Music

Beachslapper
Beachslapper Posts: 45
edited August 2008 in The bottom bracket
Do you listen to music when you ride or is this a bad idea because it is destracting?

Comments

• Lagavulin
    Lagavulin Posts: 1,688
    I sometimes ride with my ipod nano but with only the left plug in and not with the music blasting.
  • I do now and again. But it can be distracting. My main problem is that when I am concentrating and sweating in my crash helmet the earphones wont stay in.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I've tried it with my Ipod and I did find it too distracting. I think its best to have all of your senses working. Its nice to hear nature too and not have music piped straight into your brain.
  • Ok thanks i was just trying to get a general idea of what people do
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,695
    I often do. I don't really care about hearing what's behind me, as I can't distinguish between cars that are going to cut close/cut me up or give me plenty of room anyway. All engines sound the same when they're behind me. It's much more effective to look behind me every so often, and have a good look round before making any kind of manoeuvre.
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    If I'm going along a quiet training route with just left hand turns (more or less!!) then I'll put some good ol' Metal on the I pod at low volume in my left ear. This has left me with the reflex reaction of singing whenever I'm going hard... :oops: :oops:

However, you have to get the right headphones otherwise they fall out/attract windnoise. I use the ones which came with my walkman phone
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • FSR_XC
    FSR_XC Posts: 2,258
    Never.

I want all my sensors working whilst riding. Certainly don't want to block the noise of cars etc with music.

On turbo trainer is different however - always listen to music then.
    Stumpjumper FSR 09/10 Pro Carbon, Genesis Vapour CX20 ('17)Carbon, Rose Xeon CW3000 '14, Raleigh R50

http://www.visiontrack.com
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    yep pretty much all the time I'm cycling alone I find the music helps my speed

traffic is a constant noise for me and a quick lifesaver glance is all I need to make a move on the road

I don't have the volume loud so I can still hear when car users decide it's time for a rant.
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • bobpzero
    bobpzero Posts: 1,431
    what do u do on charity ride with a couple nattering on about their jobs & u cant go any faster?
  • cougie
    Listen in for anything juicy ?
  • bobpzero
    bobpzero Posts: 1,431
    nope its was the upper class english accent that was annoying me & there was a guy who kept coughing like he had a disease, tho i got rid of him after a few miles. tho the weather was heavy rain with the sort of wind that would stop a lightweight near dead. so could u hav the ear plugs one in one out for that situation?
  • cougie
    And how often are you in that kind of company ? If its a major problem for you - drop back or put a spurt on. Riding with music in a bunch is a stupid idea.
  • I've noticed a lot of cycling jackets have spaces for earphones to be routed through these days. Not sure it's a good thing but hey, at least I'm prochoice :D
    'How can an opinion be bullsh1t?' High Fidelity
  • C-S-B
    C-S-B Posts: 117
    I never do - why would you? Im never bored when cycling, so wouldnt need music to distract me, and being able to hear whats going on around me is pretty important to me when out on the roads

Oh and with the wind were having, you probably couldnt even hear your music!
  • I do. I ride on pavements, trails and roads and turn the music down when I am on the road. I compensate by looking around a lot more and making sure I am completely confident it is safe before making manouveres.
    Cycling, it has it's ups and downs.
  • cougie
    Riding on pavements ? So you cant hear a car ticking over before it reverses out of a drive into you ?
  • GTi-R23
    GTi-R23 Posts: 175
    I listen to my ipod alot whilst riding, keeps me motivated to keep the pedals turning with the wind in your face and thighs burning.
  • NWLondoner
    NWLondoner Posts: 2,047
    I never ride while listen to MP3/ipod etc.

Way too distracting. Especially if a new Janet & John story is read out.