cost to set up shimano 105 gears at lbs?

MontBelzoni
MontBelzoni Posts: 13
edited August 2008 in Road beginners
how much approx is a bike shop going to charge to set up my gears

they are shimano 105 triple 30 speed

the bike is second hand but only covered 60 miles

what is a reasonable price?

Comments

• Yeti575
    Yeti575 Posts: 291
    It's only ten minutes of a job, I'd say no more than a £10-15. Just take it in and ask them. I take it the chainset and mechs/chain etc are already on the bike?
    If it's not a Yeti, it's not worth riding!
  • sub55
    sub55 Posts: 1,025
    DIY
    constantly reavalueating the situation and altering the perceived parameters accordingly
  • Yeti575
    Yeti575 Posts: 291
    It's OK saying DIY but if the bloke doesn't know how to it's a bit of a none brainer. I'd just take it down to the LBS mate and ask if they can do it there and then seeing as it's only a ten minute job!
    If it's not a Yeti, it's not worth riding!
  • sub55
    sub55 Posts: 1,025
    Got to disagree with you there mate. far better to have a play around in the garage and get a understanding of the mech`s and cable tensions etc.
    so when your out in the middle of nowhere, with the rain pissing down .you have a vague understanding of what you`ve got to do to get yourself home ,when it all goes pair shaped. now thats the no brainer.
    constantly reavalueating the situation and altering the perceived parameters accordingly
  • Doobz
    Doobz Posts: 2,800
    have a look on youtube howto do it first.. have a go.. if you stuff it up then take it to the LBS :)
    cartoon.jpg
  • johnnyc71
    johnnyc71 Posts: 178
    I just paid £15 to have my gears set up. This is after I tried myself and stuffed it up :shock:

I agree that you can learn to do it yourself, but it's best to be shown and talked through it face to face with someone.
  • DIY.. i spent 7 hours with written instructions and videos and although i have set up the rear sprockets the triple front i am giving up with!

i did try! :oops:
  • johnnyc71
    johnnyc71 Posts: 178
    I just put a new back wheel on my bike - and noticed the rear derailleur cable wasn't sitting flush in the cable guide on the frame. Of course when I slotted it in place - it put all of the gears out again. :roll:

Bottom line is I just had to sort it out myself - I now have a better idea and have got it running nicely. So much for spending £15 - they couldn't even get the cable housing to sit in the frame guide.
  • feel
    feel Posts: 800
    Is THIS of any use to anyone.
    We are born with the dead:
    See, they return, and bring us with them.