So what do we think of the BMX then?

Eurostar
Eurostar Posts: 1,806
edited August 2008 in Pro race
They look like a bunch of 12 year olds in that scene from ET with the flying shopping bike. But when they take their helmets off they turn out to be grown-ups. One of them is 30.

One has changed his name by deed poll to Kamikazi. Shame he can't spell it. Another is called Bob the Builder. (OK, it's Rob de Wilde, but you can't tell.)

And that odd Steven Hawking voice controlling the auto start thing: "OK riders, random start, riders ready, watch the gate.......DOODOODOODOODOOOO"....then they charge down the side of a house. Most odd. Makes track cycling look completely safe. It seems they break more bones than all the other athletes combined.

But whenever Shanaze is on I'm hypnotized, waiting for her to take her helmet off and give us that mid-coital look...hair all over the place, panting, crazy appetite in her eyes. I would rather have her than ten Pendletons.

love0031.gif
love0031.gif
love0031.gif
<hr>
<h6>What\'s the point of going out? We\'re just going to end up back here anyway</h6>

Comments

• heavymental
    heavymental Posts: 2,076
    Eurostar wrote:
    But whenever Shanaze is on I'm hypnotized, waiting for her to take her helmet off and give us that mid-coital look...hair all over the place, panting, crazy appetite in her eyes. I would rather have her than ten Pendletons.

Agreed. She's got something about her hasn't she :P . Watched something about her this morning on the tv and then saw her crash on her first run just as I was stepping out the door to go to work :shock: . Had to check what happened as my first job of the day! :lol:
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    Can't believe how steep that start ramp is..................I'd be coming down there with both brakes on :lol:
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    I'd be coming down there with skis on...
  • Bikerbaboon
    Bikerbaboon Posts: 1,017
    Its great to see more sportes included, but i would rather watch DH mtb than bmx no matter how hot the riders are.......
    Nothing in life can not be improved with either monkeys, pirates or ninjas
  • drenkrom
    drenkrom Posts: 1,062
    Eurostar wrote:
    It seems they break more bones than all the other athletes combined.

I'd argue the DH crowd takes that honour.

I really liked the BMX races, but couldn't stop wondering why that made it to the Olympics. You take out the kilo for that? Clearly, one is more "Olympic" than the other.
  • method
    method Posts: 784
    I like it and with regards to the Kilo, would Hoy have won 3 golds if they had left it in?
  • richa
    richa Posts: 1,631
    Nope. Hoy would have got two. But Kenny & Edgar would have got the other two.
    Rich
  • Moomaloid
    Moomaloid Posts: 2,040
    Eurostar wrote:

Agreed. She's got something about her hasn't she :P . Watched something about her this morning on the tv and then saw her crash on her first run just as I was stepping out the door to go to work :shock: . Had to check what happened as my first job of the day! :lol:

Coz she looks filthy thats why! :lol: Although she'd crush most of us, you seen her thighs!

Have to say, i did think WTF when they announced it was being added, but i thought it was far more exciting than some of the sports we've seen, although it all seems pretty over once they've got round the first corner.

Question - Why is Squash not an olympic sport?
  • Moomaloid
    Moomaloid Posts: 2,040
    Eurostar wrote:

Coz she looks filthy thats why! :lol: Although she'd crush most of us, you seen her thighs!

Have to say, i did think WTF when they announced it was being added, but i thought it was far more exciting than some of the sports we've seen, although it all seems pretty over once they've got round the first corner.

Question - Why is Squash not an olympic sport?
  • deal
    deal Posts: 857
    spoke to a bmx rider about the bmx at the olympics and aparently the bmx community were pretty angry over the selection of Liam Phillips instead of Kelvin Batey.

Aparently the selection procedure was a joke with constantly moving goal posts, many beleiving it was linked to Phillips father who has some role in British Cycling.

Apparently both Liam Phillips and Kelvin Batey were supposed to be heading to the world champs but two weeks before British Cycling decided they wouldnt be sending Kelvin Batey.... the bmx community had a whip round and managed to get enough money to send him to the world champs, Kelvin ended up earning Britain a spot at the Olympics.

