Sports Drinks - Loosing Weight

Andrew_J
Andrew_J Posts: 142
edited August 2008 in Road beginners
Hi All,
Just looking for a little advice on the above topic, I am new to road biking been a MTB rider for a while.
I am trying to loose some weight to make the uphill etc easier therefore what i am wondering is if i drink sports drinks during my rides am I slowing the rate which I will loses weight as I am burning the sports drinks rather than fat?
I understand i need to Hydrate so should i be drinking water rather than say SIS drinks?
I went out on Saturday and covered 31 miles in 2hrs and just took one bottle of SIS Go with me, I felt pretty pleased with that but was wondering should i be drinking water until i hit my target weight?

Question 2 if I should be using sports drinks is looking at the web site I should probably be using PSP22 rather than Go which is more aimed at summer riding? which we don’t seem to have one (summer).

Thanks for any advice.

Thanks for any advice.

Comments

• fuzzynavel
    fuzzynavel Posts: 718
    edited August 2008
    Andrew_J wrote:
    Hi All,
    Just looking for a little advice on the above topic, I am new to road biking been a MTB rider for a while.
    I am trying to loose some weight to make the uphill etc easier therefore what i am wondering is if i drink sports drinks during my rides am I slowing the rate which I will loses weight as I am burning the sports drinks rather than fat?
    I understand i need to Hydrate so should i be drinking water rather than say SIS drinks?
    I went out on Saturday and covered 31 miles in 2hrs and just took one bottle of SIS Go with me, I felt pretty pleased with that but was wondering should i be drinking water until i hit my target weight?

Question 2 if I should be using sports drinks is looking at the web site I should probably be using PSP22 rather than Go which is more aimed at summer riding? which we don’t seem to have one (summer).

Thanks for any advice.

Thanks for any advice.

From what I have read, it is essential that you keep glucose levels maintained while you ride to give your body a ready source of fuel. If your body has to resort to using stored fuels such as Fats and Proteins, then you will feel sluggish and it will be of no benefit to you.
    I only go on short 1-2 hour rides at the moment but I have lost over half a stone in the last 6 weeks through riding alone. I take on extra carbs before the ride...something tasty such as a mars bar and a banana. I drink only water or squash when I am on the bike...and when I get home I make sure that I have a couple of egg rolls and possibly pasta/potatoes to cover my protein and carb needs. It is important to take on carbs after the ride to stock up your supplies. The reason for this is that proteins( read muscles) are an easier source of energy than fat so you will not be helping yourself if you starve after a ride as you will end up with slower muscle regeneration/growth.
    I hope I have this right....am just learning myself!

Obviously if you go on longer rides then you will need to take some form of energy source with you but this works for me.
    17 Stone down to 12.5 now raring to get back on the bike!
  • Infamous
    Infamous Posts: 1,130
    I would say you don't need more than water on rides of less than 2 hours.

You only drink/eat on a ride to avoid the bonk.
  • richa
    richa Posts: 1,631
    To put it into perspective, 500ml of SIS Go is 144KCals, 2hrs of cycling is approx 1500 KCals.

So, no big deal, but, extra KCals consumed means that you will lose the weight slightly slower.
    Rich
  • Andrew_J
    Andrew_J Posts: 142
    Thanks, what the heck is "the bonk"
  • fuzzynavel
    Andrew_J wrote:
    Thanks, what the heck is "the bonk"

from what I understand it is like when you hit the wall in running and find it hard to push on. Your body basically runs out of readily useable fuel and you feel like crap while your body tries to access its stored energy.
  • I thought "the bonk" was when you try to stand up to go up a climb and your legs tell you that they can either stand up or turn the pedals over, but not both at the same time.

I thought I was going to hit the deck :oops: .
  • scapaslow
    scapaslow Posts: 305
    +1 for water only for 2 hours or under. If you sweat a lot use hydration tablets that dissolve in water like Nuun or Zym which don't have any carbs.

There's an article in this months C+ that points to research showing endurance benefits gained from doing some training in a low glycogen state.
  • fuzzynavel
    edited August 2008
    scapaslow wrote:
    +1 for water only for 2 hours or under. If you sweat a lot use hydration tablets that dissolve in water like Nuun or Zym which don't have any carbs.

There's an article in this months C+ that points to research showing endurance benefits gained from doing some training in a low glycogen state.

what I would like to know is, what actually happens in that low glycogen state....does your body start metabolising proteins or am I being over-dramatic with that point?

I found the following article from 2006

http://www.thirstyirishrunners.org/Arti ... u_bonk.htm

If you can keep your mind out of the gutter during initial mentions of bonking during training then it is a short but interesting read.
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    just from hand-waving experimentation i'd say it is unlikey to be metabolising muscles that are being used. Although I'd like a decent answer.
  • fuzzynavel
    just from hand-waving experimentation i'd say it is unlikey to be metabolising muscles that are being used. Although I'd like a decent answer.

Hand waving???? is that slang for masturbation?
  • ride_whenever
    no it really isn't, open plan office, I'm all for danger-w**ks but that is a step too far!
  • fuzzynavel
    no it really isn't, open plan office, I'm all for danger-w**ks but that is a step too far!

