Olympic diving tensions...

jam1e
jam1e Posts: 1,068
edited August 2008 in Campaign
Just watching the news and following the 8th place by the Brit mens diving pair with that 14yr old,Tom Daley(Sp?), the 28yr old has placed all the blame on the wee fella!

Apparently the trouble started when the older guys mum rang him up as the pair were preparing and the young lad said he'd be better off practicing not talking to his mum :D The older guy said that "he had a pop at me for talking to my parents" and then slagged off his dives!

What a chopper!

1. He's your feckin teammate - dont argue who's to blame in public.
2. He's 14 - you'll look a tw@ if you say anything bad about him!

The fact that I (and most others) have no idea what the older guy's called is probably what's pissing him off!

Comments

• Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Synchronised diving :?: :roll: :lol: :?
  • ColinJ
    ColinJ Posts: 2,218
    Kléber wrote:
    I would have said that until I watched it, but actually... it's really impressive!

I still can't cope with the manic fixed smiles of the synchronised swimmers though...
  • Kléber
    It is impressive but so is solving maths equations, ballroom dancing, juggling, cooking a soufflé and many other tasks. Whether it should be rewarded at the olympics is another thing. What not have syncronised air guitaring?

Plus it's the only sport where the contestants are filmed having a shower. Bizarre.
  • Nuggs
    Nuggs Posts: 1,804
    I have some sympathy for Aldridge. He's put in years of hard work and all attention's on his partner.

Much can happen in the heat of the moment. He came across as a nob and needs some serious PR lessons (don't slag off the guy everyone's taken into their hearts). I'm guessing they're mates again now though...
  • popette
    popette Posts: 2,089
    Kléber wrote:
    It is impressive but so is solving maths equations, ballroom dancing, juggling, cooking a soufflé and many other tasks. Whether it should be rewarded at the olympics is another thing. What not have syncronised air guitaring?

Plus it's the only sport where the contestants are filmed having a shower. Bizarre.

yeh, made great viewing when I was having my porridge. They had on the tiniest shorts as well, which came down ever so slightly after their dives.
  • Parsnip49
    Parsnip49 Posts: 205
    ColinJ wrote:
    Kléber wrote:
    I would have said that until I watched it, but actually... it really is an impressivly cr*p sport!

EFA
  • Nuggs
    Nuggs Posts: 1,804
    popette wrote:
    Kléber wrote:

yeh, made great viewing when I was having my porridge. They had on the tiniest shorts as well, which came down ever so slightly after their dives.
    Is that a euphamism?
  • sicrow
    sicrow Posts: 791
    jam1e wrote:
    Just watching the news and following the 8th place by the Brit mens diving pair with that 14yr old,Tom Daley(Sp?), the 28yr old has placed all the blame on the wee fella!

Apparently the trouble started when the older guys mum rang him up as the pair were preparing and the young lad said he'd be better off practicing not talking to his mum :D The older guy said that "he had a pop at me for talking to my parents" and then slagged off his dives!

What a chopper!

1. He's your feckin teammate - dont argue who's to blame in public.
    2. He's 14 - you'll look a tw@ if you say anything bad about him!

The fact that I (and most others) have no idea what the older guy's called is probably what's pissing him off!

couldn't agree more - :evil:
  • Kléber
    Don't read too much into it. The media seems to have overhyped the comments, the guy's words have been bent too much.
  • toshmund
    toshmund Posts: 390
    Feel sorry for Aldridge, being billed as possibly his last attempt at an Olympic Gold, whereas Tom Daly is a bit downhearted but giving it "Oh, I am here for the experience mainly." Not a luxury that Aldridge can really afford.