- Seeking the perfect bike- (for me)

pedal-pony
pedal-pony Posts: 33
edited August 2008 in MTB buying advice
ME:
20 something, 5.4ft female, not particularly strong (yet), increasing fitness and riding each day, hoping to join a local MTB / cycling club

seeks the perfect Hardtail MTB for weekend distances up to 20-30miles (for now)
light off-road work... tracks, trails, some hills, bumpy terrain,
hoping to increase fitness and stamina - but fairly fit and used to biking 3-4 miles to work daily.....

(not particularly strong - yet)

budget - £200 - £400 for the perfect bike...... (pref with disc/hydraullic breaks)

I do like:

ROCKHOPPER
http://www.bikescene.co.uk/moreinfo.php?variation=1224&sale=0

HARDROCK

http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/gear/category/bikes/mountain/product/hardrock-pro-disc-28923

GT AVALANCHE
http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/gear/category/bikes/mountain/product/avalanche-disc-10-08-24827

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. :D thank you,

pony.

Comments

• johnsav
    johnsav Posts: 775
    any of those bikes are solid, well trusted machines.
    Get down to your local outlet and have a ride on them and go for whatever feels best to you.
  • glen4
    glen4 Posts: 250
    Rockhopper a far better bike than a hardrock, but is quite a lot more money. If you can afford it go for the most you can spend, it will reward you in the long run, by lightness, component longevity, and the rockhopper frame is ripe for upgrades as the standard parts wear out. Would you be looking at women specific geometry, or are you comfortable on a man's frame geometry? Here is a women's rockhopper type of bike:- http://www.bikescene.co.uk/moreinfo.php ... 283&sale=1
    2009 Cove Handjob
    2009 Cove Hummer
  • thanks glen,

i would be comfortable on a mans bike - possibly the smallest - something like a 16-17'' frame(?)

I do like the ROCKHOPPER.... I know it is more money (100 quid)...

You mentioned that the parts are replaceable and wear out....

IF i bought the HARROCK - could I replace the parts and keep the frame?

thanks, pony
  • dunker
    dunker Posts: 1,503
    hi, well if you're going to £600 what's another £30? hehe

Merlin Malt 2 15"?
    http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/?fn=produ ... egoryId=39

try to test first if you can.
  • glen4
    glen4 Posts: 250
    pedal-pony wrote:
    thanks glen,

i would be comfortable on a mans bike - possibly the smallest - something like a 16-17'' frame(?)

I do like the ROCKHOPPER.... I know it is more money (100 quid)...

You mentioned that the parts are replaceable and wear out....

IF i bought the HARROCK - could I replace the parts and keep the frame?

thanks, pony

Pony,
    yeah, you can replace the components on a Hardrock for better, but the frame tubes on the rockhopper are far better, meaning lighter and stronger, it's a far better frame for upgrading, while some would say once the bits on the Hardrock are worn out, buy a new bike :) . The HR is not a bad bike, but the rockhopper is far superior.

BTW only way to be sure of size is to try them, especially if you're gonna buy a man's bike, they tend to be longer in the top tube than women specific, I would say at your height, unless you've got never ending legs, try the 15" frame to start off, reckon 17" would be too big, and spesh don't do a 16"
    2009 Cove Handjob
    2009 Cove Hummer
  • Chaka Ping
    Chaka Ping Posts: 1,451
    I think you might want to try a 13" frame, maybe a 14" depending on which bike and what sizes it comes in.

My wife is 5ft 3in and her XS (13") Giant XTC is almost too big for her.

Once you've got the bike you may want to cut the bars down a little to make them narrower, a shorter stem might be more comfortable and you might find the saddle uncomfortable and want to get a lady-shaped one.
  • cheers everyone - your comments are very helpful....

I do like the ROCKHOPPER ....

However, my local bikeshop also has a GT Avalanche available - I believe they are the 2.0 and 3.0 disc versions.

Does anyone have an opinion on the GT ranges?
    how might they compare to the ROCKHOPPER and Specialized bikes?

Sorry for all the questions, I know I need to try them.... but I just want to be sure I know what I am looking for before I wonder in to the shops...

thanks.

pony. :o:lol:
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    £400 is where the real magic starts with mountain biking - you get a nice step up in components on many bikes such as damped forks, hydro disc brakes and even sometimes 9spd groupsets. So if you have that amount, I'd spend it.

GT Avalanche 2.0 is a great bike for the money, far better than the hardrock, and also available ina womens version - think shorter frame, women's saddle, softer fork springs and narrower grips. Try it out, compare to the mans.
  • supersonic
    All are excellent for the money, but the 2.0 and 1.0 worth spending the extra on.
  • supersonic wrote:
    All are excellent for the money, but the 2.0 and 1.0 worth spending the extra on.

THANK YOU SUPERSONIC..... very helpful comments - I am excited to try these bikes - I think I might have narrowed it down now....

JUST NEED THE MONEY!!!! hahahaha.

pony. x :D
  • supersonic
    1.0 is an award winning bike in WMB - that extra 100 quid gets you a slightly lighter frame, 9spd components and a better fork. 2.0 is still great though (I used to have one!), the step up over the 3.0 is quite significant.

The 500 quid rockhopper I really like. You don't get disc brakes, but the money has been invested in a great fork and frame.