First ride on a road bike.

trickeyja
trickeyja Posts: 202
edited August 2008 in Road beginners
Hi,

I have just converted from a mountain bike (Hardrock) to an Allez Elite road bike, and taken it on its first real ride (my test ride lasted about 5 minutes because I was so determined to have a change from my old tractor of a MTB). I didn't find it hard to get used to, and enjoyed the speed and responsiveness.. I was easily going at 15mph whereas on my old bike i would struggle to sustain that speed.

Today I went 59.6 miles averaging 16.4mph in 3h40 mins. Amazing because it would have taken me about an hour longer on the MTB. Is this an OK speed to be starting off with on a road bike? I had thought I may have been able to go a little faster, but it could have been to do with the wind today (about 15mph in Cheltenham)

How have other people found making the change from MTB to road bikes and the difference in speed?

Comments

• I recently had my first ride (and the last time I had been on a bike was about 4 years ago!).

I only did 10miles at 17.4mph....so I'd be pretty damn pleased with your time over that distance.
  • Rich Hcp
    Rich Hcp Posts: 1,355
    Sounds pretty good.

I was due to go out on my MTB with my mates, but I'd blown my last tube pumping the tyres up, so had to leave the MTB at home.

I arranged to meet them at a pub, as you do.

I went out on my roadie an hour and a half later than them and covered the same mileage

Most of the time they'd stayed on the road.

So, yes, a roadie is far quicker.

Mind you a roadie is rubbish off road :lol:

I thinmk of my roadie as a sports car, you need to be careful where and how you drive it.

The MTM is more like a land Rover, you can go where you want, it may take a while and use loads of fuel
    Richard

Giving it Large
  • trickeyja

sjaszczak - well done on your first ride! I hope you find road biking as fun as I have been since yesterday.

rich hcp - good analogy there, did you have time to stop in the pub on the way as well? :p I still have my old MTB in case I feel like doing one of my usual rides "over the hill" offroad...

After cycling back from work this evening I decided I would put the bike to the test on the hills - really pleased (relieved) that I can get up them and more quickly as well! I went on a hilly course up the Cotswold escarpment (Leckhampton Hill) then cutting across to Winchcombe (two 14-20% hills according to the OS map). Back over Cleeve Hill and down to Cheltenham maxing at 41.3mph.

Overall I averaged 14.6mph over 31.5mi which I was pretty pleased with, compared to the old bike (normally c.11mph over a similar course) and the amount of climbing involved. Brings my total for the last two days up to 95.3mi.

Wow this has really rekindled my enthusiasm!!
  • trickeyja
    Another thing I noticed is that the surface of the road made quite a bit of difference to the speed I went - ie. on the flat on the rough Cotswold roads I was going about 17mph (not that there is much flatness in the Cotswolds) but when I reached the town I could much more easily sustain c.22mph. Do other people find the same thing?
  • Rich Hcp
    trickeyja wrote:
    rich hcp - good analogy there, did you have time to stop in the pub on the way as well? :p I still have my old MTB in case I feel like doing one of my usual rides "over the hill" offroad...

Wow this has really rekindled my enthusiasm!!

Of course we all stopped at the pub, mobi phones are a curse, but are handy for arranging a drink!

I'll always have a roadie and an off road bike, I like both. Each has their place.

The roadie is a more solitary ride, clears your mind.

The MTB is more social, in a group, I wouldn't feel happy on a remote trail on my own

It's great to have that enthusiasm!

I'd use both bikes, you'll get beter on both and enjoy it even more.

I think they are complemantary.
    Richard

Giving it Large
  • Rich Hcp
    trickeyja wrote:
    Another thing I noticed is that the surface of the road made quite a bit of difference to the speed I went - ie. on the flat on the rough Cotswold roads I was going about 17mph (not that there is much flatness in the Cotswolds) but when I reached the town I could much more easily sustain c.22mph. Do other people find the same thing?

The surface makes a big difference, if it is a surface where a 'reurface' is to chuck gravel on wet tar, I have noticed a big speed drop, maybe 4 or 5 MPH because the surface is so rough.

20+ through town is easy when the conditions are right you need to watch for people stepping in to the road
    Richard

Giving it Large