Round World Record attempt - Update

steerpike
steerpike Posts: 424
edited August 2008 in Road beginners
thanks for all the tips folks.

I set off from Bristol last night, headed for Plymouth ferry terminal but got a puncture only 20 miles in (damn you Halfords). Camped overnight in a graveyard in Shepton Mallet and awoke to find a large slow worm at the bottom of my tent - a swift crack on the head with a tyre lever saw the beast off. Kendal mint cake and the remains of last nights scrumpy for breakfast - I cant be fussy though, I'm in strange parts and need to take on board the equivalent of 25 large doners (no chilli sauce) a day.

Comments

• djb1971
    djb1971 Posts: 565
    have you got saddle sores yet?

or did you take 5litre pots of sudocrem
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    Camped overnight in a graveyard in Shepton Mallet and awoke to find a large slow worm at the bottom of my tent - a swift crack on the head with a tyre lever saw the beast off

:lol:
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Go, Go, Go. You're doing great. We are all behind you.

Dennis Noward
  • blorg
    blorg Posts: 1,169
    You are a legend steerpike. Let us know if you need someone to create a distraction while you slip into the Channel Tunnel. Remember: middle tunnel is best unless you can pedal very fast indeed.
  • heavymental
    heavymental Posts: 2,076
    :lol::lol:

Keep going son! Looking forward to the next installment! :D
  • An inspiration to us all, keep going and know that all 6 of us will be cheering you all the way. 18,980 miles to go (should I not have mentioned that)?

Lucky about the Slow Worm not eating you in your sleep. They are protected though and you have to shout "its coming right for us" before crowning it with a tyre lever.
  • hamstrich
    hamstrich Posts: 112
    blorg wrote:
    You are a legend steerpike. Let us know if you need someone to create a distraction while you slip into the Channel Tunnel. Remember: middle tunnel is best unless you can pedal very fast indeed.

Hmm, this makes me wonder, with mahoosively high gearing, might it be possible to closely follow in a train's slipstream?
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,695
    hamstrich wrote:
    blorg wrote:

Hmm, this makes me wonder, with mahoosively high gearing, might it be possible to closely follow in a train's slipstream?
    Yes.
  • whyamihere wrote:
    hamstrich wrote:
    blorg wrote:

Yes.

But that would be cheating and we dont want to see our hero involved in such activities do we? No shortcuts Steerpike, otherwise Orange wont use you in an advert when you get back!
  • djb1971
    djb1971 Posts: 565
    I've tried to arrange a roadside massage for you in France but the lady I spoke to wanted 600 euros up front and wouldn't accept card.

Sorry but I tried :(
  • But that would be cheating and we dont want to see our hero involved in such activities do we? No shortcuts Steerpike, otherwise Orange wont use you in an advert when you get back!

Blimey, is he doing it on a Downhill Steve Peat 224 Replica? Thats tough peddling for 18k miles........
    Bianchi c2c Alu Nirone 7 Xenon (2007) Road
    Orange P7 (1999) Road
    Diamond Back Snr Pro (1983) BMX
    Diamond BackSIlver Streak (1983) BMX

Oh, and BMX is the *ultimate* single speed.
  • jedster
    jedster Posts: 1,717

Of course. But I woudn't try it on an aluminium frame - you'd need a bit of carbon to smooth out the sleeper buzz...
  • jedster
    jedster Posts: 1,717
    and I'd recommend cyclo-x tyres to grip in that gravel stuff
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    Tell us about the boils, cracks and open sores on your backside.

That was the best bit about that other bloke's film, him going on about saddle sores all the time.

You must have them after 20 miles, surely ?
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    andy_wrx wrote:
    Tell us about the boils, cracks and open sores on your backside.

That was the best bit about that other bloke's film, him going on about saddle sores all the time.

You must have them after 20 miles, surely ?

20 MILES??? IN ONE DAY??? MY GOD, WHO WOULD HAVE THOUGHT IT POSSIBLE??

Dennis Noward
  • sicrow
    sicrow Posts: 791
    Have you been mugged yet ? I hear there are some real dodgy individuals in Shepton Mallet :lol:
  • It's been 3 days since your first days ride. Where are you know? Iran? Israel? Ipswich?