Attaching a fixed/track cog and lockring to a Giant Bowery

blorg
blorg Posts: 1,169
edited August 2008 in Road general
OK, so I got one of these this morning and have it pretty much all assembled but the fixed cog did not come attached as I expected.

th_giant_bowery.jpg th_giant_bowery_assembled.jpg

I have three bits, a screw-on cog, a lockring and a rubber ring that seems to fit perfectly into the lockring (this rubber ring came in a seperate bag with some other screws and stuff so it may be unrelated.)

th_cog_lockring_rubber.jpg

How do I attach this- what sort of tool do I need? Preferably from CRC or Wiggle, or if it is likely to be found in my LBS. Is it a standard freewheel lockring tool or are the fixed ones different?

Comments

• peejay78
    peejay78 Posts: 3,378
    take the sprocket, screw it on by hand onto the hub, ti will only go one way. do it up as tight as possible. i wrap a tea towel round my hand for extra grip.

take lockring, screw it onto the hub in the OPPOSITE direction, until it comes against the sprocket. You will need a lockring tool. i recommend hozan. http://www.hubjub.co.uk/etc/hozanzm.htm useful because one thing you will do is be changing sprockets in the future. use this to get it nice and tight.

take the bike out for a spin, ride up a big big hill. the cog will 'slip' forward in a short, sudden movement. don't be alarmed, it's just getting tight. go home, take off wheel, tighten up lockring again, job done.
  • Littigator
    Littigator Posts: 1,262
    What a timely post, I'll be getting my Bowery on Wednesday so would have had the same problem.

Ta

L
    Roadie FCN: 3

Fixed FCN: 6
  • blorg
    @peejay78- thanks for that. So I am right that the rubber ring is un-needed/unrelated? I just need the sprocket and the lockring? Is white lithium grease OK for the threads?

Any cheaper options on the lockring tool :D
  • peejay78
    almost certainly cheaper tools around, but not sure where. also bear in mind that lockrings can take some getting off, and thus a better one is a good bet. you could google it or try ebay. i have a hozan, it's great.

the rubber ring is a free gift i think, although someone may tell you otherwise. i've never used a rubber ring whilst changing sprockets.

bear in mind - when riding the sprocket in, (up a hill, or accelerating away from the lights) it will slip, when it does, it's then settled, you can ride home, but try not to exert any backwards pressure, use the brakes, otherwise it may slip back again.

i tighten the lockring up without taking the wheel off, you can get enough purchase.
  • fluff.
    fluff. Posts: 771
    The Hozan pliers worth the extra ££ over the standard tool by the way? Found them for about 32 inc postage but not sure I can justify it. Looks like (from assorted googling) the slightly cheaper Park Tool version is not the way to go anyway.
  • Lockring tool? You mean a hammer and a big screwdriver :roll: ?
  • peejay78 wrote:
    take the sprocket, screw it on by hand onto the hub, it will only go one way.
    Are you sure? Maybe it's a different setup but my fixed sprockets will go on either way round. One side of the sprocket is flat and the other has a shoulder and it should be screwed on shoulder first with the flat side out and then the lockring screwed up against the flat side.
  • peejay78
    yes, hammer and big screwdriver if you want. then try and take it off again.

with regard to 'only one way', i meant the threads. but yes, shoulder against hub, lockring on flat side.

thanks for clarification.
  • peejay78 wrote:
    yes, hammer and big screwdriver if you want. then try and take it off again.
    My comment was slightly tongue in cheek. I have resorted to hammer and screwdriver in the past but now use a Shimano combined chain whip and lockring tool http://www.bikemagic.com/review/reviewp ... gn/13/v/1/ .
  • blorg
    Thanks for the tips guys. Borrowed a Dura-Ace lockring tool/chain whip (looks like that linked tool) which got it on no problem. I tightened the cog well with the chain whip and so it didn't slip or need re-tightening after the big hill (I gave it a 20% gradient to be sure :D)

Very happy indeed with the bike as I posted on another thread.

The rubber ring turned out to be a rain guard for the seatpost shim.