Sorry...that was a genuine question! :oops:
  • ride_whenever
    Sorry :)

It was based on a few years of doing and observing the effects of endurance training.
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    If you haven't already, I would read this article as it explained a lot of things for me;

http://www.cptips.com/nutrtn.htm

And the 'bonk' is where your body (or more specifically your muscles) has used up all of it's glycogen stores and you suddenly feel massively fatigued.
  • pmg001
    pmg001 Posts: 22
    here the amount of importance people place on sports drinks is way excessive!

unless you are training to an elite level, you don't need them! Especially if you are just commuting or training!
    a pinch of salt and some sugar in water or just ribena will be more than adequate to maintain your sugar levels!

and yes drinking them will stop you burning as much fat!
  • Mettan
    Mettan Posts: 2,103
    Andrew_J wrote:
    I went out on Saturday and covered 31 miles in 2hrs and just took one bottle of SIS Go with me, I felt pretty pleased with that but was wondering should i be drinking water until i hit my target weight?.

Another alternative - a dab of ordinary Orange squash - you can vary the amount/sweetness with water etc - nicer than water but not as full-on (or expensive as GO).
  • scapaslow
    scapaslow Posts: 305
    what I would like to know is, what actually happens in that low glycogen state....does your body start metabolising proteins or am I being over-dramatic with that point?

The article refers to glycogen having an effect in regulating metabolic signalling in the body. Llow glycogen levels apparently encourage the build up of mitocondria which create energy in the muscles. The more mitochondria you have the greater your endurance will become.

You are maybe confusing a LOW glycogen state with NIL glycogen which is when the bonk happens. Before the bonk though your body will burn fat and protein when your carbohydrate stores are finished.

You don't NEED sports drinks but whether you are elite or not if you cycle long/hard enough without replenishing your carb stores you will bonk. So you need to eat and drink on a long ride - what you eat /drink is personal preference. Some prefer "real" food, some sports drinks/gels etc.. and some a mixture of the two. I usually use apple juice, water and High 5 4:1 on a long ride with some dried fruit bars/fig rolls and keep a gel on hand just in case.
  • For me in my weight loss program i an starting to use more fasted rides. So i get up, wash, bottle of water on the bike, and ride, for 2 hours maximum. This means i am using my fat stores for energy, and i just drink the water to replace fluids.
    For my height/weight i am using 800 calories an hour. So its a simple balance now, less in the gob, more out on the bike.
    I have done a fasted ride for over three hours, but did use jellie babies for the last hour, but still only took water out.
    On my sportive rides i do use SIS electrolyte and carb drinks with gels and jellie babies.
    Just a fat bloke on a bike
  • Please forgive me if this sounds stupid (remember - it is the beginners section), but considering I am overweight and would like to lose some of the excess - wouldn't it be actually beneficial for me to get through 'the bonk' so I can start using up my fat reserves rather than the carb stores that are always present?
  • richa
    richa Posts: 1,631
    Please forgive me if this sounds stupid (remember - it is the beginners section), but considering I am overweight and would like to lose some of the excess - wouldn't it be actually beneficial for me to get through 'the bonk' so I can start using up my fat reserves rather than the carb stores that are always present?
    The bonk is intensity related. Better to avoid the bonk by lowering the intensity slightly and keep going...
    Rich
  • fuzzynavel
    Milton50 wrote:
    If you haven't already, I would read this article as it explained a lot of things for me;

http://www.cptips.com/nutrtn.htm

And the 'bonk' is where your body (or more specifically your muscles) has used up all of it's glycogen stores and you suddenly feel massively fatigued.

thanks for that link. i have been reading various parts of that site on and off at work all day....heavy going but interesting stuff.
  • I like the sound of going out for a ride and getting a good bonk :lol:

I haven't even bought my bike yet and this cycling lark is sounding like a lot of fun ;)
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    Please forgive me if this sounds stupid (remember - it is the beginners section), but considering I am overweight and would like to lose some of the excess - wouldn't it be actually beneficial for me to get through 'the bonk' so I can start using up my fat reserves rather than the carb stores that are always present?

You will use fat reserves just by cycling at lower intensities (say 60-70% of your maximum effort). As you put more effort into your ride your body starts to use less fat and rely more on carbs.

So if your main goal is to lose weight then you should try and ride slightly less hard for slightly longer. You don't need to go through the bonk to lose weight. :wink:
  • k-dog
    k-dog Posts: 1,652
    There is an element of saying that the drinks (and anything you eat on your ride) have calories in them - so you will lose weight.

Buuuuut, the harder you exercise the faster your metabolism gets - during the period of exercise and also for a period after - of about 45 mins or so.

So, if you have to eat and drink a little to get a decent workout you can actually burn more calories than if you don't eat and then exercise at a lower intensity (the period of your metabolism still going crazy is more than equal to the calories that you consumed) - plus it will be better for your fitness.
    I'm left handed, if that matters.
  • fuzzynavel
    I understand all this stuff about exercising at different intensities to use different types of fuels.
    for example high intensity uses stored Glycogen and leads quickly to bonking.
    Low intensity will use glycogen to start with but can also burn stored fats.

What happens if you have a massive session and stop when you bonk....what fuel will your body use for recovery (presuming evening workout) if you don't eat until the next morning (roughly 8 hours later)...will your muscles suffer or will stored fats still be used?
  • unclemalc
    unclemalc Posts: 563
    Milton50 - ta for that link... :D
    Spring!
    Singlespeeds in town rule.