Gerolsteiner sponsor hunt over

iainf72
iainf72 Posts: 15,784
edited August 2008 in Pro race
They've given up.

http://www.bikeradar.com/road/news/arti ... hief-18230

So when does Team Cervelo Powered by Subway get announced?
Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.

Comments

• iainf72
    Nice work JC

They should be able to announce the team next week then.
  • andyrac
    andyrac Posts: 1,123
    Just out of interest, is there anywhere that sells Gerolsteiner? I've looked in Asda, Tesco's, Morrisons, etc
    All Road/ Gravel: tbcWinter: tbcMTB: tbcRoad: tbc"Look at the time...." "he's fallen like an old lady on a cruise ship..."
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    Bit of a shame. I think the management tried to run as clean a team as they could.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • iainf72
    According to the Comic, former Discovery Channel rider Roger Hammond has been linked to the Cervelo team.
  • JC.152
    JC.152 Posts: 645
    He'd probably only want a short contract if the GB pro team starts runnning next year
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    JC.152 wrote:
    He'd probably only want a short contract if the GB pro team starts runnning next year

Hammond is 34 this year and TBH, I think he's been kept on as much to act as a "big brother" to Cav as anything else. With an increasing number of younger, faster and cheaper riders on the market, he'll struggle to keep his gig at the top level .

Brailsford doesn't strike me as someone much given to sentimentality - if he can't be sold on the concept of a "road captain" to shepherd the younger riders, I don't know if Hammond would automatically be a shoe-in for the squad. He might be better off with a guaranteed two year contract with Cervelo.
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • iainf72
    LangerDan wrote:

Brailsford doesn't strike me as someone much given to sentimentality - if he can't be sold on the concept of a "road captain" to shepherd the younger riders, I don't know if Hammond would automatically be a shoe-in for the squad. He might be better off with a guaranteed two year contract with Cervelo.

As it's unlikely Cav or Millar would ride for his squad Roger might be good to make up the numbers of road capable riders.

But if I were him and got offered 2 years at Cervelo I'd take it.
  • donrhummy
    donrhummy Posts: 2,329
    This is a shame and a result of the ignorant backlash in Germany. Instead of them realizing, "hey. cycling's the only sport actually testing and catching dopers," they'd prefer to pretend there are no dopers (like in the super popular sport of football). I wonder if the team looked outside Germany for sponsorship or not.

Some American teams are also being folded. Toyota-United is far and away the best team in the USA (a pro-continental team) with TONS of victories and they're now folding as well, as have HealthNet (also very successful) and Symmetrics. Too bad.
  • emadden
    emadden Posts: 2,431
    AndyRAC wrote:
    Just out of interest, is there anywhere that sells Gerolsteiner? I've looked in Asda, Tesco's, Morrisons, etc

Only seen it in Germany.... Same with Milram... well Milram is a dairy company 8)
    www.dotcycling.com
  • JC.152
    JC.152 Posts: 645
    Anyone know where it is?

cycling news have got this

Bernhard Kohl had a breakout performance in the Tour.
    Bernhard Kohl has found a new team for the coming season, but won't announce it until after the Deutschland Tour. His Gerolsteiner team will be dissolved at the end of this year, team manager Hans Michael Holczer announced Thursday
    When asked where the Austrian might be riding in 2009, his agent, Siegfried Fröhlich told Cyclingnews cryptically, "Bernhard speaks in addition to German both English and Flemish. In order to make the integration into a new team, it would make sense to transfer to a team where Bernhard wouldn't have any language barrier."

That doesn't really narrow the field down much, as the teams with which he had mostly been mentioned were Quick Step, Silence-Lotto, Columbia and Milram. The latter is however, seemingly out out of contention, Fröhlich told LaOla1.at. The betting is on one of the two Belgian teams.

The 26 year-old would have best liked to stay with his current team. "Of course it's too bad that he can't stay with Gerolsteiner," Fröhlich told Cyclingnews.
    [imghttp://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2008/tour08/index.php?id=/photos/2008/tour08/tour0817/bettiniphoto_0029464_1_full[img][/img]
  • September the 8th is the date he announces his new team, although, in Austria, ORF, the tv broadcaster, is tipping Milram.
    This would kind of go with the news from CN:-
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id= ... /aug29news
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Wouldn't put the demise in sponsors across the board to just doping. Recession loaming means most companies have cut back in budgets. i am long way form a pro tour but we have a load of small local sponsors on my team and we are struggling to get replacements :-(
  • Noodley
    Noodley Posts: 1,725
    What do gerolsteiner make/sell? :oops:

(edit - okay I did a google search. I should have known that..)
  • iainf72
    September the 8th is the date he announces his new team, although, in Austria, ORF, the tv broadcaster, is tipping Milram.

Latest is Silence-Lotto being the team