WHAT BIKE 2008

Comments

• rowlers
    rowlers Posts: 1,614

Thanks Rowlers, what's the issue with the forks? Is the same issue present on say the 6500 or 6700 models?

Thanks

Paul

No specific issue, they just feel the cheapest part of the whole package, (They are Dart 2s), they do they job though.
  • You cant beat the Carrera Fury for the cash, double butted frame and 302 tora fork all in for the bargain! :wink:
  • moggy17
    moggy17 Posts: 11
    hi, is the commencal combi disc any good for £375?
  • rowlers wrote:

No specific issue, they just feel the cheapest part of the whole package, (They are Dart 2s), they do they job though.

Ah ok...well I purchased a Trek 6700 today...Rock Shox front forks. So looking forward to taking it out for a test ride tomorrow....16k planned now so just need to remember my tools to carry out any adjustments along the way!!

Cheers for all the advice!

One quick question... there's a very slight binding noise hardly audible on the front and back disk brakes every half turn of the wheels...is that just the new disks and pads bedding in???

Paul
  • Tucky
    Tucky Posts: 34
    Been round a few shops today.

Seen the GT Avalanche 1.0 at £500, and a nice Scott for £550.

Bloke at another bike shop reckons out of those available locally, it would be between an Orange G2 (£550) or a Giant XTC 4.5 (£500)

Or I could even stretch to the Orange G3 if this was really worth while.

Any opinions on these bikes?!
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The Giant is a bit more racy than the others, so we be a worthwhile to have a qick test of them, even if it is just around the car park.
  • Tucky
    Tucky Posts: 34
    Had a quick ride of the Giant around the car park, the only one I've ridden so far. Felt pretty nice. They haven't got any of the Orange's in store, so would need to order that one in.
  • supersonic
    If they can do sale or return then worth a test of it. Hard to recommend a bike you can't at least sit on for size. try the GT: you'll notice the more relaxed and upright stance.
  • Joonyer
    Joonyer Posts: 14
    Got my Trek 4300 (2007) for £300 from local shop - lovely bike, light as anything, tubeless tyres, disk brakes, 8 speed, love it ;)
  • supersonic
    As 2008 bikes roll in, this thread will be updated accordingly. I'll include some full sussers too.
  • moggy17
    moggy17 Posts: 11
    Tucky wrote:
    Been round a few shops today.

Seen the GT Avalanche 1.0 at £500, and a nice Scott for £550.

Bloke at another bike shop reckons out of those available locally, it would be between an Orange G2 (£550) or a Giant XTC 4.5 (£500)

Or I could even stretch to the Orange G3 if this was really worth while.

Any opinions on these bikes?!

i just got the 2008 GT Avalanche 1.0 Disc with a decent discount too, i think its a cracking bike for the money.
  • Georgeb
    Georgeb Posts: 315
    Also just an update on the 08 carerra kraken. Its has a remote lockout fork, and hydrualic tektro auriga brakes. As stated on halfords website- http://tinyurl.com/6bhojp
  • supersonic
    Cheers, been meaning to change that!

A couple of the Halfords bikes have had mid season spec changes.
  • g00ner
    g00ner Posts: 3
    Standard newbie question :)

Just starting out, 40, fat, unfit

Been to my LBS (Larkfield Cycles) and liked the Commencal Combi DLX - to my unenlightened eye it seemed more than capable for me

Through work I can use the C2W scheme at Halfords and have seen the Boardman range, again seems more than enough bike though I'm not sure about buying from there.

Any plus points of the two bikes mentioned or would you recommend spending a little less as a starter bike? I'm not loaded (far from it) but don't want to upgrade later due to buying too cheap

Your views much appreciated, cheers
  • Just though I'd say... "Supersonic" Well done on this forum :wink: Me thinks it is very good :D
  • H3ndr1X
    H3ndr1X Posts: 91
    Well I'm completely stuck! started a thread but was told to come here. I'm looking at getting my first hardtail, and desite spending the last 3/4 months of potentially valuable riding time searching high and lo for the right bike I still can't find or at least can't decide what's best for me. I will need it for road use and once a week throwing round some XC trails

My budget started about 300 so was looking at entry level hardtail, but now after seeing nealry every dealer is offering interest free credit, my budget is up to about 5-600. That does however means that my options are now huge!!!

