Edinburgh to Saint Andrews

Stephencp
Stephencp Posts: 60
edited September 2008 in Tour & expedition
I`m hoping to cycle to St Andrews from Edinburgh next week. I understand there`s a coastal route (off road) which I could use. Does anyone have any details? Also I can`t get a copy of Edinburgh cycle routes at the moment, can anyone recommend a route from Waverley Station to the Forth Road Bridge?

TIA
Stephen

Comments

• pneumatic
    pneumatic Posts: 1,989
    There is a sustrans map of the route (Edinburgh Aberdeen) that you will get from Edinburgh Bicycle Co-op. The tourist office at Waverley might even have it.

From Waverley to Cramond, just ride up Princes Street, turn right at the extensive roadworks and follow signs to Forth Road Bridge. (There is a cycle route through the suburbs but it is really easy to lose your way unless you know it.) From Cramond to the Bridge you are not allowed to use the dual carriageway so you have to take the cycle path to Dalmeny (exit at the first slip road and cross the dual carriageway.)

The bridge has two cycle lanes. Try and be in the Eastern one (downstream). However, they are closing them alternately at the moment for repairs so you may have to take the other one.

Personally, I wouldn't necessarily go the sustrans way (along the coast). The coastal path can be a bit tedious and there is a lot of sharp climbing around Aberdour, Kinghorn and Burntisland. Levenmouth is a bit grim and the road from Leven to Crail a bit monotonous.

The alternative is to head North from Inverkeithing, through Kelty (look straight ahead and don't stop!) and up to Scotlandwell. After that, either go through Glenrothes (dull) or, better still, go up to Balgeddie and ride along the shoulder of the Lomond hills (beautiful quiet road) to Strathmiglo, Falkland, then Freuchie. Whichever way you go, you then want to get onto the road that goes through Burnturk to Chance Inn, up to Ceres, Pitscottie, Blebo and straight down to St Andrews.

Hope that helps.

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations
    Eddingtons: 80 (Metric); 60 (Imperial)

• aya604
    aya604 Posts: 67
    Stephencp wrote:
    I`m hoping to cycle to St Andrews from Edinburgh next week. I understand there`s a coastal route (off road) which I could use. Does anyone have any details? Also I can`t get a copy of Edinburgh cycle routes at the moment, can anyone recommend a route from Waverley Station to the Forth Road Bridge?

TIA
    Stephen

Out of Waverley turn right. After 200 metres turn left onto Princes Street.
    After 2k you will pass Haymarket Station where you will pick up signs for cycle route 1 which takes you to Forth Road Bridge.

Cheers
  • Many thanks pneumatic, I shall take your advice and follow the route you suggest. Although I`ve visited St Andrews several times this will be my first time by bike. I trust the weather will be good :)

Thanks again,
    Stephen
  • pneumatic
    Last time I did the whole ride, it was on the annual Lepra charity event a couple of years ago. Being midsummer, it was p1ssing with rain and the wind was from the East and very stiff. I was soaked and frozen when I arrived.

Even in those conditions, it was a good ride! :D Enjoy it!

If you need a cake stop, I would recommend Pillars of Hercules organic shop/cafe just before Falkland as you come from Strathmiglo. That'll fuel you for the climb up towards Burnturk.

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations

• Pneumatic - Is cycle route 1, as suggested by aya604 the one you describe as hard to follow?

Even if I do n`t need a cake stop I could n`t pass a cafe called the Pillars of Hercules sounds brilliant, thanks for that.

Stephen

• pneumatic
    Stephencp wrote:
    Pneumatic - Is cycle route 1, as suggested by aya604 the one you describe as hard to follow?

Even if I do n`t need a cake stop I could n`t pass a cafe called the Pillars of Hercules sounds brilliant, thanks for that.

Stephen

That's the one. Maybe it's just me that finds it a bit awkward but I don't think so. I once rescued a couple of Italians on touring bikes who had got hopelessly lost on that route. Anyway, if you look out for the signs, it puts you first onto the old railway, then through a housing estate and finally over the old Cramond Bridge and then it is a bit easier until Dalmeny where it is easy to get lost again. Best advice is to keep out an eagle eye for the signs and don't assume it is going to be an intuitive route.

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations

• I should add that this route is good, the coast route is a collection of local routes and utterly hopless.

En route, Falkland is a lovely village and the palace is worth a look.
    Generally nice countryside once beyond Kinross.