Audax on a fixed

cycles goff
cycles goff Posts: 19
Does anyone ride audax events on fixed wheels? short of asking each organiser whether the route is reasonably suitable, is there any way of knowing whether a route in the AUK calendar is ok for fixeds? Is 200k on a fixed just plain daft?

cheers

Comments

• ColinJ
    ColinJ Posts: 2,218
    Does anyone ride audax events on fixed wheels? short of asking each organiser whether the route is reasonably suitable, is there any way of knowing whether a route in the AUK calendar is ok for fixeds? Is 200k on a fixed just plain daft?
    This guy has ridden Paris-Brest-Paris (1200 km) and London-Edinburgh-London (1400 km) on fixed :shock: !

As for whether it is daft or not... I wouldn't choose to do it, but if you want to - why not?
  • LeighB
    LeighB Posts: 326
    I've used my fixe for rides of 80-90 miles with no problems. I live in South Cumbria and ride my fixe into the Lake District and as long as I avoid the big climbs its fine. If you could find out the route details you could decide if fixed is suitable. There is nothing daft about using fixed for long distances; in the past fixed was prefered for its reliability.
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    is there any way of knowing whether a route in the AUK calendar is ok for fixeds?
    Think you'd be best check with the organisers on each ride - and even then it's down to their personal opinion I guess - the lack of AAA climbing points on the AUK website does not mean the route is flat!
  • BeaconRuth
    BeaconRuth Posts: 2,086
    They have awards for the riders who accumulate most Audax points riding fixed. IIRC it's called the 'Fixed Wheel Challenge' trophy or something. Look in the handbook!

Ruth
  • Greenbank
    Greenbank Posts: 731
    What rides are you thinking of?

In general it all depends on what you're used to.

There's pretty much no Audax (barring the insanely long and hilly permanents like the Maniac and Crackpot 1000s) that haven't been done on fixed.

When I first started doing Audaxes (two years ago) I struggled around a relatively flat ride in Essex/Cambs (1800m climbing on a 200km ride) even with plenty of gears. Last year I breezed around the same ride on fixed in about 10 hours. This year I did The Dean (3900m climbing in 300km) and Severn Across (4000m climbing in 400km) on fixed along with a relatively flat DIY 600km but I chickened and used gears for The Elenith (4727m climbing in 300km).

I've got 22 FWC points so far this year (i.e. 2200km of fixed audaxing) and another 800km planned (200, 300, 300).

Last year the FWC points champion did close to 40,000km of fixed Audaxes. Yes, that's forty thousand kilometers.

Next year I'm planning on, amongst some others, a fixed Elenith, Bryan Chapman 600, and London-Edinburgh-London 1400.

Anything under 2000m climbing in 200km is reasonable for a first fixed 200.
    --
    If I had a baby elephant signature, I\'d use that.
  • I did the Bryan Chapman 600 audax in May on a fixed with a clubmate also on fixed. Some of it was hard work in the mountain areas but generally no problems. Obviously, the legs don't get any respite on the long descents which I guess takes it toll after 620k. We would both have been quite a bit quicker on gears but had a good sense of achievement on completion.
  • thanks for your replies; I was thinking of trying a 200 somewhere close to London, suffolk, essex, cambs would be an obvious area to start. Hugely impressed by the distances in the last posts. About the 40,000k, I mean how do you fit that in? Live on your bike?
    The reason for choosing fixed is because I commute every day fixed, gears feel weird and,er, it has mudguards.
  • Greenbank
    Greenbank Posts: 731
    Definitely recommend the Henham/Ugley Audaxes. My first Audax (on gears) was the Golden Tints 200. The following year it was also my first fixed 200. 1800m of climbing in 200km, gently rolling terrain, no climbs too long or steep.

Out of the 200s in that area in the next few months:-

Aug 23: Mildenhall 200: Flat as twelve flat things. Not a fan of really flat rides but an easy first fixed 200 unless you get a magical constant headwind on the fens.
    Sep 06: Up The Downs 200 (Reading): quite lumpy, but a possible first fixed 200 if you're brave.
    Sep 13: Anfractuous 200 (Chalfont St Peter): reasonably lumpy, wouldn't recommend as a first fixed 200 (it goes up Streatley Hill!)
    Sep 20: Chelmer Coastal Caper (Chelmsford). No idea, but that area isn't that hilly. Might be worth asking the org.
    Sep 28: Autumn Assortment (Ruislip). No idea but smells like Chilterns :)
    Oct 05: Autumn Dungeewow (Hailsham). Dungeness is in the flatlands, which means you'll make up the 2000m climbing elsewhere. Probably not an ideal first fixed 200 although El Supremo events are very good.
    Oct 11: Goldent Tints (Henham): My recommendation (as above).
    Nov 08: Upper Thames (Reading). Another possibility. My second ever Audax and very enjoyable.
    --
    If I had a baby elephant signature, I\'d use that.