Highest Cols in the UK?

daviddowling
daviddowling Posts: 3
edited August 2008 in Routes
Looking for some advice. I want to tour the highest road passes in the UK. Depends on time but could go for the top 10, top 20 or all the climbs over 500M or even 450.

Problem is I am struggling to find a definative list. The very highest seem easy enough (suprisingly there seem to be a couple of corkers in England, which as a Scot I've always thought of as pancake flat - at least I did until I tried hauling myself over the Kirkstone Pass in the Lakes!)

I think I know the Scottish biggies but Wales seems a bit vague - I was surprised to find no really high passes around Snowdon on the map but then found a 500M+ near Hay-on-Whey.

Can anyone advise?

My criteria are public, sealed roads that are not dead ends (if you just have to come straight back down, I ain't playing! :o)

David D

Comments

• will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    Went over Wanlock head not that long ago. Epic place to be. Very steep going west to east.
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    Some to get you started -

Wales - Llanberis Pass (A4086, 208m above sea level); Horseshoe Pass (A542, 345m a.s.l.); Pass of Aberglaslyn (A498, 47m (really!) a.s.l.)

England (Lake District) - Kirkstone Pass (A592, 454m); Honister Pass (B5289, 356m); Hardknott Pass (unclassified, 393m); Wrynose Pass (unclassified, 393m); Newlands Hause (unclassified, 333m)

England (Peak District) - Woodhead Pass (A628, 461m); Snake Pass (A57, 512m); Holme Moss (A6024, 524m)

England (North Yorkshire) - Butter Tubs (unclassified, 478m); Park Rash (unclassified, 412m)

There's plenty of other up-and-over high level routes that aren't named as passes, but I'm sure qualify.
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic