Altura Altitude Cycling Shorts. Do I need underpants?!!

bomberharris72
bomberharris72 Posts: 44
edited August 2008 in Road beginners
This probably is a really silly question but do you need to wear underwear with baggy cycling shorts? I've got the Altura Altitude ones which are lined but not in the same way, say swimming shorts are. I do wear boxer shorts with them but they tend to chafe. Not wearing them would mean I'd have things swinging about if you know what I mean. Do I need proper cycling suited underwear? Sorry for the daft question but I'm a newbie. :oops:

Comments

• popette
    popette Posts: 2,089
    hi Bomber Harris72,
    I don't wear anything under my shorts but I don't have the problem of things swinging about and I dont' wear baggies either. I looked those shorts up and it says they have integral shorts. If things are swinging or chaffing, perhaps you could get pair of those cycling pants with padded thing in them. My husband sometimes wears those.
    Probably the most useless reply ever but just wanted to say hi anyway and welcome to the forum.
    :)
  • Thanks for the welcome! Not useless at all, good to hear people's advice. Tight soft pants are the way forward methinks.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,538
    popette wrote:
    I don't have the problem of things swinging about

I'm sure we're all pleased to hear that popette! :lol:

Do those shorts have padding at all, the merlin write up seems unclear...?

You can get padded undershorts, or you could just go for a standard lycra cycling short, and wear baggies over the top - I tend to do this for mountain biking only now, having got over my initial neurosis :D

As popette said, welcome to the forum, enjoy 8)

Dan
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • Aye, the shorts have a padded insert. Still waiting for me bum to desensitise though!

Thanks for the welcome.
  • bigjim
    bigjim Posts: 780
    I hve the same problem if I do not wear underpants. Everyhting needs to be tightly tucked away for me so I wear tight y fronts. I know that most on here frown upon this practise but it works for me and I never have any problems even on long rides. But I do use a B17 which stays cool and breathes.

Jim
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    bigjim wrote:
    I hve the same problem if I do not wear underpants. Everyhting needs to be tightly tucked away for me so I wear tight y fronts. I know that most on here frown upon this practise but it works for me and I never have any problems even on long rides. But I do use a B17 which stays cool and breathes.

Jim

I hate swinging about I tend to wear my lycra shorts under a pair of baggy shorts when out on my commute.

I've yet to just rock the lycra and nothing else...
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Ambermile
    Ambermile Posts: 117
    I use underarmour shorts under padded lycra shorts under baggy long shorts - nowt wobbles there!

Arthur
    The Beastie

Sic itur ad astra
  • DonDaddyD wrote:

Me too...

I bought some relatively cheap "Schwinn" (I think) padded boxers off ebay, i think these are great for wearing baggies. I have a slight problem with shorts falling down whilst wearing lycra underneath and not noticing! :oops:

They also can double up on long rides (or in my case when i was getting used to the saddle and initial pain!)
    http://www.KOWONO.com - Design-Led home furniture and accessories.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Me too...

I bought some relatively cheap "Schwinn" (I think) padded boxers off ebay, i think these are great for wearing baggies. I have a slight problem with shorts falling down whilst wearing lycra underneath and not noticing! :oops:

They also can double up on long rides (or in my case when i was getting used to the saddle and initial pain!)

If your shorts are falling down tie the up tighter or wear a smaller size....
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    I got a paif of Altura baggies from wiggle. can't tell you what 'model' as they are in the machine and I ought to take them out if I want to ride over the weekend. I have never rode with anything between me and my shorts in the last 18+ years except one occaisson when I rode to work in tights and for some reason didn't put on my lycra shorts and still had my boxers on :oops:
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • galaxyboy
    galaxyboy Posts: 168
    Wish I had that problem of things swinging about :oops: but I do also wear undies just for comfort.