Terribly unfit...

Tea and Techno
Tea and Techno Posts: 11
I got my first road bike last month, but only rode it a couple of times so far, August is usually a rather busy month. I'm only 19 so it's quite shocking, but I've pretty much done no sport or regular exercise since I left school, relied on PE too much.

I can do about 10 minutes on a bike before I start to feel a bit sick. Are there any specific exercises I could do at home that would help? It's quite pathetic that I can't go so far.

I'm probably in need of a decent diet as well. I eat 3 of my 5 a day, but I feel I need to majorly improve as Kit Kats don't seem to help, oddly. Any certain foods I should eat?

Comments

• Slow Downcp
    Slow Downcp Posts: 3,041
    Just do short rides at a gentle pace to start with and gradually increase. Don't try to do too much straight away. The sickness feeling may be that you're riding too hard from the offset, which will also lead to aching legs and burning lungs. It may feel that you;re going to slow, but my first few miles of each ride are usually at a pace that a decent jogger could keep up with me.
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • brownbosh
    brownbosh Posts: 602
    You seem like a switched on kid - youve realsied your lifestyle was crap and your changing it! As far as riding is concerned SLOW DOWN. Ride at about 2/3rds of the speed you have been and that time in the saddle will help with any weight / fitness issues. If we assume at your new slower pace you manage 15 minutes the first day try 20 mins the next. At your level dont try to go out and ride for miles. If you do little and often you will be able to build up to decent length rides in no time providing you take it easy. Whe 30 miles is not issue then you can occasionally go a bit harder because you will have the base to do it. As far as diet uis concerned if you want a dramatic improvement on how you feeel in life bin all drinks except water for a month cut out sugary and highly processed crap and after 2 painful weeks you will feel like a god.
    This is all from personal experience. I was totally imobile christmas just gone. Ive lost 47 pounds gone from 15 miles to 105 mile rides done my first circuit races and TT's all by simple diet and exercise control.
    Youve taken the first step now push on!
  • Toks
    Toks Posts: 1,143
    I got my first road bike last month, but only rode it a couple of times so far, August is usually a rather busy month. I'm only 19 so it's quite shocking, but I've pretty much done no sport or regular exercise since I left school, relied on PE too much.

I can do about 10 minutes on a bike before I start to feel a bit sick. Are there any specific exercises I could do at home that would help? It's quite pathetic that I can't go so far.

I'm probably in need of a decent diet as well. I eat 3 of my 5 a day, but I feel I need to majorly improve as Kit Kats don't seem to help, oddly. Any certain foods I should eat?
    Er...what do you mean you feel sick? Is this because you're trying to be Bradley Wiggins? Just start at a leisurely pace and build up the time/duration gently from there. Feeling sick after 10 minutes as a 19 year old doesn't sound good. Can you explain some more :?
  • Cheers for the helpful advice. Brownbosh, I think I'll take up that 2 week diet challenge starting on Monday. I can live without the sugary stuff and that, it just doesn't occur to me that there's a reason I shouldn't be drinking Fanta as much as I am, but for my own sake and a healthy interest, I'm more than happy to give up the crap. :)

I'll go out for a ride on Sunday, and I'll try and take it easy, as well as increase my route a bit. Maybe I was trying to be Bradley Wiggins, I have to keep telling myself it's going to take sod knows how many years before I get anywhere near half his ability. I'm not sure I had eaten properly in the morning, but I try and give my breakfast of shreddie's at least an hour to settle in.

I'll no doubt be back, but cheers in the mean time!