MTB - diet / nutrition advice - for a skinny one.....

pedal-pony
pedal-pony Posts: 33
edited August 2008 in Health, fitness & training
Hello Everyone,

I am very excited to begin MTB riding. I have always been interested in biking and ride everywhere (when/however) I can on my trusty old Raleigh Max (I have owned since I was 11yrs).

I am a fairly fit and active female in my early 20s, I ride horses and cycle 2-3 miles each day, but would like to increase my biking distances, gain fitness and build up my muscle. I have been fortunate enough to inherit a MTB and want to join a MTB society/club, going off road and trying extreme trails. I am pretty serious about starting MTB riding as a hobby.

Unfortunately I am very underweight- at 5.4'' tall I only weigh 6st. I have started lifting weights, whilst increasing my diet.... but I am worried I might lose more wight, the more I start biking and becomming increasingly active.

Is there anyone who might be able to offer a few tips/advice on a typical day-day diet and nutrition of a MTB rider?

I have been watching the Olympics and the athletes consume an amazing amount of calories... however, I think I really might benefit from an actual 'PLAN' or example of a weekly diet that will help put on weight / muscle mass, keep me fit and healthy and promote fitness and stamina for when I take up MTB riding more competitively.

Thanks in advance...

Pedal-pony......
keen to take on the adventure...

Comments

• Mrs Toast
    Mrs Toast Posts: 636
    If you're really serious, you might want to invest in a book like Mountain Bike Fitness Training.

Generally speaking, I know a lot of riders eat a lot of carbs, with pasta being a favourite, and take things like flapjacks and jellybabies out on the rides themselves to keep their energy up. I, on the other hand, collapse in the cafe with a bacon sandwich at the end of a ride!
  • Go electrolyte energy drink is good for when you're out riding - it'll give fuel you need for the ride. If you're doing an all day ride, make sure you eat at least what you would normally. The day before a ride, it's best to eat lots of carbs, like pasta etc. They reckon after a decent ride, eat stuff with protein in it as this helps recovery & buildng muscle, so the bacon sarnie idea isn't a bad one, seeing as protein energy bars taste hideous...
  • Amos
    Amos Posts: 438
    What sort of diet you eat at the moment?
  • "What sort of diet you eat at the moment?" - AMOS

My daily (typical) diet consists of:

BREAKFAST: 1 shredded wheat + half tin of fruit cocktail in juice + 2 cups of greentea

MID-SNACK: Handful of raisins or handful of grapes/tomatoes

LUNCH: Typically a ham sandwich, or jam on toast (2slices), sometimes tuna/pilcard toast or bananna and jam sandwich, or dairylee spread on toast. Sometimes followed by a muller light yogurt

SNACK: Muller light yogurt OR kellogs cereal milk bar

Apple to make me feel hungry before dinner...

DINNER: (usually) Turkey breast grilled with rice or potatoes and atleast 2-3 veg. OR baked potato with beans, tuna, salad. Sometimes pasta usually in a tomato based sauce or the occassional pizza.

DESSERT: chocolate bar OR slice of cake OR iced bun (all fairly small)

SUPPER: Nestle 'BUILD-UP' protein shake with hot chocolate and sometimes another cereal bar/rich tea biscuits.

followed by a glass of 200ml RICE-DREAM.
  • Amos wrote:
    What sort of diet you eat at the moment?

My daily (typical) diet consists of:

BREAKFAST: 1 shredded wheat + half tin of fruit cocktail in juice + 2 cups of greentea

MID-SNACK: Handful of raisins or handful of grapes/tomatoes

LUNCH: Typically a ham sandwich, or jam on toast (2slices), sometimes tuna/pilcard toast or bananna and jam sandwich, or dairylee spread on toast. Sometimes followed by a muller light yogurt

SNACK: Muller light yogurt OR kellogs cereal milk bar

Apple to make me feel hungry before dinner...

DINNER: (usually) Turkey breast grilled with rice or potatoes and atleast 2-3 veg. OR baked potato with beans, tuna, salad. Sometimes pasta usually in a tomato based sauce or the occassional pizza.

DESSERT: chocolate bar OR slice of cake OR iced bun (all fairly small)

SUPPER: Nestle 'BUILD-UP' protein shake with hot chocolate and sometimes another cereal bar/rich tea biscuits.

followed by a glass of 200ml RICE-DREAM.
  • Noel PT
    Noel PT Posts: 627
    Sounds like you take in plenty of calories, but you don't seem to eat much protein. You should defo look at increasing your protein intake. It doesn't need to be a large portion of protein, but it needs to be regular and quality protein.

A womans weight fluctuates massivly and is not a good indication of health. If you are worried my best suggestion would be to get your body fat percentage checked as this will not fluctuate and gives an accurate idea of your body composition.

A very good book that I can recommend is Nutrient Timing. Its on google books, fantastic read and will give you the exact directions of how to pick of lean muscle or maintain muscle in your case.

http://books.google.com/books?id=04GJNE ... 8Q#PPP1,M1

Dont let the cover put you off, its a not a body building book.
  • thanks for all the support and advice everyone... it is appreciated.

How about most other bikers? what does your daily meal plan look like?
  • Surf-Matt
    Surf-Matt Posts: 5,952
    Pedal - not sure if it helps but I put on over 3 stone of non fat weight in my early 20s (now 33) and have maintained it while reducing bodyfat even further - now about 11.5 stone and 5'8" with less than 10% bf. Although having said that, I'm obviously a bloke!

While many women would envy your position, being too skinny can be as bad as being overweight.

I think you'll need to hit the gym to add muscle - your diet looks fine to me (possibly moere protein but you are getting a fair bit - maybe add some beans into your diet - good low fat protein source) - unless you are sprint cycling, you are unlikely to build up much/any muscle from it.

Not an expert on women's routines but I used to teach kickboxing - many were women, and many really improved their strength through the training routines I dished out.