Manchester 100M

stueyc
stueyc Posts: 518
Im doing this in september,currently commuting approx 20 mile a day 4-5days a week and maybe 30 mile leisure at the weekend
do i need to step things up a little to make this 100m?
any advice on route,hills etc?

Comments

• zenzinnia
    zenzinnia Posts: 698
    I'm doing it too. My guess is that you'll be fine but I would advise that you do at least one longer ride just to see what it's like, say 50 - 75 miles. I stepped up from doing some 20mile rides and occassional 50s to 100s without much problem but it's good to feel confident about doing it and know that you can sit on a bike for a long time without serious problems (back, neck, bum etc). The route is really flat I've heard (it is Cheshire!) with a bit of a hill near the end. Good luck - maybe see you on the road - Ill be riding a red Kinesis Racelight.
    To err is human,
    but to really screw things up you need a shimano - campag mixed drivechain.
  • stueyc
    Thanks Zenzinnia..

Been thinking about at least one longer ride before this so thats what i shall do,apprecite the advice.

Ill keep an eye out for your red racelight
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,172
    It's probably the easiest sportive in UK so it's a good one to start with... flat as a pancake, apart for a nasty little hill half the way...

A bit late to think about specific preparation, just clock in as many miles as you can and remember to stay in a bunch, let the others do the work for you!
    left the forum March 2023
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    Well it's not a sportive, it's a charity ride, but if you've never done a Century before it should be an achievement to be proud of.

If you're already doing the sort of distances you say riding 6 days a week, you should be plenty fit enough to do it and already be aware of whether your bike fits or anything's uncomfortable or rubs, which of course will be worse after 6 or 7 hours in the saddle.

A longer distance or two might be an idea though, if not essential because you're doing 100-130m a week anyway.
    You have two more weekends and one of them's a bank holiday, so get a couple of longer rides in - if you can manage 60 miles as a training/try-out run then you'll easily do 100 on the day.
    Maybe you could take it easy at the end of the week before the ride, not commute in on the Thurs & Fri perhaps and have a lazy Saturday rather than digging over the garden or whatever.

The route is pretty flat and there's a wide variety of people out, ranging from serious racers blitzing round and trying to set a time through to newbies on MTB's with knobbly tyres who are happy to finish. Everyone's got their own target so just enjoy it.
  • stueyc
    Thanks Andy...spot on advice and appreciate your reply
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    Someone's mapped-out the route
    http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Ma ... miles37930

It's not pancake flat, there are quite a few smaller hills (the biggest [worst?best?] at Kelsall, after Delamere Forest), but it's not 'hilly' as this is Cheshire rather than say the Peak District.

I work in Wythenshawe and use that Ashley-Tatton-Mere route home if I bike-commute, it gets you out of South Manchester quickly and easily.
    Most of the 'rural Cheshire' stuff is weekend training ride territory and it's a pretty well-chosen route, quiet and scenic roads.
    I might not go quite that way round Northwich myself, and the road at Wettonhall is so potholey it could be good training for Paris-Roubaix, but overall it's a very good route.
    Only bit I don't know that well is the route back in via Styal .
  • ColinJ
    ColinJ Posts: 2,218
    andy_wrx wrote:
    Only bit I don't know that well is the route back in via Styal .
    That's where the steepest hill on the whole route is! I got caught out by it the first time that I did the M100. There's a fast downhill into a 90 degree righthand bend and then the road kicks up through some woods just before the prison. If you aren't strong enough to power-up the bugger in the big ring, make sure that you have changed down before you get to it or you might end up like me - grinding to a sudden halt and having to dismount.
  • Mettan
    Mettan Posts: 2,103
    I'm doing it aswell - stepped up to 2 or 3, 32 - 35 milers per week each containing just under 1000 ft of climbing - makes a change for me (given the knee injury). This morning the knee was in alot of pain (as usuall) and that coincided with cramp in my upper right calf (same leg) - hobbling gingerly now for 2 - 3 days :cry:

The Manchester route itself contains just under 3000 ft of climbing in total, with the main climbing around Kelsall - hoping for little/no wind on the day - would prefer mild rain to wind.
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    I'm riding it - my first 100 mile for a long time, just hoping for good weather. I regularly ride 50-60 mile hilly rides (commute 20 miles a day), but just fancy getting a 100 in this year - not too hilly - just to judge the speed / disance. Hoping for a good time though.

