Theo Bos crash

Odelay!
Odelay! Posts: 58
edited August 2008 in Track
Can anyone explain why Bos didn't restart the Kerin? I am watching without commentary... was he disqualified? It looked like he was entirely blameless for the crash.

Comments

• Eddy S
    Eddy S Posts: 1,013
    My theory - Theo is saving himself for the Sprint competition. Why risk riding a minor final? Theo just doesn't do minor finals.

He did the same thing in Manchester. He already paid the penalty of causing the crash by not being allowed to re-start in the 2nd round.
    I’m a sprinter – I warmed up yesterday.
  • Odelay!
    Cheers,

Seems a bit unfair he was blamed for the crash in the first place and couldn't join the second round restart.
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    Eddy S wrote:
    My theory - Theo is saving himself for the Sprint competition. Why risk riding a minor final? Theo just doesn't do minor finals.

He did the same thing in Manchester. He already paid the penalty of causing the crash by not being allowed to re-start in the 2nd round.
    Monor final? Wasn't it the repechage meaning if he was first he was in the final?
    Or are you just saying keirin is monor compared to the sprint? :D
    I don't think Bos has the power or speed currently to beat Hoy though he is a more astute sprinter and may catch him out as he did in worlds in one of the sprints.
    Hoy is flying though and been below 10 for 200m recently.
  • Eddy S
    Eddy S wrote:

Monor final? Wasn't it the repechage meaning if he was first he was in the final?
    Theo crashed out of the 2nd heat in the 2nd round. Thwere was no 2nd round rep. The results of the 2nd round qualified the riders for either the Olympic final or the minor (places 7-12) final. Theo's DNS in the 2nd round put him through to the minor final.
    All jesting aside, no way do I consider Keirin the poor relation. I love watching it and love riding it even more. It's just a very unpredictable event unless you're Chris Hoy! :D 8)
  • oldwelshman
    Eddy S wrote:
    Eddy S wrote:

Theo crashed out of the 2nd heat in the 2nd round. Thwere was no 2nd round rep. The results of the 2nd round qualified the riders for either the Olympic final or the minor (places 7-12) final. Theo's DNS in the 2nd round put him through to the minor final.
    All jesting aside, no way do I consider Keirin the poor relation. I love watching it and love riding it even more. It's just a very unpredictable event unless you're Chris Hoy! :D 8)

Ah, I stand corrected, I have a short memory :D I remember know it was 2nd round as I remember Hugh Porter saying Edgar only needed to beat one rider to qualify.
  • oldwelshman
    I also thought that the rules are they were not allowed to re ride anyway and the race was only stopped to fix the track after the crash?
  • Odelay!

Could he not have restarted the 2nd heat of the 2nd round, which was run with 4 riders? (I might be missing something - the coverage was not great) I'm sure the Dutch coaches were remonstrating with the officials about something...
  • Odelay!
    I also thought that the rules are they were not allowed to re ride anyway and the race was only stopped to fix the track after the crash?

Ah, that would explain that then.
    cheers
  • oldwelshman
    Odelay! wrote:

Could he not have restarted the 2nd heat of the 2nd round, which was run with 4 riders? (I might be missing something - the coverage was not great) I'm sure the Dutch coaches were remonstrating with the officials about something...
    As far as I know ( Eddy can probably explain better) the race is only re run and riders allowed to re race if there is a crash in the final sprint.
    Bos crashed when the rider in fron clipped a wheel and fell off, but that is his fault for being at the back. The race carried on but the track was damaged and could have been dangerous for the final sprint as one of the riders could have punctured where the damage was so they stopped race to put gaffer tape on the goughe, then re started with the 4 riders left in. Bos did look as if he was going to try to get back in but realised he could not.
    As Eddy said, no point in him starting the minor final.
  • Eddy S
    To start with there was no cause to stop the race. The two fallen riders were off the track (as Hugh Porter observed) but TB had pulled himself back up towards the track in an attempt to stop the race and I guess in an attempt to get a re-run.

The regs for keirin are that the race will be stopped and re-run without any riders deemed to have been at fault – the commissaries obviously felt that there was something wrong/unsporting in TB’s action.

If there are incidents after the bell, you start getting in to relegations and DQs rather then re-runs.

(I'm sure a commissaire will be along in a minute to put us all straight! :lol: )
  • BeaconRuth
    BeaconRuth Posts: 2,086
    Eddy S wrote:
    The regs for keirin are that the race will be stopped and re-run without any riders deemed to have been at fault – the commissaries obviously felt that there was something wrong/unsporting in TB’s action.
    Are you sure about that? Hugh Porter relayed what Gary Sutton was telling him, that the fallen riders are not allowed to start the re-run. If you fall it's your own fault and you're out, even if it wasn't your fault. You shouldn't have been at the back. What they did report, though, was that they could have remounted and chased after the derny and continued in that race.
    (I'm sure a commissaire will be along in a minute to put us all straight! :lol: )
    You'll be lucky. I don't think there's the same level of expertise around here as there is on Veloriders. Wouldn't mind being proved wrong though.

Ruth
  • Eddy S
    BeaconRuth wrote:
    Are you sure about that? Hugh Porter relayed what Gary Sutton was telling him, that the fallen riders are not allowed to start the re-run. If you fall it's your own fault and you're out, even if it wasn't your fault. You shouldn't have been at the back. What they did report, though, was that they could have remounted and chased after the derny and continued in that race.
    I did check the UCI regs before posting my reply to check my understanding and make sure I wasn't going to post a load of rubbish.

We didn't get to see everything surrounding the incident so the comms must have seen something we didn't which hasn't been reported yet. I have a recording of the incident but haven't had a chance to re-watch it yet.
  • BeaconRuth
    BeaconRuth Posts: 2,086
    I'll bow to the UCI rulebook, Eddy. Sorry for doubting you. I guess there's no reason to assume that the commentators are always going to be 100% right. (It must be quite a thick rule book to cover all eventualities!)

Ruth
  • Faxe
    Faxe Posts: 4
    According to the Dutch television he wasn't allowed to restart because more than 1,5 rounds were riden already by the time he fall.
  • oldwelshman
    After all the criticism of Porter commentating, I noticed HArmon actually claimed this morning that it was the other Dutch rider who had crashed !!! I like Harmon and Porter, just evening things up a bit :D