rides they tried repeatedly to drop me but was seemingly accepted after that.

Maybe that was to insure that there was someone there to look after you on your first few goes ?
  • vermooten
    vermooten Posts: 2,697
    Manchester Wheelers is very friendly and welcoming. I think cliquiness can be in the eye of the beholder.
    You just have to ride like you never have to breathe again.

Manchester Wheelers
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    vermooten wrote:
    Manchester Wheelers is very friendly and welcoming. I think cliquiness can be in the eye of the beholder.

Where do you meet?
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Nuggs
    Nuggs Posts: 1,804
    PostieJohn wrote:
    Where are you based? I'm in West Sussex and I'll be looking for a club next year, when I've got a few more miles under my wheels. I don't know where to go either, although VC In-Gear sound like a decent bunch.
  • boybiker
    boybiker Posts: 531
    The club I ride with prides itself in catering for riders of all abilities which can hardly be called elitist or whatever.
    however roadies are a breed apart and can be somewhat eccentric and perhaps not as welcoming as they could be until they get to know you.
    The gear changing, helmet wearing fule.
    FCN :- -1
    Given up waiting for Fast as Fupp to start stalking me
  • feel
    feel Posts: 800
    vermooten wrote:

Where do you meet?

Well how cliquey is that - he won't even tell you :wink:
    We are born with the dead:
    See, they return, and bring us with them.
  • etxeondo
    etxeondo Posts: 42
    cliquiness & eliteness = i-team.cc
    People ask me what I'm on. I'm on my bike 6 hours a day busting my arse. That's what I'm on.

— Lance Armstrong

• Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    You have to remember that bike clubs are just groups of people riding together. There are no jobs, no salaries or even expenses. So for every new member, some existing member has to spend his free time coaching, advising and helping them.

Now plenty of existing members do volunteer their time but most people join a cycling club to ride their bike and not to fill in affiliation forms, conduct risk assessments, order clothing and produce newsletters. So when newcomers arrive who can't change an inner tube or who rides like a lunatic, some clubs are bound to make their life easier for themselves and erect subtle barriers to ward of the numpties.

I'm not justifying this, just explaining it. It's sad that people who have learned from others aren't passing on their knowledge and fun to others. But that probably explains a bit. Or maybe some clubs are just full of miserable bar stewards...
  • Ste_S
    Kléber wrote:
    You have to remember that bike clubs are just groups of people riding together. There are no jobs, no salaries or even expenses. So for every new member, some existing member has to spend his free time coaching, advising and helping them.

Now plenty of existing members do volunteer their time but most people join a cycling club to ride their bike and not to fill in affiliation forms, conduct risk assessments, order clothing and produce newsletters. So when newcomers arrive who can't change an inner tube or who rides like a lunatic, some clubs are bound to make their life easier for themselves and erect subtle barriers to ward of the numpties.

I'm not justifying this, just explaining it. It's sad that people who have learned from others aren't passing on their knowledge and fun to others. But that probably explains a bit. Or maybe some clubs are just full of miserable bar stewards...

And those will be the clubs that die. Everyone starts out as a numpty on a bike at some point
  • vermooten wrote:

Where do you meet?

Gateway Pub, Parrs Wood.
  • Well i wouldnt know if my club is cliquey, becasue they wont even answer an email asking for some basic info. Of the 4 clubs in my area, i have sent an email to them all asking for info. One replied pretty much straight away, one just did a cut and paste from their website, and two didnt even bother to reply.
    Its time i joined a club and got into some group rides, but if this is the attitude now, well F*&K them, i can do without it .
    Just a fat bloke on a bike
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Howie - I'd cut them a bit of slack. Its hard to get cyclists to stand up and do club roles - we have a hell of a time trying to find about 6 club officials from 120 members or so. Cyclists would rather cycle than do paperwork. Its not like a business.
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    Yep, our club has the same problem wrt finding poeple to do club roles, and once you've volunteered to take one on, the only way out is death! The lesson; never volunteer!
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • anyone know any clubs in Mid Essex? Around Chelmsford? :)
    THE GAME FCN +10
    Folding Bike +10, Baggies +1, SPD's -1
    (Oh yeah, it's an Airnimal Chameleon. Bwah ha ha ha...cough)
    + Trek 8500 Singlespeed conversion.
    Flat Essex = no need for gears on a tow path.
  • Ste_S
    cougie wrote:
    Howie - I'd cut them a bit of slack. Its hard to get cyclists to stand up and do club roles - we have a hell of a time trying to find about 6 club officials from 120 members or so. Cyclists would rather cycle than do paperwork. Its not like a business.

What he said

Only one out of the four didn't respond to your email, and I'd imagine the one that didn't respond hadn't updated their contact details. Remember that each club is run by volunteers, and a fair few of them aren't so internet savvy. Have you tried ringing any of the clubs you're interested in ?
  • Ste_S
    anyone know any clubs in Mid Essex? Around Chelmsford? :)

http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/web/site/BC/clu/cluClubFinder.asp?club_cp=1&club_mode=0&club_id=&club_myclubs=No&club_goride=0&RefID=&RefType=&club_kw=&club_regions=All+Regions&club_disc=All+Activities&crpp=20

Is a good place to start. Try ringing a few clubs in your area, and let them know what kind of activities you're after
  • Mog Uk
    Mog Uk Posts: 964
    vermooten wrote:

+ 1
  • The one club i am interested in does not even have a CONTACT US page on the website. I have many talents, but being psychic is not one of them. So do i guess a number???
    Just a fat bloke on a bike
  • Ste_S
    Which club is it ?