That's not a hill in Styal - I was chatting to a colleague about it, and I siad "Where is this hill" - it's just a dip - down one side, up the other. The road before used to be cobbled, but now tarmaced over - shame as it added some interest.... don't worry about it. Cheshire is lumpy. The 'lumps' might challenge a beginner, but not an experienced cyclest.

What's the sign posting like ?

And more importantly, where are the stops / refreshments / what do they sell ?
  • fossyant
    Ah - just checked - Stanneylands road was cobbled in the past, not on this route !
  • stueyc
    what kind of times you guys looking for?
  • fossyant
    Me, under 6 hours...deffo....depends upon groups etc..

Allthough might be riding with some 'colleagues' so that may change my time. Just want to get back into it, see what I can do over that distance (I only normally do 40-50 miles on my own - time/family etc).

Then onto the 'hard' ones next year.
  • ColinJ
    fossyant wrote:
    That's not a hill in Styal - I was chatting to a colleague about it, and I siad "Where is this hill" - it's just a dip - down one side, up the other. The road before used to be cobbled, but now tarmaced over - shame as it added some interest.... don't worry about it. Cheshire is lumpy. The 'lumps' might challenge a beginner, but not an experienced cyclest.

What's the sign posting like ?

And more importantly, where are the stops / refreshments / what do they sell ?
    It's not a hill in the Holme Moss sense. Yes it's just a dip, as I described above. You will go into at about 40 mph, go round the bend and grind to a halt unless you are very strong OR have changed gear in anticipation.

Here it is:

styal_m100.jpg

The signing is usually very good. There should be (and usually is) a sign at every junction as well as a marshal to point the way. One year when I did the M100 there was a left turn but both sign and marshall were missing so I went straight on and plunged down a hill, ending up way off route. I ended up doing an extra 10 miles to get back on course. There are near enough 100 junctions, reasonably well spread-out and they are numbered so they give you a good idea of how far there is to go even if you don't have a computer on your bike.

The times I've done the M100, there was a stop at about 25 miles at some village hall. I just filled a bottle and went on. The 'halfway' stop isn't at halfway, it's at more like 55 miles at a school in Nantwich. You can buy stuff at the school cafeteria but I usually carry my own. There are a couple of big water barrels outside. The third stop is at a canalside pub, I think it's in Middlewich. Usual pub grub available. I can't remember whether there is a table outside or whether you have to queue in the pub - I don't usually stop there.

M100 route - a link to a GPX file of the route from a couple of years back (I assume that it hasn't changed much).
  • ColinJ
    andy_wrx wrote:
    I might not go quite that way round Northwich myself, and the road at Wettonhall is so potholey it could be good training for Paris-Roubaix
    That's true! I was in danger of losing my fillings or wrecking the Proton wheels on my Cannondale so I had to stop and lower my tyre pressures for that section :shock: !
  • a_n_t
    a_n_t Posts: 2,011
    ColinJ wrote:
    There's a fast downhill into a 90 degree righthand bend and then the road kicks up through some woods just before the prison.