Been looking at loads of models-

08 rockhopper disk
    08 orange G2
    08 Trek 6500
    08 Marin Northside
    08 GT Avalanche 1.0

to name just a few. I need a good frame that will last and allow me to modify over time. As I'm using it for road use, a fork with lockout is pretty high on the list, also hydrolics would be great for the trails. But mainly something that looks sexy.

Does anyone have any suggestions and advice, i really need it.

Cheers
  • supersonic
    Have you tried any out? Feel and fit is usually more important than raw value for money.
  • BlackSpur
    BlackSpur Posts: 4,228
    BUT I would discount the Marin - very poor VFM
    "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling." ~James E. Starrs
  • H3ndr1X
    Supersonic - I'm off down to my local store today and will try out the Treks and maybe the Avalanche.
    Blackspur - cheers bud, they do seem to be the only bikes in that price bracket not to had lockout or hydrolics.

Back soon to let you know how i get on.

Cheers
  • BlackSpur
    BlackSpur Posts: 4,228
    Plus the Marin is only 8 speed and the fork is awful! I'm a fan of the Trek and the Rockhopper, as well as the GT (I own one!). Carrera Fury offers the best VFM around this price range. Fit is definitely important though - don't buy blind!
    "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling." ~James E. Starrs
  • H3ndr1X
    Went to my local store this afternoon.Tried out the Trek, GT and the Marin and i can easily say that the trek is the most comfortable so far :D . I still need to try out the rockhopper so i need to find a store near me that stocks them.
  • ric7481
    ric7481 Posts: 103
    Hi, am in the same boat - looking for something to replace my very retro Muddy Fox razor mega.......how old is that ??

I have looked at loads, and it comes down to the Scott aspect 45 @ £330 or the Felt Q720 @ £425.............I ride probably about once a week for about 2 hours, quite light stuff, singletrack - south downs way , leith hill type stuff - will the felt be worth the extra ?

Many thanks in advance - both are 2008 bikes
  • how about a saracen mantra 1
    its £350 with manitou axel forks they are great
    nice frame and good spec i dont have this bike but my friend does and he has used it for all sorts this bike is normally for trail riding and xc but he has used it for downhill freeride and dirtjumping
    i think its one of the best starter bikes
    apart from my 2008 gt chucker1.0 of course :D
  • supersonic wrote:
    UP TO £300:

This is about the price for a good capable entry level hardtail. It is worth
    reading the beginners bike thread for info on what to look for. However there are
    some very good machines below this price that will suit many first time buyers.

Giant Boulder - £200: thoughtful speccing form Giant gives us a well laid out and capable entry level MTB with features usuallu unseen at this price

Decathlon Rockrider 5.2 - £200: alloy frame, 8spd, alloy components, decent fork,
    V brakes and sub 30lbs weight make this a great starter bike for those who dont
    want to venture too far off road.

GT Avalanche 3.0 Disc - £299: classic entry level bike sports great frame and parts, and a set of cable disc brakes for superior wet weather performance.

Carrera Vulcan - £299: similar to the Avalanche in spec and forks, another good
    entry level machine with solid frame and parts. Edit: check out the latest version with a damped XCM fork!

Mongoose Tyax Elite - £299: one of the best selling bikes of the year. Ups the
    ante with a superb damped forks, but still gets 8spd drivetrain, good frame and
    cable discs, excellent performer if a little weighty.

3-£500

In this price range things move up a gear. Forks start to have damping cartridges, offering much better performance off road: gears may be 9sp, not only offering more range, but more durability. Even hydraulic discs are appearing, which are simply the best stopper out there. Not all offer all this, it depends on what you want from the bike, but personally I feel the fork is the most important component for performance.

Trek 4300 - £300: another classic entry level XC bike. May not have the fancy forks and discs of others, but classy frame and light weight make it a good bike for light trails and paths, or to upgrade.

