Nappy rash cream instead of Assos Chamois Cream?

loz*
loz* Posts: 25
edited August 2008 in Road beginners
Hi, i've been using Assos Chamois Cream on my bibs - but have heard nappy rash stuff is just as good. Anyone try this?

Comments

• loz*
    ...just to be clear, i put the Assos Chamois Cream on my shorts on not on my skin (I read on another thread about using sudocrem on the sensative parts!)
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    I use sudocreme, mainly because it's a lot cheaper, and I don't really have chafing problems anyway.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • carl_p
    carl_p Posts: 989
    I use Sudocrem mainly because I read on these boards other people use it and we had some in the house. I still get bit of a sore bum though so I'm not sure the prevention aspects of it are as good as its cure and you may find you need to use it even after your rides. Sudo is also a bit messy and can leave embarrassing stains if you are not careful.

If Assos works for you then it might be best to stick with it. Maybe try some Sudocrem before your pot of Assos runs out?

I might invest in proper chamois cream at some stage. How long will a pot of Assos typically last?
    Specialized Venge S Works
    Cannondale Synapse
    Enigma Etape
    Genesis Flyer Single Speed

Turn the corner, rub my eyes and hope the world will last...
  • richa
    richa Posts: 1,631
    +1 for Sudocrem.
    Rich
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    Put it on your skin not your chamois and it ends up going further. I would say that Sudocream works OK, but the Assos stuff is a lot better.
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • sub55
    sub55 Posts: 1,025
    don`t believe all the hype you can ride long distances with out any creams at all
    constantly reavalueating the situation and altering the perceived parameters accordingly
  • loz*
    sub55 wrote:
    don`t believe all the hype you can ride long distances with out any creams at all

err, well actually i can't. I always used the assos cream but decided to try without - result was a very sore "contact point"!

I'll give some of the suggestions a try to see how they work out on shorter rides
  • NWLondoner
    NWLondoner Posts: 2,047
    sub55 wrote:

my betty swallocks after a ride say otherwise :shock:
  • Scrumple
    Scrumple Posts: 2,665
    So...
    When applying the assos gunk...
    Where exactly does one rub it (as a newbie about to have some delivered).

I'm being serious! Is it just the skin between the hole and the sack? There is just no easy way of saying this!

no one has answered how long a pot lasts, or how much should be applied?
  • beakyboy
    beakyboy Posts: 38
    edited August 2008
    Nappy rash cream called Bepantham. Works a treat and is cheap as chips!
    May the wind always be at your rear!
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    Scrumple wrote:
    So...

I'm being serious! Is it just the skin between the hole and the sack? There is just no easy way of saying this!

I put it along either side of the gootch and some on the part where my a*** becomes my legs. Basically, put it along anywhere you get discomfort, put enough on so that your skin is lubricated. I've had a pot which has lasted me a year, but I don't really use a lot of the stuff, just enough to prevent any sores.
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • beakyboy
    I put some on the bell end as well
  • loz*
    Scrumple wrote:
    So...

right, well i apply it to the pad and to the seams around the pad straight after they come out of the washing machine. I haven't applied it straight to skin before - i don't think i'd like how it feels! I spread it on fairly lightly and then rub it in, I've been using it about a year and am half way through my third tub.
    beakyboy wrote:
    Nappy rash cream called Bepantham. Works a treAt and is cheap as chips!

ahhh, but do you put it on the pads or on your skin? I don't want to bung a load of nappy cream on my pads if it's going to gunk them up!
  • beakyboy
    beakyboy wrote:
    Nappy rash cream called Bepantham. Works a treAt and is cheap as chips!

ahhh, but do you put it on the pads or on your skin? I don't want to bung a load of nappy cream on my pads if it's going to gunk them up![/quote]

Only on the skin and you don't need much.
  • System_1
    System_1 Posts: 513
    I've been using Sudocreme for about 6 months now and it seems to be working. Used to get a bit tender with the odd spot or two down there that would keep me off the bike for a few days. Personally, I put a wee bit on my skin and a bit on the pad. The pad on my shorts doesn't seem to absorb the cream much at all so it just sits on the surface and my skin absorbs it as needed. Never had any problems with embarassing stains.
  • Nuggs
    Nuggs Posts: 1,804
    I find the Assos cream much better than Sudocreme.

