UK Olympic and sporting success - middle class?

wildmoustache
wildmoustache Posts: 4,010
edited August 2008 in Campaign
Cycling perhaps less so than other sports ... but is it my imagination or is this country now very short on sporting heroes from working class backgrounds. Still do well in boxing at some weights ... national football teams are now totally mediocre.

What do people think ... is there something going on here?

Comments

• richa
    richa Posts: 1,631
    Where are all these sporting heroes from a middle class background?

The class system in the UK has changed, more and more focus is being put on 'celebrity' and 'wealth'.
    Rich
  • wildmoustache
    wildmoustache Posts: 4,010
    RichA wrote:
    Where are all these sporting heroes from a middle class background?

The class system in the UK has changed, more and more focus is being put on 'celebrity' and 'wealth'.

What about every rower ... some of the cycllists ... tennis (what few we have) ... sailing ... etc.

sport as a way "out of the ghetto" has been mostly a fiction anyway.
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709

sport as a way "out of the ghetto" has been mostly a fiction anyway.
    I agree, i mean footballers like Wayne Rooney, David Beckham etc were all either born into fabulously wealthy families in Toxteth Leyton etc or still live in slums in places like Cheshire, Bishop's Avenue in London etc
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • APIII
    APIII Posts: 2,010
    I think there are just fewer people with a working class background isn't there? Less jobs in the traditional areas of manufacturing, engineering, etc. as everyone now seems to work in the service sector.
  • richa
    richa Posts: 1,631
    edited August 2008
    And athletes are now professional so are no longer working in the pits in the week competing at the weekends.

I don't know if Christine Ohuruogu/Steve Redgrave/Fearaint Thomas (for examples) are working class.
    Rich
  • is this country now very short on sporting heroes from working class backgrounds. ... is there something going on here?

Yes, it's called post-industrial society.
    "Consider the grebe..."
  • jerry3571
    jerry3571 Posts: 1,532
    I think there is still the majority of working people are working Class (most people in denial). The Middle Class (Headteachers, Doctors, Judges), the Upper Class, in the Media, has all but dissappered; never mentioned. They haven't really, they just don't like to be interviewed by the Media. The Upper Class is still here and they are still very rich.
    Cycling seems to be working class with a dash of a few of the Middle Class who splash out on the proverbeal £5000 Carbon Frame.
    I did laugh at the BBC as they said about the horsey Events in the Olympics being for the normal person as a German Dentist had won Gold. If you listen to the UK lot; well... they all seem to be a bit posh.
    Bless the UK and it's Class System. :roll:
    Cheers Jerry
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving”- Albert Einstein

"You can't ride the Tour de France on mineral water."
    -Jacques Anquetil