Holidays!

BlackSpur
BlackSpur Posts: 4,228
edited August 2008 in The Crudcatcher
Dad just booked us a week in Vassiliki in Greece, with bike hire, bike tours and windsurfing included! Where is everyone else going/where have you been?
"Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling." ~James E. Starrs

Comments

• Surf-Matt
    Surf-Matt Posts: 5,952
    Been to Lanzarote (in Feb) for surf and early sun and Llafranc, Spain (Med coast nr French border) in May.

Baby on the way in September so think that's it but life here in Cornwall closely resembles on long holiday so not too worried!

Not been to Greece but heard many good reports.
  • xtreem
    xtreem Posts: 2,965
    I've also never been to Greece even though it's 20miles away form where I live. :lol:
    But I can tell you that there are a lot of high mountains for bike riding compared to your place. :wink:
  • schmako
    schmako Posts: 1,982
    Been to Kos, Rhodes, Zante, Crete and the mainland. Greece is pretty awesome. We just booked up for Amsterdam for the usual carnage!
  • BlackSpur
    I'm pretty stoked, this is going to be the first holiday ever with any sort of biking. My mum and sister are blatantly not keen on the idea, but I'm really up for it. Anyone know what sort of temps you get around Greece at this time of year. I did look briefly on the net but got some wildly varying data!
  • not as exotic but i'm off for a weeks camping in scotland in glentress in 2 weeks time :lol:

taking the bikes of course!!

have fun in greece you lucky get :P
  • BlackSpur
    Will do :wink:
  • robmanic1
    robmanic1 Posts: 2,150
    Greece will be scorchio, make sure you do your riding early-doors or late afternoon, I reckon you'll fry otherwise. Fuerteventura for me next week, not much biking I reckon but plenty of watersports 8)
    Pictures are better than words because some words are big and hard to understand.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34335188@N07/3336802663/
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    i got married in greece, the island of santorini, absolutley gorgeous bit fo the world, lovely people, amazing sunshine, absolutely mega beer in frozen beer glasses and the food is unbelievable.
  • xtreem
    I don't know when are you going, but I can tell you that this week the temperatures
    will be 35-40°C max in Macedonia, so expect a little hotter in Greece because it's souther.

But don't worry if you are high in the mountains, it's cooler there (arround 30°C) and with lots of shade. But on the beaches on afternoon it's hot as hell.
  • Surf-Matt
    Surf-Matt Posts: 5,952
    Hey it's 18 degrees here and pi55ing it down. Isn't the UK brilliant?! :cry::cry:
  • BlackSpur
    Weather forecasts are predicting temps in the low 30s. Definitely not planning to ride in the heat of the day and I will look to windsurf in the mornings, ride in the later afternoon and relax in between!
  • BlackSpur
    Just tapped the resort into on google maps - looks like some pretty fantastic riding!

vassilikiog7.png
  • batch78
    batch78 Posts: 1,320
    Was in Crete about 4 weeks ago, 28-32c, talk of it getting hotter, should be great. I believe mainland Greece is hotter in general.
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 8,046
    Skiied in Italy in January, got a nice weekend of camping and 24hr enduro racing this weekend then its off to sunny Majorca on wednesday.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • BlackSpur
    Got back at 2 am... eurgh. The trails round those parts were amazing, lots and lots of loose rock though. The bikes were Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koos of varying ages with worn and skinny tyres which didn't help! I didn't attempt the 40 mile, 1500 metres and 5 hours of climbimg ride in midday heat, but I was up every morning for a shorter ride. Windsurfing was incredible too. I would definitely reccomend a Neilson holiday in Vassiliki!
  • Snowboarded in Austria for a week back in Febuary
    Two weeks with family and one week with mates in Devon
    Snowboarding holiday planned for December/January
    http://www.southwestbiking.tk/

Norco 125 Custom Build + 90's Peugeot Road Bike
  • xtreem
    I didn't attempt the 40 mile, 1500 metres and 5 hours of climbimg ride in midday heat
    If it has trees around the trail, and if it's higher than 2000m above sea level, it's not that hot even at 14:00.
  • BlackSpur
    I did consider it, but I was already conked out from a week of pretty much non stop exercise. One guy hospitalised himself with a leg injury on the ride.
  • xtreem
    Yes you are wright, at the end 40miles in one way is still a lot if not rested enough.