I find sudocreme does quite have the same lubricating qualities :shock: ...
  • zenzinnia
    zenzinnia Posts: 698
    Sudocreame helps stop infection of any sores that develop but Assos makes things slide about better as well and thereby reduces the development of sores inthe first place. It's meant to make your skin slide over either itself or the pad better (a bit like oil on the chain) so I put a load on the skin, particularly atthe crease at the top of the legs where the pad in y shorts bends round the saddle, and then a bit more on the pad too. After a particularly long ride I might use Sudo after a shower too. The most important thing though is to make sure you only wear clean shorts and to wash down their as soon as you've finished a ride as this will stop most infections - soap is a wonderful thing. I've read elsewhere that Sudo can 'soften' the skin so some don't use it.
    To err is human,
    but to really screw things up you need a shimano - campag mixed drivechain.
  • Campy King
    Campy King Posts: 201
    Savlon works well too..
  • bombdogs
    bombdogs Posts: 107
    I have used sudocreme for the last two years with great results - although, if you apply too much of it or don't rub it in properly, then you can have a slight white stain come through while you're cycling on the outside edges of the pads.
    Personally, if it's a choice between a tiny white stain that washes out no probs and a load of red saddle sores near my sensitive bits, then all hail the white stain.
    Honestly, i mean who is going to want to inspect you down there while your riding you bike? I only go out with other roadies and everyone knows why it's done.
    Never tried any of the expensive stuff but then I prefer to pay £2-3 for a tub that lasts me a couple of months than £10 for something that won't.
    I lob a load of sudocreme on before I go out or even when I am on the static trainer. At the end of the day, if it helps keep me on the bike and not off it then it's good enough in my book!!!!!!!
  • nickwill
    nickwill Posts: 2,735
    My understanding is that proper chamois creme protects and conditions the chamois as well as providing lubrication. Sudocreme doesn't do this. I'm sure I read somewhere that it can actually damage the chamois if used regularly. I only use chamois creme for long rides, but prefer to use the right stuff when I do use it.
  • Scrumple
    So if I ride to work in the morning, and return home later, I have to wear different shorts??
    That is 10 pairs a week if I don't wash every other day!!

Surely I can wear a set more than once before washing?
  • nickwill
    nickwill Posts: 2,735
    Scrumple wrote:
    So if I ride to work in the morning, and return home later, I have to wear different shorts??
    That is 10 pairs a week if I don't wash every other day!!

Surely I can wear a set more than once before washing?

No!
    I usually accumulate 2 sets of dirty kit and just shove them in the washing machine. It takes 5 minutes to do, and I never get saddle sores. If you have three sets of kit, it really is no hassle.
  • Scrumple
    so you wash each pair after one single use?
    I will have 3 pairs in all, which means washing every night?!

No way!
  • sub55
    hay boys i know this is the beginners section but i Really think you all need to take a long hard look at your riding position. you really should`nt need this stuff.
    personally ride between 200and 600 miles a week and have neither used or felt that i needed to use, any creams of any sort.
    constantly reavalueating the situation and altering the perceived parameters accordingly
  • Scrumple
    cos he has nads like old boots?
  • carl_p
    carl_p Posts: 989
    sub55 wrote:
    hay boys i know this is the beginners section but i Really think you all need to take a long hard look at your riding position. you really should`nt need this stuff.
    personally ride between 200and 600 miles a week and have neither used or felt that i needed to use, any creams of any sort.

Just finished scraping Sudocrem off my beginners section. :shock:

For the benefit of us newbies what is the correct riding position? Are we talking about the position of ones bum on the saddle, or sliding the seat forward or backwards? I've positioned my saddle so that when crank is facing forwards my knee is directly over the pedal.
    Specialized Venge S Works
    Cannondale Synapse
    Enigma Etape
    Genesis Flyer Single Speed

Turn the corner, rub my eyes and hope the world will last...
  • sub55
    [img][/img]guesswho001.jpg :evil: :evil:
  • W5454
    W5454 Posts: 133
    Chamois cream!
    Nappy rash cream!
    Sudocreme!
    What a bunch of wussies.Just get yourself a good saddle and good shorts.
  • zenzinnia
    zenzinnia Posts: 698
    Different people react in different ways to riding. Fair skin is more suseptable to infection, those prone to acne will also have prolems etc. Some people are lucky and never experience any problems and don't know what all the fuss is about while others are forced off the bike for ever. If you start having problems don't let them get worse just because of some macho idea. If a little cream helps then use it. That's not to say that other things shouldn't also be tried. A good pair of shorts, a good saddle, a good riding possition will all have positive effects. But take a hint from the British Olympic cycling team - the accumulation of small gains (or what ever their phrase is). If each of those things helps a bit then doing them all will help more.
    To err is human,
    but to really screw things up you need a shimano - campag mixed drivechain.
  • unclemalc
    unclemalc Posts: 563
    :lol: Lard?
    Spring!
    Singlespeeds in town rule.