Driver made to think!!!

speedkingsox
speedkingsox Posts: 71
edited September 2008 in Campaign
On Saturday, a Club mate and myself where out cycling on quiet country roads around Islandmagee, we were aware that there was a car approaching from behind and we had been riding single-file, the driver drove past us very very close!!! He was driving a modified Polo with lowered suspension with 'R' plates. I bet you all have experienced this on a regular basis?

My Club mate turned off to head home and i continued on towards my home, about 5/6 miles later the same 'driver' passed me again and in the same fashion..... very very close!!! Btw i must add on both occasions, there was no oncoming traffic!! I noted his reg number and later mentioned to my club mate who then reported the incidents to the Police. In light of recent cycling tragedies, here and in England, we both felt 'right!! enough is enough!!' I myself am expecting the birth of my first child whilst my Club mate has 2 very young children.

Today, my Club mate received word from the Police that they had stopped the driver and had a word with him, he only passed his driving test 4 months ago, and was nearly crying by being stopped. I just hope that the driver takes this on-board and thinks a bit better when he is next out driving.

Maybe we should all report dangerous drivers like this..... at least there is one more driver on the road who will be more cautious when approaching Cyclists. Maybe more should be taught to learner drivers about the consequences of not giving Cyclists room.

SOX
Team Madigan

Comments

• chuckcork
    chuckcork Posts: 1,471
    Had a boy racer on a motorbike pass me yesterday when I was doing 45kph on a downhill stretch, waaaay too close and going well over the speed limit. A couple of minutes further on he was stopped for a chin wag with his only slightly less dangerous mates, but not wanting an argument with him or his rev-head pals, just went past.

A few minutes further on again was a Gardai van, doing its job of providing a presence at the event I was taking part in (Sean Kelly Tour of Waterford), and had a nice little chat about said boy racer and his mates. Cue for said Gardia to take a little spin up the road.... :P
    'Twas Mulga Bill, from Eaglehawk, that caught the cycling craze....
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    On Saturday, a Club mate and myself where out cycling on quiet country roads around Islandmagee, we were aware that there was a car approaching from behind and we had been riding single-file, the driver drove past us very very close!!! He was driving a modified Polo with lowered suspension with 'R' plates. I bet you all have experienced this on a regular basis?

My Club mate turned off to head home and i continued on towards my home, about 5/6 miles later the same 'driver' passed me again and in the same fashion..... very very close!!! Btw i must add on both occasions, there was no oncoming traffic!! I noted his reg number and later mentioned to my club mate who then reported the incidents to the Police. In light of recent cycling tragedies, here and in England, we both felt 'right!! enough is enough!!' I myself am expecting the birth of my first child whilst my Club mate has 2 very young children.

Today, my Club mate received word from the Police that they had stopped the driver and had a word with him, he only passed his driving test 4 months ago, and was nearly crying by being stopped. I just hope that the driver takes this on-board and thinks a bit better when he is next out driving.

Maybe we should all report dangerous drivers like this..... at least there is one more driver on the road who will be more cautious when approaching Cyclists. Maybe more should be taught to learner drivers about the consequences of not giving Cyclists room.

SOX
    Team Madigan

alternatively- it may be that there is one more cyclist now with a chip on his shoulder against cyclists because one caused him to be spoken to by Police?

I don't disagree with your tactic & I am impressed you got the police to do anything at all.
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • spen666 wrote:

SOX
    Team Madigan

alternatively- it may be that there is one more cyclist now with a chip on his shoulder against cyclists because one caused him to be spoken to by Police?

I don't disagree with your tactic & I am impressed you got the police to do anything at all.

Yeah i gotta chip on my shoulder.... its were the 6 pieces of collarbone have knitted together after being hit by a car during a TT, this was the first of 2 incidents where i have been hit by a car due to inconsiderate drivers. 2 weeks ago today a local cycling legend was killed by a driver. So you will forgive me if i have a strong outlook on the subject. :D

Be safe out there guys.

SOX
    Team Madigan
  • downfader
    downfader Posts: 3,686
    I have tbh Learners and new drivers with "P" plates here dont seem to bother me. They do seem to go nice and wide. Did have an incident where a learner on a lesson rubbed down my side whilst overtaking - said instructor should have taken full control and i hope he heard my concern being shouted.

I have had issues with other young drivers. Lads who have been passed a while and get a little cocky. Or a young lady that did her makeup in the rear view, mind you that only happened once
  • Good man. :)
    Nipping things like this in the bud can save a whole lot of nastiness further on down the line.
    Wheelies ARE cool.

Zaskar X
  • spen666 wrote:

SOX
    Team Madigan

Yeah i gotta chip on my shoulder.... its were the 6 pieces of collarbone have knitted together after being hit by a car during a TT, this was the first of 2 incidents where i have been hit by a car due to inconsiderate drivers. 2 weeks ago today a local cycling legend was killed by a driver. So you will forgive me if i have a strong outlook on the subject. :D

Be safe out there guys.

SOX
    Team Madigan

Not wanting to second guess SPEN666 but I think he meant maybe one more driver with a chip on his shoulder rather than cyclist.
    'Hello to Jason Isaacs'
  • spen666
    Not wanting to second guess SPEN666 but I think he meant maybe one more driver with a chip on his shoulder rather than cyclist.

Correct- too busy trying to multi task and not read my post.

It was motorist I was meaning to say

Twittering @spen_666
  • Spenn666 made a mistake!!!! I can hardly believe my eye's!!! :lol:
  • spen666
    Spenn666 made a mistake!!!! I can hardly believe my eye's!!! :lol:

Did I say a mistake? No, it was just to test which of you was eagle eyed and observant

Twittering @spen_666