Core exercises whilst cycling

beakyboy
beakyboy Posts: 38
edited August 2008 in Road beginners
My lower back muscles need building up, I have been advised to do core exercises on and off the bike. The 'off the bike' ones are no problem, but does anyone know of any 'on the bike' core exercises to do whilst cycling?
May the wind always be at your rear!

Comments

• virtuoso
    virtuoso Posts: 45
    What makes you think your lower back needs 'building up'? A cyclist needs the core and lower back strength of a cheese string. If you're aching on the bike it's because you lack flexibility not strength.
  • beakyboy
    beakyboy Posts: 38
    I have suffered from Sciatica for a few years now. My lower back muscles are very weak and do not protect my spine as well as they should, as a result the Sciatica episodes are more frequent. If i build up the lower back muscles then this would help reduce them.
    May the wind always be at your rear!
  • fuzzynavel
    fuzzynavel Posts: 718
    beakyboy wrote:
    I have suffered from Sciatica for a few years now. My lower back muscles are very weak and do not protect my spine as well as they should, as a result the Sciatica episodes are more frequent. If i build up the lower back muscles then this would help reduce them.

I have Arthritis which affects the sacro-illiac area of my back (just above the tailbone) and get the shooting sciatic pain too. I am currently seeing a physio who has given me standard strengthening excercises for off the bike which seem to be working. I am not quite sure of any to do on the bike but would also be interested to know if there are any.
    17 Stone down to 12.5 now raring to get back on the bike!
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    Riding up hill with no hands is a good way to build core stability
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • fuzzynavel
    fuzzynavel Posts: 718
    Jez mon wrote:
    Riding up hill with no hands is a good way to build core stability

I guess that would fit....hard to keep balance though.... I have a 45 minute commute in the car and try to sit bolt upright for large parts of the drive without supporting myself on the seat. It hurts but I think it is helping as the car creates instability which you have to work against.
    17 Stone down to 12.5 now raring to get back on the bike!
  • dazzawazza
    dazzawazza Posts: 462
    I agree with Virtuoso, you need to improve your flexibility. A few stretches in the morning and before riding should help.
    Otherwise some weight training might help, but be very careful and get some professional advice before starting.
    I do dead lifts and squats with free weights, which builds lower back strength. However, I've been doing this for years and have no previous back trouble; and I avoid doing massive miles on the bike on my weight training days.
    Also make sure to even up any lower back exercises with an abb workout.
    I commute 21 miles every week day, but again I've been doing this for a while.
  • beakyboy wrote:
    My lower back muscles need building up, I have been advised to do core exercises on and off the bike. The 'off the bike' ones are no problem, but does anyone know of any 'on the bike' core exercises to do whilst cycling?
    Not specifically core but these are the on bike training sessions which require you to engage core the most:
    - Standing starts
    - Sprints from a low speed. Both seated and out of the saddle
    - Sprints from speed

Other than that, simply riding harder is usually enough for bike riders :wink: