How close in spec is Focus Cayo to Trk Modane 5.2?

jellikins
jellikins Posts: 153
edited August 2008 in Road beginners
I know the Cayo is like £1300 less than the Trek, but having read lots of review for the Cayo saying that it has a spec like a £2000 bike, how close to the truth is this please.

I ask because whilst I could spend 2k, if I can get a similar spec for a Raid Pyranees ride for 1K less, I will!

The advice and opinions of the two compared would be appreciated please by those who have experience of the specs of the two.

1. Cayo

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/Cycle/7/Focus_Cayo_Triple_2008/5360035523/#spec

2. Trek Modane 5.2

http://www.velosportonline.com/products.php?plid=m1b0s6p2140

Comments

• DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    jellikins wrote:
    I know the Cayo is like £1300 less than the Trek, but having read lots of review for the Cayo saying that it has a spec like a £2000 bike, how close to the truth is this please.

I ask because whilst I could spend 2k, if I can get a similar spec for a Raid Pyranees ride for 1K less, I will!

The advice and opinions of the two compared would be appreciated please by those who have experience of the specs of the two.

1. Cayo

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/Cycle/7/Focus_Cayo_Triple_2008/5360035523/#spec

2. Trek Modane 5.2

http://www.velosportonline.com/products.php?plid=m1b0s6p2140

It would seem the Focus would offer better value for money, but I suspect the little things like the seat post, handle bars, stem and steerer would need upgrading... IMO.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    The component specs are very similar. I think the Treks wheels are a bit better. The major difference is the quality of the frame. The Focus while a good frame is built to a price while the Trek is built to a performance standard and price. I have a 2008 Madone 5.2 and think it is superb. Very stiff but not at all harsh. I have only spoken to a couple of Focus owners. They have said that the ride is a bit harsh and one said he got front wheel 'shimmy' at times. This may have been due to how he had it set up.
    With carbon as with most things you get what you pay for.
    Ducks below battlements.
  • richa
    richa Posts: 1,631
    John.T wrote:
    With carbon as with most things you get what you pay for.
    Like high quality, highly expensive, marketing...
    :lol:
    Rich
  • richa
    richa Posts: 1,631
    Back to the topic.

If you are after a bike to do the Raid Pyranees then they will both be more than adequate, in fact they will both do a very good job.

The Trek may well be a (slightly) smoother, more comfortable ride. Biut then the Focus is cheaper.

For me, I think the decision comes down to (i) how affordable the extra £1,300 is, and (ii) how much cycling you expect to do after the Raid.

I had a similar decision to make a couple of years ago fior the L'Etape. An Aluminium Allez (£700), or a Carbon Roubaix (£1200). I decided on the cheaper Allez. And it was absolutely fine for the Etape. But, I now wish I had the Roubaix, because after the Etape I have continued to do lots of cycling I would rather have the carbon bike.
    Rich
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    You're being cynical Rich. To some extent you are right but you should also add R & D to the list. My Madone replaced a 2000 Trek 5200 frame. There is a big difference. I suspect the Focus would be similar to this frame in performance.It has done 2 Raids and 3 Etapes and I am still using it if the weather is not so good. I am not selling it as it is worth much more to me as a second bike. Just getting it re-painted in fact.
    Regarding the OP, Rich's last paragraph is quite right. Both will do the job fine but which one do you want to be riding in a year or so and how much cash are you wanting to spend. Your choice.