Any XC riders in Barnstaple/North Devon area???

litwardle
litwardle Posts: 259
edited September 2008 in MTB rides
Ok so here we have another cliche poster looking for people to ride with.

I started off riding street trials in the Bath area with my mate Dave. Then up went the saddle and a love of XC (getting muddy) was born!. I moved back home to North Devon, built myself a pukka specialized hard-tail and it looks great leaning on the wall in my dining room! Non of my mates ride down here and I find riding on my own boring which means generally the nearest I get to enjoying a jaunt is reading MBUK & singletrack. (which incidentally I can now do in a cracking new pair of trek socks! cheers MBUK! :wink: )

So finally my pityful plea: Anyone that fancies meeting up for a ride every now and then get in touch! The more the merrier. Oh, yeah. I'm 26 year old engaged homeowner that fixes espresso machines for a living. quite normal.

Regards

Lee
litwardle@hotmail.com
07917 420873

Comments

• sam1234
    sam1234 Posts: 97
    Hi, I live in Bideford. Due to other comitments when I get out to ride can vary. However if you looking for someone to ride with. I would pop into Braunton and go and have chat with the guys in the bike shop (Southfork) there. They used do a ride out from the shop every Saturday morning. I'm not sure if they still do, however I'm sure they be able to put in contact with a few local riders. They also ride alot on Sundays up on the Quantocks or Exmoor and enter some of the local XC events.

As I've said when I get out to ride can vary so can't really commit to anything. However when I do get out I tend to head over to the Quantocks or Exmoor. There also some nice routes around Barnstaple, there are couple of good loops around Codden Hill. Again pop into Southfork they can point out routes to you.

Hope that is some help. If you want some more help feel free to PM me. I'll keep a look out for you when I do get out. I ride a Kona Hoss HT and a custom Kona Dawg FS.

Sam
  • litwardle
    Hey Sam,

I am fairly sure that we have spoken before? You're on my MSN list are you not? (u] [c=12]S[/c][c=4]a[/c][c=3]m[/c] [/u] ) Don't remember you having the konas though as I think you said you were mainly trials. I may, of course have completely the wrong person!

Yeah, the guys in Southfork are great, probably a little above my fitness and ability level though. I know coddon hill very well and there are some really cool looking parts to it. SOme serious uphil sections to. I have never ridden them as they look like they are mostly large gravel which is good but not all the time!!! I would love to do an exmoor jaunt sometime though. I drive so no worries there.

Lee
  • sam1234
    I'm not on MSN so must be getting me confused with someone else. Not sure when I'll be next up Exmoor, but might possibly be sometime soon probably on a Saturday as my riding mate is back from uni at the moment. However he works in the morning so we often don't get out to the afternoon.
    The is good section coming of the east of codden hill you don't have to go all the way up codden hill to get to it either. If you look on the OS it's the bridleway that comes off codden hill and down hangmans hill.
    The Southfork do have a good level of fitness as I know from when I used to ride on Saturday mornings with them, however it did get my fitness up. I also drive.
  • litwardle
    sam1234 wrote:
    I'm not on MSN so must be getting me confused with someone else. Not sure when I'll be next up Exmoor, but might possibly be sometime soon probably on a Saturday as my riding mate is back from uni at the moment. However he works in the morning so we often don't get out to the afternoon.
    The is good section coming of the east of codden hill you don't have to go all the way up codden hill to get to it either. If you look on the OS it's the bridleway that comes off codden hill and down hangmans hill.
    The Southfork do have a good level of fitness as I know from when I used to ride on Saturday mornings with them, however it did get my fitness up. I also drive.

Oh, ok so your not samharvey123@hotmail.com then.......You can see why I thought it was you ;)

I'llhave a look at the OS map for the trail's you mean around Codden Hill. I should really just go up there and explore with the bike! Is your cona a green one by any chance? I may have seen you in Bideford if it is. You tend to notice a nice bike as you don't see many around!!!

