bike workshop

garethquinn
garethquinn Posts: 9
edited August 2008 in Road general
I am building a new house and as part of th design I want to include a bike workshop. I am looking for some ideas on how I should lay it out. What works from experience etc. I currently have 8 bikes so I will be including storage, an outside bike wash etc. The house is being built on a farm my father left me, so space isn't an issue.

I would love to get some comments from the forum.

thanks for your help,

Gareth

Comments

• Lysander
    Lysander Posts: 349
    Lucky you! I should get some bike hooks, store your bikes on the wall.
  • ris
    ris Posts: 392
    with no experience of designing workshops but a bit of experience of designing buildings i would suggest that some space for fixed benches (perhaps with vices on them), suitable storage units for parts and equipment.

if you are going to clean things down inside then a floor gully and washdown (bib) tap is a good idea. belfast or similar deep sinks, drainer space and pillar taps as well are always useful.
  • robbarker
    robbarker Posts: 1,367
    edited August 2008
    First rule is to keep your tools accessible, and have your bench, toolboard or box and workstand arranged so that you can stand in the same place and use all three. Heres mine:

workshop.jpg

I have the bikes (5 at present and counting) hung by their saddles from Park hooks screwed into the rafters, to the right out of shot. Outside the shop I have an outside tap with hose and reel always attached, and a trigger type thingy on the end of the hose, to make washing easy.

Bikes tend to get washed on the PRS-20 race stand, but I think I'll get a display type stand to make washing even easier.

I've found my parts washer and air compressor invaluable assets since I got them, so would recommend those. The thing I'm really missing at present is a bench grinder, so that will probably be aquired befroe too long.

And, of course, you need a good set of tools. If funds allow, get the Park professional tool kit - about a grand or so - gives you what you need to get up and running. The 4k one including all the machining tools would be better still, but there's not much justification in having things like headset reamer and facers in a home workshop.

The sound system and beer fridge are optional..
  • thanks for your suggestions. they are very helpful. I have an architect designing my new house which will have a separate barn. Giving him this information will be really helpful.

Gareth
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    Plenty of insulation to keep things warm in the winter, in addtition to the above, I'd say an ultrasonic cleaner is a good addition. Also an old washing machine would be ace for parts!
  • david 142
    david 142 Posts: 227
    The thing you need most in any workshop is good lighting, especially around the "operating table" Good electric light is ok and easy to arrange, but good daylight is worth designing in too.