Specialized Rockhopper..Which chain???

bigdavep
bigdavep Posts: 64
edited August 2008 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi

Managed to wreck my chain this weekend so I checked on Specialized website to find out which one I need...

According to the website the chain that is on is a KMC X9, 1/2" x 3/32"..........but when I look on wiggle or crc all the 9 speed chains are ½" x 11/128" ... the only ones that are the size the speccy website says are all 8 speed....

Is this a misprint or for some reason do I need an 8 speed chain for my 9 speed rockhopper...

Thanks

Dave.

Comments

• xcracer
    xcracer Posts: 298
    I run a KMC X9 (1/2" × 11/128") on my RH.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Depends how the chain is measured, and even 9speed ones vary fractionally from manufacturerers.

I'd go for a SRAM chain, such as a PC971. It will work fine with the standard hopper parts, and all 9 speed kit.

Check the rest of the drivetrain is not damaged.
  • bigdavep
    Cheers for the fast replies... I'll take a look at that sram chain supersonic...
  • bigdavep
    One more question..Do I need any special tools for the sram chain or is that powerlink thingy easy to do..
  • supersonic
    Its easy, bit you need to cut down the chain to the same length as the old one (or remeasure). That requires a chain rivet extractor.
  • bigdavep
    And theres me stupidly assuming the chain would be the correct length...Resizing and joining chains together sounds like something I could make a real pigs ear of..Can see me ending up with 2 duff chains.....

Reckon I let the shop do it.....

Cheers

Dave
  • supersonic
    There is a good guide on Park Tools for sizing and fitting. Good skill to learn!
  • I have a rockhopper and run an SRAM PC-971 chain, can't fault it. I'm running9 speed XT cassette and derailluers and LX/XT chain rings, not compatability problems at all.

The quick link thing is great fior taking the chain off and cleaning it after a mucky ride.
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    honestly, it is really easy, through the FRONT derraileur but NOT the back, round both big rings.

Then add one complete link (inner and outer) make sure both ends are inners so you can add the powerlink

bish bash bosh... the jobs a goodun
  • bigdavep
    for sizing the chain could i not just lay the new chain down against the old one and make em the same?

Think I'll give it a go myself anyway now. Forgot that the powerlink thing was easy to rejoin a chain. I was thinkin I'd have to start messing about with rivets and such

Dave....
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    better to do it properly, just lining it up implies it was done right the first time, which you never really know...
  • gamhead
    gamhead Posts: 21
    Im trying to fit a PC951 to a 9speed Speccy RH. Not the 971 which is the 1/2"x11/128"

What's the difference? One is just leaner/lighter?
  • Larok
    Larok Posts: 577
    taking it to the shop sounds good.