Wild Wales Challenge 2008

Doobz
Doobz Posts: 2,800
Anyone doing this next weekend?

Should be a great day out and usually a great atmosphere too..
cartoon.jpg

Comments

• rhionm
    rhionm Posts: 22
    I'm doing it and it will be my first sportive!! Looking forward (I think!!)
  • Doobz
    I am sure you will be fine.. Just find a group to ride with and you will be sorted - take some munchies with you also and eat every 20 miles or so. Have you been doing much distance and hills in your previous rides?
    cartoon.jpg
  • rhionm
    Well theres about 10 doing it from the club so I hope there will be someone to ride with all the way! Been doing a few long hilly rides, mostly by myself so I hope when riding with others it will seem a little easier!

Hope the weather pick's up though!!
  • Received the final update email from Ian Bulmer today but no GPX file attached this year.
  • Doobz
    no email here - bummer - possibly because I only got my entry in late..
    cartoon.jpg
  • rhionm
    No email here either, what kind of update did it include?

A GPX file of the route would have been very handy!
  • Essential Notes

You can only ride on YOUR assigned ENTRY NUMBER and not on someone else’s. THIS IS IN THE INTEREST OF SAFETY

It is important that the organisers know the whereabouts of ALL riders. Please ensure that you have your ‘Riders Record’ PERSONALLY SIGNED AT ALL CONTROL POINTS (including finish) before the ‘CUT OFF’ times. When signing on it is up to the individual. Please do not try to sign on for multiple riders to try and beat any potential queue. If you fail to meet the CONTROL Closing Times the organisers MUST be kept informed. THIS IS IN THE INTEREST OF SAFETY. You May be required to retire in this instance.

Your cycle should be in good working order and roadworthy. This should be checked prior to starting the event. You should also carry sufficient tools, lights; puncture kit and, perhaps, a spare inner tube.

Parts of the course can be exposed at times and riders are requested to carry sufficient clothing that is both warm and weatherproof. Don’t forget that the weather can be very changeable.

Please be aware that the route involves some climbs and rapid descents. Remember, this is a challenge ride and some may find it difficult.

While it should be possible to follow the course from the ‘Route Details’ provided riders are strongly advised to check the details, before starting, on OS 1:50000 Landranger maps sheets 124 & 125.

Refreshments will be provided at ALL hall stops on the route. The refreshments provided should be supplemented. Riders are advised to carry additional food and drink and stop on route for lunch as required.

A dedicated ‘sag wagon’ is be provided for the event and there will be helpers who can be called upon in an emergency. The sag wagon will remain behind the last known rider on the route.

Basic First Aid Kits will be available, if required, on ’sag wagon’ and at the refreshment stops. We cannot guarantee a ‘First Aider’ at all stops but may be able to provide assistance if needed.

Please take EXTREME CARE when joining & crossing main roads on the course. Please take the UTMOST CARE when riding in the narrow hedge lined lanes that make up a large part of the course especially if riding in a large group. PLEASE BE PATIENT WITH AND COURTEOUS TO OTHER ROAD USERS AT ALL TIMES. Please close gates behind you.

Please note Parking at Hall is limited. Please park considerately and do not block anyone’s driveway or entrance

There are several gates on this route which participants must close after passing through. This is a requirement of the Country Code. Participants are also advised that some gates will be encountered on descents and due diligence should be exercised at all times

There is a toll of 1.00 sterling payable on leaving the Barmouth bridge footpath. This charge is NOT included in the entry fee. Participants MUST pay this charge, preferably with the correct change. Cyclists and pedestrians use this bridge and are often accompanied by small children and dogs. Participants should exercise great care when crossing this bridge and should be prepared to dismount and walk if conditions dictate.

Club with the most entrants to date is Wolverhampton Wheelers. Please let me have a list of who you know have entered from YOUR club so I don’t miss anybody.
  • iain_j
    iain_j Posts: 1,941
    Have fun you lot - I would have been doing the Wild Wales this year if it wasn't for getting knocked off a couple of months ago :cry:
  • Doobz
    Sorry to hear that Iain - I hope you recover soon. Was it a bad accident? Was it your fault or were you hit by a car? I hope the insurance makes up for your downtime...

I will try and grab as many pics as possible and post them on here for you - I hope the weather behaves itself :?
    cartoon.jpg
  • iain_j
    iain_j Posts: 1,941
    Thanks Doobz - shouldn't really say "knocked off" cos I did it myself - went into the back of a car that stopped suddenly in front of me, riding home from work in rush-hour traffic. No-one to get money from this time :) Only low speed, luckily, but still cracked a rib or two. That was at the end of June, about the time I was going to put my entry in for the Wild Wales. I'm OK now, the bike's fine too, just waiting for my overtime money to come through so I can buy a new wheel. Too late to enter the WW now though, and even though I surprised myself a couple of weeks ago with 75 miles around Cheshire I'm probably not fit enough for the WW.

Not had a great deal of luck with the Wild Wales - first tried in 2004, one of our group crashed heavily on a soaking wet, muddy descent, 30 miles into it, so we limped back to Bala and still got our plaques. Didn't enter it in 2005, then in 2006, utterly knackered, we tried to cheat by cutting out the bit between Betws-y-Coed and Ffestiniog, taking the A470 instead, completely forgetting the Crimea Pass was in the way :shock:

Best of luck :P
  • Great ride as usual. Amazed that the rain held off!
    Rhion hope you enjoyed it, sorry I held you up on the climbs!
    Does anyone know if the chap from Stoke who crashed in Llanuwchllyn is okay? Was looking decidedly poorly when he got into the Ambulance.