Problem with my bike shop - what should I do ?

northernneil
northernneil Posts: 1,549
edited August 2008 in The bottom bracket
dropped my new carbon fibre frame and forks off at chevin cycles on the 8th of August as I was going on holiday and back on the 21st for a new groupset to be installed.

got back and they hadnt yet started it

promised it would be ready by friday and will call me when i can collect it

that didnt happen so i emailed them,

they did not respond so i sent another on Sunday ...

They still havent called

getting hacked off now - what do you reckon i should do or ask for in compensation ?

After all I only left it with them so they could fit it all whilst I was away !!

Comments

• robbarker
    robbarker Posts: 1,367
    Did they agree to do the work within an agreed timescale? Has any money changed hands? Have you loat out on anything asa result? If the answer to any of these is no, you're barking up the wrong tree seeking some compensation from them.

Any decent bike shop workshop will be busy at this time of year. Sometimes you just have to be patient, but the best option is buy the tools and learn how to do it yourself.
  • bobpzero
    bobpzero Posts: 1,431
    either phone or speak to the owner of the shop face2face. be polite but be direct without looking like ur about to kill someone. email doesnt seem to work anymore now-a-days. all u want is something definite to be done & unless they can specify a realistic date and stick to it, youd better go find somewhere with a proper professional service.
  • northernneil
    not paid them anything yet - and the only reason I left it with them was so that I had the bike ready for when I got back from holiday, the skills to do it myself are not a problem I have built loads of bikes, thats the frustrationg thing - I could have bought the GS off the internet prior to going away and STILL had the bike ready by now myself !!

My worry is that they have done the work and my bike is all setup but in some respects I just want the frame/forks back as I could save myself the money and hassle and do it myself - do you think if I asked for them to supply the GS at cost and forget the labour charge thats fair enough ?
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Definitely call them, and dont lose your temper. When will you be riding it next ? The weekend ? So let them know that you would like it ready by Friday or you'll buy the groupset elsewhere and build the bike up yourself. Or get another shop/mate to do it.

It only takes a few hours to build it up.
  • vermooten
    vermooten Posts: 2,697
    never rely on email with bike shops, the phone or in-person is the only way
    You just have to ride like you never have to breathe again.

Manchester Wheelers
  • northernneil
    thanks for your advice guys - took it all on board and rang them and got it sorted, they said my emails went into thier junk email filter ???? anyway they have basically fitted it for me and not charged labour and to be fair they have done a cracking job,

cheers chaps
  • Stick some photos up before you ride it and get it all dirty :lol: .
  • they said my emails went into thier junk email filter

To give them the benefit of the doubt, that can happen, especially if you've emailed from a free webmail account (hotmail/Yahoo/Googlemail) - lots of people don't have the time or the inclination to wade through the thousands of V1@gr@ mails in their spam folders to find the few genuine ones that have been caught...

RBIT