Bowen Technique

the_wooden_man
the_wooden_man Posts: 58
Anyone tried Bowen therapy, either to help with injury or as an alternative to massage? Effective?

Comments

• hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    No. But I have a friend who swears by it and regularly goes to get sorted out (as she puts it). She reports that it does wonders for her (she runs but has a history of general bone/joint problems non exercise related).

I read about it and I have to say I'm quite sceptical, to me it seemed a bit mumbo jumbo like.
  • broachboy
    broachboy Posts: 429
    Hi WOODEN_MAN,

I have been through a course of Bowen for some lower back pain I was suffering earlier this year. My reflexologist is a fully qualified Bowen type person. IMHO I found the treatment to be ultra effective, though you can suffer various side effects during the first sessions, for me these were bad headache and a tendancy for the treated painful area to actually become more painful before it settles down.

Here is her website, it may contain useful info to you, but then again you may have read it all before...

http://www.sarah-jones.co.uk/bowen-technique.htm

If you live in the Wolves area I can highly recommend her. :wink:
    Regards

Andy B

Colnago Active 2004

Guerciotti Alero 2008

Cinelli Vigorelli Road 2018

Colnago C60 PLWH 2018
  • Cheers for replies. Think I'm going to have to give it a try. Even if it doesn't sort out of injury, it'll cure my curiosity!

Andy, how many sessions did you have before you started feeling the benefits?
  • broachboy
    Cheers for replies. Think I'm going to have to give it a try. Even if it doesn't sort out of injury, it'll cure my curiosity!

Andy, how many sessions did you have before you started feeling the benefits?

Only 3 matey, but it was after the first that I felt the most queer, err odd I mean. Must remember to drink loads of water to flush out your system. It left me feeling well out of sorts after the 1st session.
    Regards

Andy B

Colnago Active 2004

Guerciotti Alero 2008

Colnago C60 PLWH 2018
  • broachboy
    it'll cure my curiosity!

Have you ever seen 'Overcoming' ? I expected the sessions to be abit like the ones featured in Overcoming, with plenty of bone cracking etc :roll: :twisted: :shock:

But it was a bit weird, but nothing like that

:wink:
    Regards

Andy B

Colnago Active 2004

Guerciotti Alero 2008

Colnago C60 PLWH 2018
  • drewfromrisca
    drewfromrisca Posts: 1,165
    Can anyone explain what the Bowen Tech involves? I have a problem with my lower discs which are degenerating. Will this technique help?
    There is never redemption, any fool can regret yesterday...

Be Pure! Be Vigilant! Behave!
  • SunWuKong
    SunWuKong Posts: 364
    Reading about it a bit it sounds a bit like trigger point therapy. :?:
  • broachboy
    Maybe this will help you understand :?:

The Bowen Technique involves a gentle, rolling motion, with very light touches. The rolls are supposed to either tighten or loosen off muscles depending on the way the move is done.

The practitioner will stimulate sets of points, often with two minute pauses, supposedly to allow the body to use the move and integrate it into the body's system. The Bowen Technique is not a form of massage, though it does claim to release areas of built-up stress in the muscles, and clients describe experiences of profound relaxation after a session, often falling asleep after the first few moves.

A view held by some Bowen Therapists is that the specific way that Bowen Technique addresses the muscles stimulates the stretch and golgi tendon reflexes as well as joint proprioceptors in a way that heightens the sensory awareness of the body in the area worked on. This can lead to strange sensations such as heat release, tingling and a general increased awareness of the areas being worked. These sensations are sometimes mistakenly associated with some form of "energy healing". Through increasing sensory awareness the move taps into the body’s ability to self regulate which, in turn, practitioners claim stimulate the body to heal itself.

A typical session takes place over 30 to 45 minutes, with occasional 2-5 minute breaks during the session to allow the body to respond to the treatment. Sessions are usually part of a series of three to five sessions, beginning with general stress loading points such as the lower and upper back, before moving on to problem areas specific to the person being treated. However, for the sensitive individual, a session can last only 10-15 minutes.

