Fitting a Bike Helmet

DonDaddyD
DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
edited August 2008 in Road beginners
How should a properly sized helmet fit?

I've bought new Specialized Helmet. It sits quite snug on the head, as in my head touches parts of the helmet (the top, front and back, I can't fit any fingers through it and there is little movement when the helmet is on even before I've fastened it. The front of the helmet comes over my forehead sitting just above my eyebrows and doesn't sit high so not to look like a mushroom.

I'm probably not making any sense, so what should I look for when buying a helmet. The guy in Evans didn't seem to know an ounce about how the helmet should fit, nice guy though.

How should a properly sized helmet fit?
Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game

Comments

• Hi Don - it should be level on your head - and it sounds like yours is, if it's just above your eyebrows, and should not fall off if it's not done up and you nod your head forward. Other than that, it's down to comfort: a helmet has to be comfortable, otherwise you're never going to wear it! Sounds, from what you say, like yours is ticking all the boxes...
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Thank, after what you said I feel reassured! Thanks!
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Mettan
    Mettan Posts: 2,103
    Also make sure it covers an appreciable amount at the Rear - try simulating and upwards crack from the bottom at the back (with the palm of your hand) - try and make sure it does'nt slide forward off your head too much - the big risk is helmets coming off at the slightest knock from certain angles - it should hopefully stay on in most types of fall/accident.