faster audax

newbie_cyclist
newbie_cyclist Posts: 202
Hi
I'm sure theres a thread on this already but cant seem to find it....

how do I begin to train to complete short (100-200K) audaxes more quickly?

At the moment my only "training" is my commute to work (10 miles each way) + leisure weekend rides (30-50 miles).

I want to be faster!!!

thanks

Comments

• Blonde
    Blonde Posts: 3,188
    I started with 10.5 hours for flat a 200k and have got that down to 8 and sometimes 7 (including stops) even on hilly events. My overall rolling speed on rides up to 200km has actually increased in the last two years from about 13/14mph to 16-18 depending on terrain. There is no quick solution, it's really a common sense approach: I think your base mileage needs to be a bit higher first of all - you need to be able to do 200k fairly comfortably. On the other hand don't just go and ride 200k every weekend. I did that for while and just got slower and slower, over training and wearing myself out. Variety is good. Use your commute as speed training (perhaps doing some intervals) but not every day - twice to three times a week max is plenty. You could then use the weekend to get some base miles in - as you already do by the sound of it, but perhaps alternating a long and steady ride one weekend with a faster shorter ride the next. That way you wont just run yourself into the ground but will get the chance to try to go faster on those shorter rides. Eventually you'll be able to put together the miles and the speed - knowing how fast you can ride for how long is just down to experience and paying close attention to how you feel (unless you have the power cranks/HR monitor combo). Some people seem to do intervals of sorts actually on the audax events (but I would not suggest you try this unless you really know your own ability and limits where this is concerned) . Others simply ride at the same pace (steady) all the way through - steady does not mean slow btw! I'd suggest that you also pay attention to what you eat and be really well fuelled - this doesn't just mean carb loading (I don't do that anymore as it makes me ill and does not help my riding) but you need to think about a generally well balanced and a high quality diet for a good immune system , (essential with big miles) and good quality protein for muscle repair, not just concentrating on pre/during event/post event nutrition.
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    Good answer Blonde!
  • thanks for all the advice blonde
    I will get started!