Which Afan trail with limited time?

Iain C
Iain C Posts: 464
edited August 2008 in XC and Enduro
I live in the Midlands but I have a meeting in South Wales on Monday and I am very tempted with these long evenings to chuck my bike in the back of the car and have a little blast round Afan on the way home.

I've never been there before, and just wanted a bit of advice on where to go...

-Bike is a Fuel EX-7
-My competence is getting a lot better but I'm no technical expert yet...for me Follow the Dog at Cannock is still fun but not mega-exciting if that makes sense!
-I'm not the fittest person in the world but I'm getting there
-I'll probably have about 3 hours to kill
-I'll be on my own so don't want to be on some incredibly remote trail in case I hurt myself
-It would be good if the bike and pilot did not come out of the forest totally covered in mud and sheep pooh...unless there are bike and pilot washing facilities on site, so perhaps a drier trail would be better...

Not sure if there is anyhitng else I need to bear in mind...is there a "closing time" or similar?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• saxabar
    saxabar Posts: 30
    I'd suggest Penhydd. The suggested time of ride is 90 mins to 3hrs and is 14 miles. It's a top ride and begins with some technical climbing and then onto a long and relatively easy climb to the top. This is then followed by some lovely fast single track, brakes not necessary! The next section is green and can get a little muddy if there's been some rain. This is followed by another short climb and then onto a nice little downhill wooded section. A mile of pootling then another downhill section. Somewhere within this is a super dusty section with switchbacks - gorgeous views and fast as you like. Finally there's another wooded decent and then a little technical climb and descent back to base.

Probably not the best description but it's a wonderfully varied trail and if you're unsure of competence and time, this is the one I'd go for. :D
  • Chaka Ping
    Chaka Ping Posts: 1,451
    If Cwmcarn is closer to where you're meeting, go there instead - you'll have more riding time that way.

Otherwise I'd say Wall or Whites Level - sorry to disagree with saxabar, but they're about the same time as Penhydd and more flowing, IIRC.
  • Iain C
    Great, thanks guys, I'll see what happens!
  • Iain C
    Ended up doing White's Level.

WOW!

First really "proper" trail, made Follow the Dog at Cannock look like a kiddie's ride. Awesome stuff, loved it, going back in two weeks!!!
  • glen4
    glen4 Posts: 250
    I am planning a trip to Afan with my brother in the not too distant future, we both have stumpjumper HT's, both fairly fit (do an average of 50-60 miles a week, predominantly technical off road). Question is what is achievable in one day? Looking at the web I wonder if we could manage penhyd, the wall and white's level in a day, or is that being over optimistic? any views appreciated.
    2009 Cove Handjob
    2009 Cove Hummer
  • Amos
    Amos Posts: 438
    If you start early enough in the morning you could do all three, its about 57km according to the mbwales web site. I have done Penhydd followed by The Wall before which didnt kill me :D

Its a do able distance!
  • Chaka Ping
    Chaka Ping Posts: 1,451
    Yeah, it's easy to do two of them in a day - so you shouldn't have any bother doing all three.

Just maybe leave Penhyd until last as it's the least interesting - so if you get knackered or have too many mechanicals you'll know you;ve done the best bits!
  • glen4
    thanks for the advice, guys, am looking forward to going, being a trail centre virgin. Any views as to whether cwm carn is better than Afan, or vice versa, have a day to spend cycling and both are within easy reach of where we're staying. (we are going on a family holiday to the forest of dean, but are going to sneak off without the missus' and kids in tow :lol: )
    2009 Cove Handjob
    2009 Cove Hummer
  • Amos
    Amos Posts: 438
    I prefer the Afan trail centres over Cwm Carn. Afan has four trails to choose from where as Cwm Carn has one xc trail and a dh trail.
  • trouty
    trouty Posts: 198
    Glen4 i did whites and the wall with a lunch break in about 5 .5 hrs.
    With the mileage your doing you should be able to manage 3 in a day just make sure you keep well hydrated and eat regularly.
    We did whytes 1st which i thought was great and then had some lunch and did the wall which was actually closed on the day we were there and we got **llocked by one of the rangers. He turned out to be a great guy once we calmed him down and he showed us the rest of the way up and just lost all but one of us on the way down. He was in his fifties :shock: Total respect to his level of fitness and trail riding ability 8)
    The was awesome and well worth doing even tho i was knackered by the time i got to the top of it :D
    Absolutley great centre and certainly one i will be visiting again :D

enjoy

paul
  • glen4
    Rode a v.wet W2 last week, basically whites level and the wall joined together by a couple of miles of easy trails, completed it in 3.5 hours and had a blast, decided against penhydd on the day as the weather was closing in, and we were pretty wet and cold, great trails tho' will be going again definately.
    2009 Cove Handjob
    2009 Cove Hummer
  • glen4 wrote:
    Rode a v.wet W2 last week, basically whites level and the wall joined together by a couple of miles of easy trails, completed it in 3.5 hours and had a blast, decided against penhydd on the day as the weather was closing in, and we were pretty wet and cold, great trails tho' will be going again definately.

is the w2 trail way marked know?
  • glen4
    is the w2 trail way marked know?[/quote]

Yes mate, it is
    2009 Cove Handjob
    2009 Cove Hummer
  • steelo
    steelo Posts: 542
    I did penhydd followed by the wall after a lunch break. It was my first proper ride after getting my rockhopper and the drive back to north london (my mate driving) my legs were in serious pain. My calves were rock solid with lactic acid from sucking up all the downhill on the wall.

Definitely going back to do whites level though, much fitter now!
    Specialized Rockhopper '07
    Trek Fuel EX8 '09