Carrera Kraken - £360: amazing value bike from Carrera shoehorns 9spd Sram gearing, Tektro hydro discs, superb frame and damped suntour fork for a great price. Only slightly high weight lets it down

GT Avalanche 2.0 and Mongoose Tyax Super - £400: two very similar bikes set the budget standard. Proven frames, damped forks with lockout, good quality shimano drivetrain and amazingly hydraulic discs

Specialized Hardrock Pro - £400: Sturdy offering from Specialized, with well proven Avid disc brakes, butted frame, hydraulic lockout sus fork and dependable shimano drivetrain.

Trek 4500 - £400: no discs on this one, but 9spd Shimano, Rockshox fork and light weight make for another excellent XC offering from Trek

Giant Terrago - £430: 9spd, hydro brakes and oil damped fork with a frame like this for 430 quid?

Genesis Core - £450: the new kid on the block, designed for UK riders. Standout fork make this a good option, backed up with decent brakes and tyres.
    I am looking to get something to add some off road to my portfolio of cycling. I currently use a £150 Concept on the grassy lanes around my home. Only do a couple of hundred miles off road a year and a couple of thousand on road...

Are these still relevant and if not, is there anything new to the list?

Any help greatly appreciated.
  • Ok, 1st post and newbie to the forum and MTBiking!

Want a half decent bike for the commute to work, but also good enough for some off-road stuff at the weekends around the local fields and forest. Budget is a meagre £300 so cant afford half the bikes i'd like, but with a young son and decent sized mortgage my hands are tied! Have found a 2006 Saracen Rufftrax 4 online for under that budget, and looks to be good build/quality and price, but how does it rate?

As a comparison, have been looking at GT Avalanche 3.0 disc, Specialized Hardrock Sport, Scott Aspect 55, Mongoose Tyax Comp or Elite Disc, etc...

I appreciate it's down to how they feel as you ride them, but also dont want to buy an overpriced bike with poor shocks/brakes/gears, as I dont know enough about this side yet to know whats good or not! I know that SRAM gears are good and the Saracen has that, it's also Aluminium which is good, Disc brakes are better in wet/muddy conditions and the Saracen has disc front and v-rear...good/bad?!

Any advice gratefully recieved, and please correct me if anything is wrong, I am a newbie and know it! :oops:

Thanks 8)
    Newbie with a Felt Q720

A day where you don't learn something is a waste...
  • grenno
    grenno Posts: 6
    I have similar questions:

I had a GT tequesta, but it was stolen.

A company working for my insurance company say I could have a carerra vulcan or a gt aggressor xc.3.

My initial feeling is that neither of these bikes is as good as the one that was stolen, am I wrong?

Rob.
  • TheRevOlutionary
    TheRevOlutionary Posts: 1,176
    edited August 2008
    Could I add the 2007 Merida SUB 40D to the list. I know they make the frames for Specialized, but are the rest of the kit good enough?

...and who are Python?!?

http://www.factorydirectbikes.com/bikes ... t_dd_27sp/

Thanks again :D
    Newbie with a Felt Q720

• supersonic
    Jimmy - pretty much still relevant! Are 2008 models, but 2009 models are starting to appear, and I will update the list when I have more details.

Revo: all are good for the money, with slight variations in spec. I prefer the Elite as it has the better fork. Rear V brake not always a bad thing - saves weight, frees up money for elsewhere. I'd avoid buying online, and take advantage of dealer service.

Grenno: Things have moved on! I think these bikes do offer an upgrade over the Tequesta, even if the Tequesta was more expensive in it's day.
  • supersonic wrote:
    Jimmy - pretty much still relevant! Are 2008 models, but 2009 models are starting to appear, and I will update the list when I have more details.

Revo: all are good for the money, with slight variations in spec. I prefer the Elite as it has the better fork. Rear V brake not always a bad thing - saves weight, frees up money for elsewhere. I'd avoid buying online, and take advantage of dealer service.

Grenno: Things have moved on! I think these bikes do offer an upgrade over the Tequesta, even if the Tequesta was more expensive in it's day.
    Thanks :) am hoping to get to a local Evans Cycles soon and check them out, but didnt want to get bamboozled with info I knew nothing about and come out with an average bike for decent money, rather a decent bike for 2007/8 money :wink:
    Newbie with a Felt Q720

• Anything to particularly look for or avoid btw?!
    Newbie with a Felt Q720