They failed to give Batey the olympics spot that he had earned, and as most people expected, instead they decided to create some kind of trial in switzerland, why they didnt run on the replica of the beijing track they built in manchester who knows. anyway in the trial there were cuts, bruises broken etc, and was abandoned without a winner, and Liam Phillips got the place. Also note there golden girl Reade didnt have to go through a similar procedure.

note: this is all the result of a conversation no idea if any of its true but sounds a bit shitty if true.

ps. i say dump a few of the swimming events and bring back the kilo
  • gkf9
    gkf9 Posts: 176
    Whens the BMX ing on again i missed it?
  • deal
    deal Posts: 857
    tomorrow morning I beleive - the semis and finals
  • leguape
    leguape Posts: 986
    2am til 4am or something. I was tempted to stay up for it but I'd be in all sorts in the morning.
  • I watched the various heats (Repeats, I believe).
    An exciting bit of entertainment, but it's up there with "4-Cross" & the equivalent snowboarding event, too much depends on getting around the first corner without being wiped out, for it to make Olympic status IMHO.
    Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.
  • synchronicity
    synchronicity Posts: 1,415
    Its great to see more sportes included, but i would rather watch DH mtb than bmx no matter how hot the riders are.......

Well I agree with that. But I still prefer the 1km for some reason...

Also agree that squash should be in there instead.
  • mr_hippo
    mr_hippo Posts: 1,051
    I agree with the OP - overgrown kids on undersized bikes.
    Bikerbaboon thinks 'Its great to see more sports included' and it is but there has to be consideration as what counts as 'sport'. Yesterday I watched 'synchronised bouncing & ass-kicking' (Taekwondo) - they should set it to music and feature it on 'Come Dancing'.
    Synchronised swimming and synchronised diving have a place in an aqua-circus and not the sporting arena.
    Sports should have a result based on time, distance, measurable points and not be subject to the opinion of a judge who may be biased! "I hate the French, Germans, [insert any other nationality] so I will mark them down!".
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    Eurostar wrote:

I'm glad I'm not alone. She's a big lass who could crush me between her thighs, but she certainly has something. I think it's all in the smile and eyes. (needs to lose the lip stud though)
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Eurostar
    Eurostar Posts: 1,806
    So what justifies the inclusion of a sport in the Olympics? Is the skill/strength quotient required by BMX similar to that required by the sprint?

I wouldn't watch it if Shanaze wasn't in it. And frankly I'd much rather watch her in the team sprint.
    <hr>
    <h6>What\'s the point of going out? We\'re just going to end up back here anyway</h6>
  • Blonde
    Blonde Posts: 3,188
    We watched the repeated highlights of teh heats too. We were shouting "Aaaargh" at the telly every time someone (especially Read) came down that start ramp! OMG! How the hell does anyone stay on the hike! Well ok, they don't always- we saw some of the pile ups too. At least they don't have so far to fall from those tiny bikes!
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    I watched a bit of it and found it a lot more interesting than track events.

But maybe that's because it's making me have flashbacks to the 80's and my dad taking me to a BMX track for a go.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    Maybe I'm wrong but when someone says BMX to me now I think of the X-games, Half pipes and street riding rather than racing

I'd say it would have been better to have put 4X in then BMX, or maybe DH over BMX in this day and age
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Bikerbaboon
    Bikerbaboon Posts: 1,017
    mr_hippo wrote:
    I agree with the OP - overgrown kids on undersized bikes.
    Bikerbaboon thinks 'Its great to see more sports included' and it is but there has to be consideration as what counts as 'sport'. Yesterday I watched 'synchronised bouncing & ass-kicking' (Taekwondo) - they should set it to music and feature it on 'Come Dancing'.
    Synchronised swimming and synchronised diving have a place in an aqua-circus and not the sporting arena.
    Sports should have a result based on time, distance, measurable points and not be subject to the opinion of a judge who may be biased! "I hate the French, Germans, [insert any other nationality] so I will mark them down!".

so thats all of the gymnastics, boxing, judo, out then but as bmx has a start and a finish its automaticaly a sport ?
    how about cheeze rolling? again it has a begining and an end with the competitors timed over the duration?

Getting olympic sport status is more about having a strong controlling body that can lobby well to get in to the games. rather than the mechanics of how the winner of the compertition is found.
    I think that watching world sports men/women compeating, having known that they have devoted themsleves to the sport for years to get to the standards that they get to is what the olympics is about. Now there are constraints to how many sports can compeat to be showcased in the olympics is limited both by the time aswell as the facilities that would be needed to be constructed to hold them.
    Nothing in life can not be improved with either monkeys, pirates or ninjas
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    don't forget the GoBO needs to have the money to bribe officials too...