Systematic doping in the Irish camp......

emadden
emadden Posts: 2,431
edited August 2008 in Pro race
but not for cycling....

:shock: :lol:
http://www.irishtimes.com/sports/other/ ... 85208.html

I wonder will the horse appeal :D:D

Next year WADA will introduce drug tests for bicycles...
www.dotcycling.com

Comments

• It's depressing the percentage of Irish Gold medal winners who are drug cheats. Two out of not very many. :(
    Dan
  • Nay, I doubt the Dobbin's will appeal. It is a terrible thing to be saddled with though. The Irish need to take an anti-doping stance by the bit and whip themselves into shape. Hopefully, the ideal of competing clean should spur them on in future competition's and not trot out all the usual excuses.

I'll get me coat.
  • DavidBelcher
    DavidBelcher Posts: 2,684
    emadden wrote:
    but not for cycling....

:shock: :lol:
    http://www.irishtimes.com/sports/other/ ... 85208.html

I wonder will the horse appeal :D:D

Next year WADA will introduce drug tests for bicycles...

I hope (but very much doubt) that horse-based glue isn't used in the manufacture of carbon frames, otherwise there might be the odd 'false positive'! :wink:

David
    "It is not enough merely to win; others must lose." - Gore Vidal
  • unclemalc
    unclemalc Posts: 563
    If WADA introduce a test for bikes, I am going to be 'out' (on the bike) when they call, and my phone wil be off... :?
    Spring!
    Singlespeeds in town rule.
  • drenkrom
    drenkrom Posts: 1,062
    'I don't remember where my bike was during the month of June"
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    The UCI must only gaze in wonderment at the damage limitation exercises the various horse sport federations can produce at a drop of a hat. Already Horse Sport Ireland have issued a statement that the "doping" relates to the use of an equine "Deep Heat"-type product on the horse's back.

No mention, of course, of why a horse in the heat of Beijing tested positive for this while nary a failed test for the same material on the colder European circuit. Nor of the fact that one of the reasons this stuff is banned is that they put it on the front of the horse's legs to hypersensitise them, making it far more painful if the horse hits a fence and thus more inclined to pick up its legs.

I wonder if WADA will suggest that equestrian events be banned from the Olympics?
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • Saw this elsewhere:
    The Bjarne Riis line - I had no idea that my horse was taking drugs. I can't watch over them 24 hours a day. When they get back to the stable they do their own thing. I can't be responsible if they are taking drugs in the stable.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    The Canadian who won today makes pro cyclists look like models of probity and restraint

Controversial Canadian wins after bans

The eventual winner of the individual show jumping gold medal, Eric Lamaze of Canada, has been a controversial figure for more than 10 years, being banned as a consequence of recareational drug use.

He first tested positive for cocaine in 1996 and was suspended from competition for four years, including during the Atlanta Games.

This was later reduced to seven months after he successfully appealed against the penalty, arguing he had used the drug for personal, not performance-enhancing, reasons.

He was given a lifetime ban just before the 2000 Olympics in Sydney for consuming two banned substances found in cold remedies and a diet supplement.

This ban was overturned after his lawyer argued that the items had not been properly labelled.

During the time he was banned he again tested positive for cocaine, which he admitted he had taken in a cigarette during a party, and was given a second lifetime ban.

He successfully appealed against that ban on the grounds that the drug was used at a time when he was under a lifetime ban and was therefore irrelevant.
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    Give it a few days and the horse will be all over the papers shouting about a mysterious twin foal !

cheers
    MG
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • DavidBelcher
    DavidBelcher Posts: 2,684
    The best comedy dope-test story I've heard in relation to horses has to be late last year, when after a race in France jockey Kieren Fallon tested positive for coke. And the name of the horse? 'My Boy Charlie' - you couldn't make it up! :)

David
    "It is not enough merely to win; others must lose." - Gore Vidal