Woburn Sands, where to park, where to start?

mbrfan
mbrfan Posts: 239
edited September 2008 in Routes
Would like to try out Woburn Sands for a bit of XC, maybe try the dual slalom, but where should I park, and where best to pick up the trails? Any time of day or day of week I should avoid?

S

Comments

• nonnac85
    nonnac85 Posts: 1,608
    Where is the dual slalom?...The only one I know locally (I live nr Bedford) is at Chicksands.
    For Woburn carparks look at my map HERE

Doesnt really matter which day you go - doesnt tend to get to busy. You probably need an OS map of area / go on STREETMAP because there arent really any signposted routes.
    My Website - Trail Centre info for the UK: MTB Trail Time
  • mbrfan
    Cheers for the info, looking forward to checking it out tomorrow morning.

The dual slalom was mentioned in one of the hits when I googled Woburn, so figured it was a well known landmark - but then the searches for Sherwood mentioned jumps that haven't existed for a while either. No worries, won't spoil the fun. Just glad to be out on a bike.

Steve
  • nonnac85
    How was Woburn - sandy i guess!!
  • mbrfan
    Sandy, muddy, fun - after an hour of pottering around we hooked up with a couple of guys who took us on a 30 min loop at some speed. It was great - something I'd missed since moving away from Swinley. We will return! Found your parking suggestion easily enough, only an hour away from P'boro and infinitely, (imho), better than Thetford.

There's loads to explore, so I reckon a few more trips and we can have a 2 hour loop sorted out. Do you know if there's a lbs that does evening rides?

Many thanks for the help.

S
  • nonnac85
    There is Woburn Crankers and Cyclone.
    Cyclone are the more serious/organised of the two groups.
    Go on Cyclone's forum and there is a section about trail information where people have put some maps etc.
    Did you find the Rollercoaster downhill/singletrack section behind the church?
  • mbrfan
    Certainly found a downhill section and bottled out of a jump or two: we also found loads of nice singletrack, including a nice bit that came out by a car park on the south side - I think we went the wrong way on that one. Didn't see a church though. Still, gives me something to look for next time.

Cheers for the links.
  • nonnac85
    Put Bow Brickhill into streetmap website. You should see a wood called Back Wood. The church is on the north edge of the wood. Turn off from the road and IIRC there is a gate? and a carpark. After this you turn left - i think there will be be a fence on your left and the golf course. The Rollercoaster is on your right maybe about 5-10mins ride - not signposted - its just a turn off which goes fairly steeply down and then becomes swoopy singletrack. Joins up with a track at the bottom which if you go left it takes you back to the top.
  • mbrfan
    Cheers. Planning to go back Sunday 7th and hopefully bring some others. Can't wait. Just nine days of work to endure.....
  • Hey steve.
    Woburn is cool, you should come down there one evening, the silly grin lot head out there occasionally on a wednesday evening.
    Its fun in the dark too
  • mbrfan
    Cheers Graham, spoke to our mutual friend who says you've been teaching him a thing or two on the downhill bits.

I've signed up to do a TrailQuest at Holbeach on the 7th, so now aiming to return to Woburn on the 14th. Some of the P'boro lot want to check it out too, so may see you down there.

Night riding sounds a lot of fun - will need to save up for a decent set of lights - but certainly up for it one weekday autumn evening. Don't suppose any of you could lend me a lamp for a night?

Steve
  • Yeah he is trying some stuff on the downhill stuff.
    May be down there that day then should be a laugh.

I can probably lay my hands on a spare set of lights, will have to have a chat with a mate though