why cant old people hear bells ?

northernneil
northernneil Posts: 1,549
edited August 2008 in The bottom bracket
cycling along tow paths, bridleways or even on road many is the time I use my bell to warn large groups of walkers, doddery people and the like - I would say about 3 out of 10 actually hear the bell I use until I am 0.0001 metres from them, and its not like I am going like big mig in a time trial either. Its not the bell thats the problem but I find this really annoying, any tips as to what I should do to alert people of my approach ? some kind of cow bell ?

Comments

• redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Shout.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Bikerbaboon
    Bikerbaboon Posts: 1,017
    fog horn...... if you sound like the qe2 they will move. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
    Nothing in life can not be improved with either monkeys, pirates or ninjas
  • Parsnip49
    Parsnip49 Posts: 205
    "get the f**k out of my way you old c**t or ill break your hip" usually works for me
  • Pardon?
    "Consider the grebe..."
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Maybe its like that Mosquito tone - only young ears can hear it ? So given that a bell is high pitched - it could be that old folk cant pick it up very well.

I havent had a bell since I was eight - a friendly greeting usually works so much better.
  • boybiker
    boybiker Posts: 531
    What you want is one of these
    http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/product-Air_ ... Horn-4.htm
    Even the deafest old git will hear it.
    The gear changing, helmet wearing fule.
    FCN :- -1
    Given up waiting for Fast as Fupp to start stalking me
  • dondare
    dondare Posts: 2,113
    I was once given a bell which I used when riding on canal tow paths. Not once did it have a useful effect, people either ignored it or looked everywhere but behind them. So I got rid of the bell and started giving pedestrians a cheery greeting and this worked every time. Air horns can't be justified on shared paths, I hope that Bb was joking.
    This post contains traces of nuts.
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,700
    boybiker wrote:
    What you want is one of these
    http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/product-Air_ ... Horn-4.htm
    Even the deafest old git will hear it.
    A friend has one of those, he set it off last week and it nearly deafened me. Good against cars, total overkill against pedestrians. Meanwhile, I have something similar to one of these. I've only had cause to use it once, but when I did, because of it sounding like a comedy car horn (like a clown car), the people I was passing seemed very jovial and good natured when I passed.
  • Special K
    Special K Posts: 449
    Parsnip49 wrote:
    "get the f**k out of my way you old c**t or ill break your hip" usually works for me

:lol:

Perhaps you could phrase something suitable for my particular problem.

I cycle the Hertford canal as it bisects Bethnal Green. Everyone gets out of the way except female Asian teenagers. A friend has speculated that their headgear may be too tight and disrupting their hearing ability of sounds from behind. However, as a fully paid up Guardian reader I feel uncomfortable with this analysis...
    "There are holes in the sky,
    Where the rain gets in.
    But they're ever so small
    That's why rain is thin. " Spike Milligan
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    Special K wrote:
    Parsnip49 wrote:

:lol:

Perhaps you could phrase something suitable for my particular problem.

I cycle the Hertford canal as it bisects Bethnal Green. Everyone gets out of the way except female Asian teenagers. A friend has speculated that their headgear may be too tight and disrupting their hearing ability of sounds from behind. However, as a fully paid up Guardian reader I feel uncomfortable with this analysis...

"get the f**k out of my way you young c**t or ill break your hijab"?????

At least you won't stand accused of being ageist.
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • pottssteve
    pottssteve Posts: 4,069
    An air raid siren might bring back memories and get them moving. Bit heavy on the handlebars though.

Failing that, yell, "Free tea and biscuits!"... :wink:
    Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    pottssteve wrote:
    An air raid siren might bring back memories and get them moving. :

The problem comes when you get home and find them all hiding in your cellar, playing "Now Thats What I Call Gracie Fields, Vol. 7" on the gramaphone.
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • pottssteve
    True, Vol. 7 wasn't her best....
  • pottssteve
    How about Clackers?
  • Rob Sallnow
    Rob Sallnow Posts: 6,279
    Half fill your mouth with your energy drink and then shout 'Churchills, the name you can trust'....got their attention when Thora Hird used to do it on the telly!!
    I'd rather walk than use Shimano
  • priory
    priory Posts: 743
    it is true they can't hear a bell very well. As you get older you will lose all of your hearing gradually, but especially the high frequencies. If you have been exposed to noise you may already have high tone loss, typically at 4000hz.
    I remember listening to a bat ( it must have been a 'great bat') hunting round a tree in wales when I was a child. Now I can hardly hear my watch alarm unless I hold it to my ear.
    You will have to shout 'Hello, do you mind if I pass please' at them instead.
    Raleigh Eclipse, , Dahon Jetstream XP, Raleigh Banana, Dawes super galaxy, Raleigh Clubman

http://s189.photobucket.com/albums/z122 ... =slideshow