I hate that bugger, it always gets me when i've been out in the peaks all day!! Its about 10% so not too bad, a big ringer if you're feeling fresh.
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    10m 20:21 2014
    25m 53:18 20:13
    50m 1:57:12 2013
    100m Yeah right.
  • de_sisti
    de_sisti Posts: 1,283
    I'm down for it (no.1) and will travel up the night before and try to stay at my brother's house in Timperley (2 miles from start) or sister's house in Sale (about 3 miles from start). Missed 8 weeks riding (from 2nd June) due to foot op (Bilateral 1st metatarsophalangeal joint fusions on both feet) so it'll be a very steady 100m or the slightly quicker 100 km.
  • stueyc
    good luck maander...hope the foot holds up
  • de_sisti
    de_sisti Posts: 1,283
    Cheers stuey
  • I've done it a few times its good fun, very relaxed an informal ride. Well marshalled, nice route, goes past my front door; so I've redone it a few times on my own. I normally do it in about 5hrs 30
    Steve
    some bikes and sheep and stuff:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/16682367@N00/
  • zenzinnia
    zenzinnia Posts: 698
    I've done the Style Rd hill many times on my trip back to the parental home - it's not too bad just a final challenge after a long ride - my usual route also takes in the Cliff Rd hill coming out of Wilmslow too but the M/c 100 goes round it. I've always sort of seen them as a pair ever since I was a kid and we drove out to Alderly Edge for familly outings - I always liked the dark tunnel effect of the overhanging trees and the way the car used to struggle up them (old car).

I'm aiming to beat 6hrs and have got people to double their sponsorship if I do.
    To err is human,
  • Is it just me or is this route actually tougher on the body than a mountainous 100 miler? I ask because the first time I did it, I ended up being more exhausted than I have ever felt on a bike before and conditions weren't too bad at all. I get the impression that because it is flattish (don't think it's totally flat though; there is over 1000 metres of climb in total after all) then you are pedalling for virtually all of it with little, or less certainly, in the way of free-wheeling downhills than is the case in the White Rose or Pendle Pedal for instance.

And I also echo the sentiments regarding the hill at Styal. With 90-odd miles in the legs, it is not the best sight you will ever see, that's for sure.
    Your optimism strikes me like junk mail addressed to the dead.
  • Data1959
    Data1959 Posts: 31
    Does anyone know why there is a 30 min stop half way around on this ????
  • Data1959 wrote:
    Does anyone know why there is a 30 min stop half way around on this ????
    check out this discussion

http://www.cyclechat.co.uk/forums/showt ... 550&page=2
    some bikes and sheep and stuff:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/16682367@N00/
  • Mettan
    Are the feed/drink stations at Norley & Middlewich? - I don't want to take too much fluid but want enough re cramp etc - thinking 2 x 750 ml bottles.
  • fossyant
    2 x 750 will be fine and a refill halfway 55mls.

Having not ridden 100 miles for a number of years - probably 15 years.... - used to race until 10 years ago, but only TT's so no big distances.

Went out for a quick 60, to test fueling etc. Did the 60 in under 3 hours, with 2 x 750ml bottles of Isostar Long Energy mix and 2 x small flap jacks and 1 x frusili bar.

So a water refill at 55 miles (take your own powder) will be fine. I won't be loading up on loads of stuff as I felt absolutely fine after the 60 !
  • Mettan
    Thanks Fossyant, that sounds about right - recently upped the mileage to around 80 -120 miles a week - training's done, although I've been experiencing reccurent cramp in my upper right calf (every ride.. worryingly) - forced rest for 9 or 10 days remaining now :wink: - taking no chances . Weather looks mixed on the Met Office long range forecast - worth keeping an eye on.
  • volvine
    volvine Posts: 409
    sound advise guys although i am worried about the times some of you lot are posting a good few hours quicker than i think i will do :oops: :oops:
    not bothered if it takes me 12 hours i have never done 100 miles in 1 day so that is the goal for me although going of your times they will have packed up the finishing line by the time i roll in :cry:
  • I might not go quite that way round Northwich myself, and the road at Wettonhall is so potholey it could be good training for Paris-Roubaix, but overall it's a very good route.

Cheshire Council have recently "re-surfaced" a lot of the stretch from Reaseheath to Wettenhall (where I live) - the method involved hot tar and copious amounts of chippings - the pot holes are now a bit smoother :wink:

Hope its good weather - just got back from doing the Transrockies MTB Race so hopefully the hills will seem a lot flatter :lol:

See you all then - I be on Cannondale Saeco replica - say hello or give me a push !!!!

Cheers

Martin
  • The weather for this isn't looking too chipper - is it protcol to go for mudguards or will it still be OK without?
    To err is human,
  • stueyc
    finally got my number through...getting a little excited now...fingers crossed weather holds up!