Rubbish BBC Olympic Cycling Coverage

ForumNewbie
ForumNewbie Posts: 1,664
edited August 2008 in Campaign
The BBC have rightly being building up the Track Cycling all week, and Britain's hopes. So I was really looking forward to the highlights show at 7pm tonight having avoided seeing the results all day... only to find we get about 5 mins of cycling coverage at the start. It went straight from the men's team pursuit heat to the final without any build up or seeing how France got there. Then it just told us that Bradley Wiggins had got an Olympic record in his heat, just showing him finishing, leaving me really annoyed that we didn't see more of that. :(

I was also disappointed the other night in the road cycling when they completely ignored the men's time trial despite the fact that all the big names from the Tour de France were competing - just because there no real British interest.

Comments

• Equally well treated was the women's 10k race on the athletics track. They showed the last lap.

Race was won in the second fastest time ever run and Jo Pavey ran a PB, despite not threatening the medals.

Luckily, we were treated to several showings of Usain Bolt jogging his way through the 100m, and a series of bloopers from the games so far. Oh, and lots of chat from Gobby Logan...

There's a future for you in the fire escape trade...
  • peanut
    peanut Posts: 1,373
    did we really expect anything else ? :cry: tried to use the red interactive and just got Russian judo :twisted:
  • karl j
    karl j Posts: 517
    it's the schedules they put out that get me - last night they trailered todays cycling saying it'd start at 8.30 on BBC 1. So when i turned it on at 8.30 there's a choice of Rowing, Sailing that isn't happening cos there's no wind, or Boxing (nowt wrong with boxing mind, it's just not cycling) . Then after fiddling with the interactive channels, suddenly out of nowhere on came the cycling at 9.30.

they done the same with the boxing Tuesday, trailered on monday evening that it'd be on at 6.30 am so up i got at 6 ( :shock: ) , only for it to come on just after 12 :?

i guess someone needs a new watch for xmas
    Morning route (when i don't get the train)

Evening route ,
  • peanut
    peanut Posts: 1,373
    well we sure are getting some amazing results . Just seen Rebecca Romero go and she set an amazing time . If this olympics doesn't get butts on bikes in the UK this next year I'll eat my saddle :shock:
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Guarnateed gold & Silver in the womens pursuit :D:D
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • nwallace
    nwallace Posts: 1,465
    Showing the video of Bolts heat is justified, utterly unbelievable doesn't even look like he is trying, just a jog. Like Phelps I want to believe they are so god because they are freaks (look at the length of Bolts stride compared to others)

Had the telly on at half 8 and started watching the rowing, it's quite lucky for the BBC that 2 of the sports the British teams is good at are split in the timing of the finals, had they clashed what woudl get priority the cycling on the rowing?

With so many sports to show you can't expect the BBC to show French Champ Vs Swiss Champ in a pursuit heat when there is a British rowing team in their heat.
    Do Nellyphants count?

Commuter: FCN 9
    Cheapo Roadie: FCN 5
    Off Road: FCN 11

+1 when I don't get round to shaving for x days
  • fluff.
    fluff. Posts: 771
    What was Hugh Porter looking at during Steven Burke's bronze medal ride? Half the time he got confused who was leading, the other half he just completely made up the time differences!
  • karl j
    karl j Posts: 517
    fluff. wrote:
    What was Hugh Porter looking at during Steven Burke's bronze medal ride? Half the time he got confused who was leading, the other half he just completely made up the time differences!

yes i wondered that. He seemed to be lost in some sort of altered gravitational timewarp difference engine thingie between here and China. Or perhaps he needs a new watch too.
    Morning route (when i don't get the train)

Evening route ,
  • downfader
    downfader Posts: 3,686
    I watched some of the cycling live. The indoor stuff confuses the hell out of me, I must do some research on what is actually going on as work have been asking me about it, LOL!

Slightly OT - Have you noticed that most of the sprinters are afro-carribean and most of the cyclists are european-white...? Made me wonder if this is a cultural thing with each sport attracting a different section of society. Christ i hope this doesnt come out as if rascist, it was just an observation. :oops: :lol:
  • ColinJ
    ColinJ Posts: 2,218
    downfader wrote:
    Slightly OT - Have you noticed that most of the sprinters are afro-carribean and most of the cyclists are european-white...? Made me wonder if this is a cultural thing with each sport attracting a different section of society. Christ i hope this doesnt come out as if rascist, it was just an observation. :oops: :lol:
    There was a documentary on a week or so back where Colin Jackson examined that very question. It turned out to be more cultural than he'd thought, even though he was found to be genetically gifted (he didn't just have lots of 'fast twitch' muscle fibres, he had 'super-fast-twitch' fibres!).

How many white kids in the UK will be dreaming of become Olympic rowers or track cyclists after these games? How many kids in Africa will want to emulate their runners?

Also - cycling and rowing aren't really things you can do without fairly expensive equipment/facilities. You can run in your bare feet on a dirt track.
  • downfader
    downfader Posts: 3,686
    ColinJ wrote:
    downfader wrote:
    There was a documentary on a week or so back where Colin Jackson examined that very question. It turned out to be more cultural than he'd thought, even though he was found to be genetically gifted (he didn't just have lots of 'fast twitch' muscle fibres, he had 'super-fast-twitch' fibres!).

How many white kids in the UK will be dreaming of become Olympic rowers or track cyclists after these games? How many kids in Africa will want to emulate their runners?

Also - cycling and rowing aren't really things you can do without fairly expensive equipment/facilities. You can run in your bare feet on a dirt track.