It's a shame not many people are replying to this post! There must be more than you and I in North Devon! It would be good to have a group of us, maybe a little jaunt to exmoor?

Hey, just a little question you may know the answer to (and sorry MOD for getting off topic momentarily).. I keep seeing top spec bike's in Barnstaple. The riders are in jeans and white trainers with no helmets on. Just seems odd. Crazy expensive Orange DH rigs, also a carbon GT Full susser the other day. Riders that have the skill to use one of these tend to wear a helmet. I can't imagine people would spend £2000+ to just "go down the shops"....... Any thoughts?
  • sam1234
    Yes my Kona Hoss is green however there is somone else who rides one in Bideford. Mine isn't standard as it has RS revalataion forks on it and Mavic Crossland wheels. So it might of been me you have seen. There are quite a few riders around a lot of them just don't use fourms such as this. As to your comment about 2k bikes there arn't many around Bideford. As one of the sales reps I met in Southfork once said 'some people have nice bikes as a fashion statement'.

Sam
  • litwardle
    'some people have nice bikes as a fashion statement'.

What a shame!

I wonder if we could organise an Exmoor day? Few hours on the moor followed by a pie & a pint?

Lee
  • litwardle
    Well, one reply anyway! A few people interested in the Exmoor trip. It would be a good idea to try and get a few of us together for a bit of riding - maybe a exploring type day for some good routes....

Lee
  • Burton
    Burton Posts: 172
    Hi Guys,
    I get back to devon quite a bit, live in Milton Keynes now and mailnly do road stuff but would be up for some MBK action when I'm back.

I live in Westward Ho! when I'm back that way.

Drop me a PM if you get any rides sorted and I'll see if I can get home.
    My bro lives there too and he may be up for a ride out.
    Both got spesh fsr's.

Cheers
  • JB222
    JB222 Posts: 1
    Hello guys,
    I live in Barnstaple & ride trials mainly but also XC/freeride as much as possible around the area. I've got a Kona Dawg Deluxe. Would be great to have somebody else to ride with as I quite regularly end up riding on my own. Did 15 miles after work last nite which was good, always more fun when there is a few of you riding though!

Also know my way around the Brendon Moors pritty well as I grew up there, some great trails out there.

Will drop you an email or text when i'm riding next, or give me a shout.
    07971 918752
    joebaker1@hotmail.co.uk

Cheers
    Joe
  • lewis1969
    lewis1969 Posts: 1
    litwardle
    ive been reading your post ,sorry mate but you sound a bit alan partbridge :lol:
  • Burton
    Burton Posts: 172
    Hi Guys,
    one of my workmates is coming to Ilfracombe in a few weeks. He's looking for a ride mate or perhaps some good routes.

If any of you can help drop me a reply on here.

Thanks

(Also going to send him to Southfork shop!
  • litwardle
    I gave up on this thread as knowone was replying so didn't come back and all of a sudden after a random (Oooh I wonder if I had any more replies) here you all are! Ideal! I send a few PM to yu guys so hope to hear from you.

Regards
    Lee
  • If you are organising a Exmoor day let me know, I'm in Torquay but don't mind a drive up to Exmoor for some different scenary.
  • litwardle
    Hey all,

I know it's short notice but a few of us are meeting up from another bike forum in Rock Park, Barnstaple at 5:45-6.00 tonight. The plan is to get uptp Coddon Hill and have a good search about.

Anyone fancying a ride feel free to get involved.

Regards

Lee
  • sam1234
    I'm afaraid it's bit short notice for me as I finish work at 5pm and I would struggle to get there on time. However it becomes a regular thing I will try and get across.
  • Well, I went on the ride. I got about two miles and nearly passed out. I was laying on the pavement for twenty minutes! Ihavn't riden for a year or so and just thought I'd be able to get back into it! WRONG!

I have started a training programme and getting on wel with it. Hopefully I'll be fit enough to go with the lads again in a couple of months!

Lee