Are there ANY routes for MTB in Sussex?

PaulTB
PaulTB Posts: 9
edited August 2008 in Routes
Hello everyone!
At first sorry for my english, which is very poor.
Before I came to live in UK I was riding a mountain bike, but since I'm here I bought a road bike. Now I'm considering building a mountain bike, but I'm not sure if there is any sense for this. I live in Crawley, and honestly I'm afraid, that there is no place, where I could ride on a mountain bike. I have never been going out from the roads (it would be hard on 23mm slick tyres), so this is why I'm asking you for an advice. Are there any places, where I could ride on MTB nearby Crawley? I don't have a car, so best would be if I could get there by bike, eventually with a short train trip (so that I can have at least one offroad training a week).

Thank you in advance. Regards.
Paul.

Comments

• mudslinger
    mudslinger Posts: 237
    Hi

There is plenty of offoad biking in Sussex! In the Crawley area you have Tilgate on your doorstep. And from Tilgate its not far to St Leonards Forest (east of Horsham).

To the north you have the North Downs so you could get the train to Redhill etc.

To the south you have the South Downs so you could get the train to Amberly, Brighton, Eastbourne etc. The South Downs is more XC than the North Downs.
    Winter commuter: Planet X London Road
    Winter road bike/commuter: Specialized Langster
    Best road bike: Planet X RTD90
    MTBs: Giant XTC 650B / On-One C456 singlespeed
    TT bike: Planet X Stealth
  • DudleyF
    DudleyF Posts: 9
    Yep - there's plenty of it around. I'll let you know when I'm getting a ride up together that's not too far from you.

In the meantime, how about Glentress, near Edinburgh? We're leaving on 6th Sept. for a few days, either camping or B&B. Still got 3 places in the bus.

See you soon!

Dudley.
  • Ahem - Brighton to Devil's Dyke Loop

Or, one of mine The Three Windmills from Hove Park

South Downs riding is really very easy, so if you're new to the riding it'll be a great introduction to the wonderful world of riding without big metal boxes to kill you.

If you'd like some guiding, drop me an email.
  • amt27
    amt27 Posts: 320
    The_Kraken wrote:

South Downs riding is really very easy, so if you're new to the riding it'll be a great introduction to the wonderful world of riding without big metal boxes to kill you.

until he tries to cross the road at pyecombe golf course