I saw that program - perhaps it is what made me wonder yesterday. :)
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    The BBC have rightly being building up the Track Cycling all week, and Britain's hopes. So I was really looking forward to the highlights show at 7pm tonight having avoided seeing the results all day... only to find we get about 5 mins of cycling coverage at the start. It went straight from the men's team pursuit heat to the final without any build up or seeing how France got there. Then it just told us that Bradley Wiggins had got an Olympic record in his heat, just showing him finishing, leaving me really annoyed that we didn't see more of that. :(

I was also disappointed the other night in the road cycling when they completely ignored the men's time trial despite the fact that all the big names from the Tour de France were competing - just because there no real British interest.

The clue is in the name- its the BRITISH broadcasting corporation- not the French or othe countries broadcasting corporation. Hence why they show items related to Britain. They have shown hours and hours of live action.

In a highlights programme- there is limited time to show all the days events & comments etc. You are never going to see everything in a highlights programme -it is after all to show the HIGHLIGHTS
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • spen666
    spen666 wrote:

The clue is in the name- its the BRITISH broadcasting corporation- not the French or othe countries broadcasting corporation. Hence why they show items related to Britain. They have shown hours and hours of live action.

In a highlights programme- there is limited time to show all the days events & comments etc. You are never going to see everything in a highlights programme -it is after all to show the HIGHLIGHTS

I should have added that I've not watched the Olympics on TV this year- so can't comment first hand

Twittering @spen_666
  • I cut my Friday ride short so that I would get home to see the evenings highlights on the beeb. 10 seconds of Wiggins setting an Olympic Record, then 10 mins of Sotherton preparing to win nothing. Thanks for that Beeb.

Then again, thanks for Iplayer.
  • richa
    richa Posts: 1,631
    I cut my Friday ride short so that I would get home to see the evenings highlights on the beeb. 10 seconds of Wiggins setting an Olympic Record, then 10 mins of Sotherton preparing to win nothing. Thanks for that Beeb.
    Wiggins was in a heat. Southerton in a 'final'. We have to have a little perspective. Plenty of coverage of Wiggins/Burke run in the finals.
    Rich
  • RichA wrote:
    I cut my Friday ride short so that I would get home to see the evenings highlights on the beeb. 10 seconds of Wiggins setting an Olympic Record, then 10 mins of Sotherton preparing to win nothing. Thanks for that Beeb.
    Wiggins was in a heat. Southerton in a 'final'. We have to have a little perspective. Plenty of coverage of Wiggins/Burke run in the finals.

Yes, but I wanted to watch cycling :wink: . Have gone off Sotherton ever since I read the interview where she said she would give track cycling a go when she quits the Heptathlon. As if it was some easy fall back.

3 Seconds off the WR in the Team Persuit Final 8)
  • spen666
    ... Have gone off Sotherton ever since I read the interview where she said she would give track cycling a go when she quits the Heptathlon. As if it was some easy fall back.

How very enlightened and welcoming you sound.

I couldn't care if she thinks it may be easy or not- at least she is considering cycling. The more who cycle the better

Or do you want to vet people before you allow them on a bike?

Twittering @spen_666
  • spen666 wrote:
    ... Have gone off Sotherton ever since I read the interview where she said she would give track cycling a go when she quits the Heptathlon. As if it was some easy fall back.

How very enlightened and welcoming you sound.

I couldn't care if she thinks it may be easy or not- at least she is considering cycling. The more who cycle the better

Or do you want to vet people before you allow them on a bike?

Maybe that did make me sound a bit precious. She mentioned Romero coming over from rowing & made it sound as if she thought she would be a shoe in to the team after a quick spin on a bike. After all if she can, was the impression I got. Perhaps she will.

I understand that Romero is one of the hardest traniers & one of the most driven in the entire squad. Given the teams achievements recently that has to say something, I think Romero is a one off.

Never rowed a boat in my life but I think that the leg movements involved in cycling and rowing arent too disimilar? Apart from in cycling your legs are independent of each other and going round and round of course :oops: . But you know what I mean.
  • spen666

Never rowed a boat in my life but I think that the leg movements involved in cycling and rowing arent too disimilar? Apart from in cycling your legs are independent of each other and going round and round of course :oops: . But you know what I mean.
    I think you'll find if you are using clipless pedals that your legs most certainly are not independent - especially on a fixed gear track bike

Twittering @spen_666
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Rowing is mostly off the legs, so Rebecca was in a good position in terms of fitness and movement to make the switch. Many rowers use cycling as a second fitness sport anyway...aside getting around - Well they do at my rowing club anyway!

I saw Romero at a regatta this year - did not like her attitude very much: "Don't you know who I am?" type of girl. But fair play, the girl done good and it probably takes that kind of attitude to get to that level in 2 elite level sports.

I don't think I would want to race her on a bike or a single scull anyway!|!
  • beverick
    beverick Posts: 3,461
    I've been watching the BBC's internet streamed coverage for the last couple of weeks. The coverage of the cycling's been pretty good from what I've seen. Most of the events with British winners have been 'looped' under the red button so you can watch them over and over again.

I also caught R5L's coverage of the persuit finals on Saturday was good too.

I'm not sure what people want.

By the way, Alan Green's coverage of the men's coxless four final on R5L was awesome. I was stripping the road bike at the time. The wife (and I dare say the neighbours) thought I was mad when I threw the saddle, complete with attached stem, reflector and light into the air and did a lap of the garden as they nipped into the lead inside the last 100m.

Bob