whats better giant trance 3 2007 or kona king kikapu 2007

coatesylikesmtbing
edited August 2008 in MTB buying advice
im thinking of buying either a giant trance 3 or a kona king kikapu 2007 for general trail riding but i was wondering which one would be better

Comments

• scak456
    scak456 Posts: 55
    I have a 2007 KKK and it's great. Have upgraded a few bits and pieces but the base spec was fine to start with.

HTH
    SK
  • Trance's are amazing. I think they have a 5 star review on here, they say that it's got really good spec for an RRP of £1000
    Giant XTC 2.5 '08
    Felt Virtue 3 '10
    Giant Defy 2 '11
    Giant Terrago Disc '07 - Convereted for CX
    Fit Team Park Bmx '08
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I vote for the trance.
  • someone told me that the trances top tube was to long also how light is the trance 3 and the kona king kikapu
  • Anonymous
    if the trance's top tube is too long, then you've got a bike that's too big for you.

both are light enough that it makes no difference.
  • kl cheers for the advice
  • pittpony
    pittpony Posts: 1,057
    I recently got hold of an 07 Trance frame and love it, although the spec I've built mine up is very different to the Trance 3. The mate i bought it from raved about it too and only upgraded as he wanted something burlier.

I've heard the KKK is quite average - by no means bad but not superb. But not having ridden one i'm afraid i can't make a comparison. Weight wise my Trance is about 29 1/2 lbs but has relatively heavy saddle, wheels and pedals.
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    Both good bikes. The Giant would be my choice - they climb better. However Giants are known to have SHORT top tubes. I always have to ride a 'size up' with Giants because of this. Also the stems are often too long on Giants - worth thinking about before you buy.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • ainesy
    ainesy Posts: 5
    I was about to buy a trance 3, was gonna be my first full suss as my old kona nunu is dying, was going to get it on the bike to work scheme. Unfortunately got made redundant so that was the end of that!!! :(:( will try again tho! :)
  • Anonymous
    Bike to dole office scheme?
  • Anonymous
    Bike to dole office scheme?
  • `im 5.7 ft what size frame would need?
  • pittpony
    `im 5.7 ft what size frame would need?
    Have a look here :wink:
  • pittpony
    /\ /\ That said I'm 5ft 8 and ride a medium frame. Fits me well but frame size is also dictated by your body shape and riding style. Try one - see what feels comfortable! If you're anywhere near East kent and want to try a medium for size let me know :)
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    Well it's either a small or a medium. I'm 5'9'' (nearly) and needed a medium. Depends how long your arms are!
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • paulf2007
    paulf2007 Posts: 341
    `im 5.7 ft what size frame would need?
    if its a trance a 16". you'd be mad not to get one.
  • Hi there!
    I just upgraded to a trance 3 07 and so far the bike has performed brilliantly, I'm 5'6'' and have the 16'' frame which would probably work for you as your better off having a bike you can handle than one which stretchs you. just a little consideration is that the 08 has air shocks and lock outs on the front but that said this is still a fantastic bike. Try paulscycles for the best deals. I have not been on the Kona so can't comment on that bike but I'm sure that you would be chuffed to bits with whichever bike you brought considering both manufacturers reputations. Hope this is of some help.
    Tony