The Bowen Technique has allegedly been successfully used on animals as well, and practitioners of Bowen Technique for animals can be found all over the world. The Bowen Technique claims to help to re-balance the body, increasing performance, relieving muscle and tendon strain, and increasing quality of life for both performance animals and pets.

HTH
    :D
    Regards

Andy B

Colnago Active 2004

Guerciotti Alero 2008

Colnago C60 PLWH 2018
  • SunWuKong
    SunWuKong Posts: 364
    A view held by some Bowen Therapists is that the specific way that Bowen Technique addresses the muscles stimulates the stretch and golgi tendon reflexes as well as joint proprioceptors
    This sounds very much like trigger point therapy but implemented in a slightly different way.

Maybe the 2 minute gaps allow the treatment of 2 people at the same time?

Oh and thanks for that it does sound interesting, I might check out the courses.
  • broachboy
    and it is very relaxing :D 8) and I did go to sleep for a while :wink: But then I always fall to sleep through Reflex sessions aswell :roll:
    Regards

Andy B

Colnago Active 2004

Guerciotti Alero 2008

Colnago C60 PLWH 2018
  • Had a session on Saturday. It is very relaxing. Whilst lying there I was thinking that something this gentle possibly couldn't be effective. However, following the session all whole of my body immediately felt 'clearer', and the missus reckoned I was walking and moving more freely than I have for ages. Got to say I'm impressed so far!

I'm not convinced it'll actually sort out the problems I'm having on it's own but I feel like its a step in the right direction after too many months.
  • drewfromrisca
    the_wooden_man hope you don't mind me asking but how much do you pay for a session?

• £22 for 45mins (which actually turned out to be 1hr10!). Very good value IMO.
  • drewfromrisca
    Yes it is considering I used to pay a chiro 30 quid for about 10 mins!!! I'll have to do a search on google for my nearest bowen practise.

• Hi Wooden man.
    Tried the Bowen technique about 4 years ago basically out of desperation for a prolapsed disc, found it an absolute load of claptrap, dont waste your money mate. Find a good physio and they'll tell you the same. You can relax by lying on a good bed and listening to some music! This will do nothing for your ailments apart from lighten your wallet. As for my prolapsed disc. A good old epidural from one of our proper back consultants on the NHS and plenty of patience for nature to take its course and heal itself. Plus some gentle physio exercises at home.
  • vermooten
    vermooten Posts: 2,697
    You just have to ride like you never have to breathe again.

Manchester Wheelers
  • broachboy
    Had a session on Saturday. It is very relaxing. Whilst lying there I was thinking that something this gentle possibly couldn't be effective. However, following the session all whole of my body immediately felt 'clearer'

I must say that I felt somewhat the same after my first session. It is amazing the effect that such gentle moves have on your body has a whole :shock: I am a convert, though it is the only treatment the my medical insurance company won't cover me for, I can claim back for all the other treatments :cry:
    Regards

Andy B

Colnago Active 2004

Guerciotti Alero 2008

Colnago C60 PLWH 2018
  • broachboy
    squidge03 wrote:
    Hi Wooden man.
    Tried the Bowen technique about 4 years ago basically out of desperation for a prolapsed disc, found it an absolute load of claptrap, dont waste your money mate. Find a good physio and they'll tell you the same. You can relax by lying on a good bed and listening to some music! This will do nothing for your ailments apart from lighten your wallet. As for my prolapsed disc. A good old epidural from one of our proper back consultants on the NHS and plenty of patience for nature to take its course and heal itself. Plus some gentle physio exercises at home.

hmmm not a happy bunny then. IMHO there is a certain amount of mind over matter in a lot of alternative treatments. You must agree that things are that way :roll: . I swear that certain brand named pain killers work for me, my Mrs says they are crap and buys something else.....
    Regards

Andy B

Colnago Active 2004

Guerciotti Alero 2008

Colnago C60 PLWH 2018