Salute Team GB - here!

NervexProf
NervexProf Posts: 4,202
edited August 2008 in Track
What a day, what a morning!
Such an impressive result, via, Chris Hoy, Edgar, Bradley Wiggins, Steve Burke, Chris Newton - and notably Wendy and Rebecca who will dispute the Gold and Silver in the Women's Individual pursuit tomorrow.

I would like to commend the 'back room' team of GB Cycling Team..and it's not over yet with the Team pursuit and the madison yet to come.

Do post your appreciation and thoughts in this thread for I am sure that over the next few days the GB Cycling Team will read it here!

P.S. The field and track athletics team have a lot of catching up to do! (non-partisan of course!)
Common sense in an uncommon degree is what the world calls wisdom

Comments

• Eddy S
    Eddy S Posts: 1,013
    NervexProf wrote:
    Craig MacLean
    I think you mean Ross Edgar :?:

But still, what a great 2nd day and 3 more to go!
    I’m a sprinter – I warmed up yesterday.
  • NervexProf
    NervexProf Posts: 4,202
    Eddy S wrote:
    NervexProf wrote:
    Craig MacLean

Eddy, Sorry, indeed I did mean Ross Edgar...he was superb in getting through to the final and played a huge part in protecting Chris Hoy over the final laps.
    Common sense in an uncommon degree is what the world calls wisdom
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    NervexProf wrote:
    Eddy S wrote:
    NervexProf wrote:
    Craig MacLean

Eddy, Sorry, indeed I did mean Ross Edgar...he was superb in getting through to the final and played a huge part in protecting Chris Hoy over the final laps.

? Ross was in 3rd place in final run in. The Japaneese guy came over the top of Hoy which could have made it difficult but some of the others hesitated and if some had also came over could have been difficult.
    Hoy got out, went through and picked up the pace, Ross was not on the fron then so not sure why you think he helped Hoy. Ross did do well to come over Kelly at the end for silver as it looked like Kelly was going to get silver.
    Impressed with Kenny and Burke as they are the "new" boys especially Burke not knowing he was riding until Thursday and then beating pb by 10 seconds? Thats impressive.
  • I agree Dai. so far Burke is the rider of the tournament so far for me in terms of stepping up to the challenge. Have to say though all of them are absolutely on fire...its awesome!

To ne honest there is no reason why we cannot consistently dominate rowing and be stronger in swimming and track & field in the future if the same level of detailed preparation and management is applied. That is one hell of a prospect.
  • BeaconRuth
    BeaconRuth Posts: 2,086
    NervexProf wrote:
    I would like to commend the 'back room' team of GB Cycling Team..and it's not over yet with the Team pursuit and the madison yet to come.
    Ahem. And the men's and women's sprint. :D

Ruth
  • oldwelshman
    Its important they fulfill their potential to ensure continued financial support.
    It is also important to do well to entice more youngsters into the sport.
    All counties have more or less the same potential as each other with respect to potential sportsmen/women. It's just a matter of getting them off their arses and interested in sport , and cycling in particular as there are lots of sports to choose from and it does not take a rocket scientist to work out that youngsters are more infuenced by successful athletes.
    UK currently have the talent, infrastructure and funding and it now shows and we are looking stronger for the future also looking at the development squads. Also the track feed through very good road riders so that will also benefit later on.
    I hope to get to watch some of the juniors in Newport next week :D
  • This performnace so far is simply awesome isn't it:

Out of the 24 medals won so far, 10 are cycling. Of the 11 golds, 5 are from cycling, with probably more to come:

Mens sprint
    Team pursuit
    Womens sprint
    Madison
    BMX

where else are they as likely? Ohrougu, Philips Idowu? so approximately half of the gold if not all medals haul is likely to come from cycling alone.
  • oldwelshman
    This performnace so far is simply awesome isn't it:

Out of the 24 medals won so far, 10 are cycling. Of the 11 golds, 5 are from cycling, with probably more to come:

Mens sprint
    Team pursuit
    Womens sprint
    Madison
    BMX

where else are they as likely? Ohrougu, Philips Idowu? so approximately half of the gold if not all medals haul is likely to come from cycling alone.
    I can see 4 out of 5, the maddison is less predictable and Cav and Wiggins will be heavily marked !!
  • unclemalc
    unclemalc Posts: 563
    unclemalc wrote:
    Paraphrasing Bradley Wiggins:
    "...That's 11 seconds faster than the time we put up in Athens...!"

I'm glad I saw that performance. :D
    No arguments about merits of one discipline over another - those track cyclists are the business and I am proud to be able to see them do it, every time they go round and round.
    Brilliant!! :D:D
    Spring!
    Singlespeeds in town rule.
  • Tim Farr
    Tim Farr Posts: 665
    Nowadays do you get combines in the Olympic and World points race and madison? Or has the power and influence of the six day racers declined? Certainly it used to be a feature in the days when Urs Freuler was a top rider.
    T Farr
  • mavesyn
    mavesyn Posts: 23
    A truly wonderful performance, by all the riders and the back room staff of cycling GB.
    It provides great inspiration, to us all. Young and old.
    As a tribute, lets all, get out our bikes and ride.............
  • Bloody amazing bunch of riders and coaches
    http://www.southwestbiking.tk/

Norco 125 Custom Build + 90's Peugeot Road Bike