Knackered seat tube lug

Gavin Gilbert
Gavin Gilbert Posts: 4,019
edited August 2008 in Road general
I have purchased a 1953 Condor frame in 'needs TLC' condition and to my disappointment my first inspection has uncovered the seat tube lug distorted out of shape. I'm 100% certain the original seatpost was seized and someone has made a hamfisted job of forcing it out.

There is obvious distortion around the rear of the lug and to the 2cm of the seat tube itself. The frame is 531 with a 26.8mm tube, but the lug cluster now measures closer to 27.2mm at its worst point. The frame won't hold a seatpost.

Is this a save or skip job? :cry:

Comments

• Dickie
    Dickie Posts: 1,489
    Put a pic up Gavin and lets have a look. If it is doable just post it to me.

I need 2 pencil seat stays for my Hetchins.
  • david 142
    david 142 Posts: 227
    I've spved this type of problem in the past by inserting the correct size (absolutely vital - dont guess!) post and simply using a bolt to draw the clamp area back into shape around the new post. Obviously, success will depend on how bad it is to start with! You might find that you cant get what appears to be the right diameter bolt through both holes because of misalignment. If so use a thinner bolt to start with, but change it for the real thing asap to ensure proper alignment when finished.
  • 4candles
    4candles Posts: 240
    I have purchased a 1953 Condor frame in 'needs TLC' condition and to my disappointment my first inspection has uncovered the seat tube lug distorted out of shape. I'm 100% certain the original seatpost was seized and someone has made a hamfisted job of forcing it out.

There is obvious distortion around the rear of the lug and to the 2cm of the seat tube itself. The frame is 531 with a 26.8mm tube, but the lug cluster now measures closer to 27.2mm at its worst point. The frame won't hold a seatpost.

Is this a save or skip job? :cry:

Thats an Iconic bike... take it back to Condor Cycles and let them repair it for you.
    I'll gladly take it off your hands if you want to get rid...

ed.
  • Gavin Gilbert
    Gavin Gilbert Posts: 4,019
    If all goes to plan (ie. I don't need a trip to hospital on Saturday morning after my VO2Max test) the frame will be left with Condor on Saturday afternoon.

The saving grace being that if it does need a new seat tube I have period 531 stock to replace it :roll:

In anycase, the restoration will force the sale of the Hetchins Experto Crede I've been doing nothing with for a year, but in a way the Condor 'means more' as the shop is still trading and is of course very much part of the London scene.

I'll let you the outcome....