Complete newbie. Help needed

CjbScotland
CjbScotland Posts: 28
edited August 2008 in MTB beginners
Hey i am new to this whole MTB scene and have not had a bike since i was in my younger years. So, with your help i would like some help with knowing which bike is better than an other. I have looked at the "Which bike" topic?" and noticed the Carrera Vulcan has good reviews. What i would like to know is. Is this a good beginners bike or is there a better one. I plan on spending about £400. Also i would find it very useful if someone could point me to some decent Biking stores in the Glasgow area. All help is very much appreciated.

Cheers CjbScotland

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    400 will get you more bike than the Vulcan, such as the Carrera Kraken: but do budget for helmet and accessories.

Best thing to do would be to try a few out, paying attention to comfort and fit. £400 has become the new performance price point, with bikes getting good forks and hydraulic disk brakes.
  • Ahh i suppose. Thanks for the advice. I suppose that means i have about £300 - £350 to spend, so do you have any decent reccomendations. I am going to go check out some bike shops in Glasgow next week once my foot gets better ( i dropped a weight on it and nearly broke it haha )
  • Have a look at the Specialized Hardrock as well. At £350 it's one of the best bargin buys, with a fantastic frame. Hope the foot gets better.
    jedster wrote:
    Just off to contemplate my own mortality and inevitable descent into decrepedness.
    FCN 3 or 4 on road depending on clothing
    FCN 8 off road because I'm too old to go racing around.
  • Thanks for that i think i am gonna go check out some Hardrocks and a GT Avalanche 3.0/ a 2.0. Also are there any good places to ride in and around Glasgow? And does anyone know of any reputable biking shops in and about Glasgow?

Cheers Cjb Scotland
  • Rich Hcp
    Rich Hcp Posts: 1,355
    You have to see how you get on with your local shops (LBS for short)

We have two where I live, one, well, he's a t*sser and can't set a bike up. But he is the centre of town.

The other is a great guy, good mechanic, but out of town a bit, guess where we all go...

If they are too pushy, then walk away.

If they talk to you help you decide then you need to go away and think about it.

The good shops know that a bike purchse is not the work of a moment. These are the shopw you should use.
    Richard

Giving it Large