Sportive training....

hopper1
hopper1 Posts: 4,389
I would like to have a go at the Autumn Epic this year, but I'm not sure about fitness level required, or the challenge presented, as I don't know the area.
Unfortunately, I work away from home, and for the next 5 weeks, my only form of training will be running around a heli deck (and you thought turbo's where boring!).
I can ride 40-50 miles at 16-18mph (relatively flat terrain).
I'll have about two weeks on my bike before the event.
Should I have a go, or give it a miss, I don't want to be a liability out on the course, coming home in the broom wagon! :oops:

Paul
Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!

Comments

• Toks
    Toks Posts: 1,143
    hopper1 wrote:
    I would like to have a go at the Autumn Epic this year, but I'm not sure about fitness level required, or the challenge presented, as I don't know the area.
    Unfortunately, I work away from home, and for the next 5 weeks, my only form of training will be running around a heli deck (and you thought turbo's where boring!).
    I can ride 40-50 miles at 16-18mph (relatively flat terrain).
    I'll have about two weeks on my bike before the event.
    Should I have a go, or give it a miss, I don't want to be a liability out on the course, coming home in the broom wagon! :oops:

Paul
    er...it all depends; is that 16-18mph a very comfortably paced cruise or an intense non stop panting fest? If its the latter I'd give the Epic a miss. The running won't do a great deal for your cycling fitness. If you can put in some good efforts in the 1-3 hour range before the event you might get by. However you need to factor in recovery too. Sorry but its all about weighing up your options. Alternatively just go for it and whatever happens happens - it'll be an experience :D
  • richa
    richa Posts: 1,631
    How fit are you? How do you feel about 7-8hrs of cycling?

I would do plenty of running for the next 5 weeks. Then a couple of long rides. Then go for it, take it steady and see how you get on.
    Rich
  • liversedge
    liversedge Posts: 1,003
    It's not often that I disagree with Rich but running is not good training for cycling. It is good for the CV system and weight management but in my experience it does nothing good for your leg strength or endurance. I think it helps to lose them if anything.

Can you not get hold of a turbo? I assume you are on a rig? There must be a stationary bike or elliptical-trainer in the gym?

BTW, in my experience cycling is good cross training for running but not the other way around, I've never really understood why. Of course, it could be down to me and the way I train!
    --
    Obsessed is just a word elephants use to describe the dedicated. http://markliversedge.blogspot.com
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    liversedge wrote:
    running is not good training for cycling. It is good for the CV system and weight management but in my experience it does nothing good for your leg strength or endurance.
    Endurance has a mental as well physical side to it; I find running helps there.
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    Thanks for the response, guys.....
    Yes, I'm on a rig, but it's very old and absolutely no gym equipment on board, hence running around the helideck!
    The 16-18mph pace is easy riding.
    I doubt I'll have a problem with the mental side of it, I used to run marathons a few years back, so I can put in an effort for a reasonable length of time.
    I think I should initially do a long ride when I get home, see how I feel (mentally & physically), then progress from there.
    I'm just hesitating as, if I don't pre enter, I probably wont get a shot at doing it, and if I pre enter and don't feel up to it, thhen it's a waste of money! But, then again, it's not that expensive, I guess.
    Main concern is the hilly terrain, if it was where I live (Norfolk), then I wouldn't hesitate!
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!